ID:65407

BYOND Version:440
Operating System:Windows 2000
Web Browser:Firefox 3.0.8

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When I try to use the "flash" parameter for my skin, nothing happens :\ I've tried it on the entire window and on individual elements (even on panes).

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Create a skin file (.dmf)
2. Create any element
3. Create a verb to execute the snippet below
4. Run the world and execute the verb

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
winset(src,"window.control","flash=-1") //whatever for the second arg

Expected Results:
The window (or pane) or element to flash in some way?

Actual Results:
Nothing happens.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games? I don't know
In other user accounts? I would imagine...
On other computers? I don't know

When does the problem NOT occur?
By not using it? >_>

Workarounds:
Create a (label, button) element that will "flash" colors by changing its text-color parameter at runtime (instead of using a tab element in my case).
Spunky_Girl, "Flash" refers to the taskbar button flashing, not the actual control. It can only be used on windows, and it will only show if the window is not currently active.

To see if it works, or if there is a problem in Win2K, make a simple test verb with the code you posted (running on a window) and add a sleep(10) before it. Then run the project, click the verb, and switch to a different window or the desktop. Once one second passes, the taskbar icon from DS should flash until you click and restore it. If not, then there may be a problem with using the flash attribute and Windows 2000.

Anywho, Working fine in Windows XP Home SP3 with BYOND version 440.1018
Oh, okay, I see. Well, I did what you said and I used -1 an 10, but it didn't "flash" perse, it more or less just overlayed the taskbar button, with no "flashing" effect. Is that normal, or is it supposed to do some actual flashing?
I'm not sure what you mean by "overlaid". If you saw an effect on the taskbar, that would suggest the parameter is working at least somewhat. Can you describe what you saw in more detail?
Look at the taskbar on the screenshot. The Dream Seeker task has the "flash" thing going. But it doesn't "flash". It stays how it looks in the screenshot. No flashing whatsoever. Is that normal? I know it works for AIM on my computer (when you receive an IM when the window isn't active, it'll flash on the taskbar).

I did winset(src,"default","flash=10")

I'd say using two windows on the same server to test it.
Use one to 'flash' the other, because the one to be minimized has to be minimized. Also, make sure when you first launch the window, maximize it and then, you minimize it yourself and not use 'desktop.'