Spyro: Adventure

by LXShadow
Spyro and Sparx on their first BYOND Adventure!
ID:65500

A little game I've been working on for a while. It has only eight levels, and, oh dear, I removed everything else that was on this list from the game.

The source code has now been released. You can download it Here, or from my Member Site. I hope you will be able to make a good game out of it! (The link has been updated as of 13/06/07.)

WARNING IN BIG RED LETTERS: [Message in smaller, green letters.] Please do not expect much from this game. It's not like any fun Spyro game, it's just a platformer, and a boring one. Thank you for reading this short and extremely helpful message.

Updates (Day/Month/Year):

13/06/07:
Uh, for some reason, the link to the source broke. It's fixed now.

07/05/07:
As nobody has seen anything about Spyro Adventure 2 for a while (find out why on my Guild Forums), I have decided to release the source code for this game. I hope somebody out there will be able to make a good game out of it (like I said up there)!

01/01/07:
Just so all of you know (I am saying this as if people were looking at this, I know), I am still working on Spyro Adventure 2. In fact, it's currently the only one of my (many unreleased) games that I am working on. If you're want to find out more about Spyro Adventure 2, you can check my BYOND Members' forum for updates. I'm pretty sure there will be a lot, as I'm not using the old (and messed up) Spyro Adventure source for its sequel. Thanks for reading, and have a Happy New Year!

(Excuse grammar bad of me, please, as I tired are getting. It're late!)

04/10/06:
I fixed a serious bug (while testing the game - Yes, I did in the end) that caused the game to crash every few minutes. It's all gone now (infinite loop with the Thief).

03/10/06:
I spent all day working on this update, so a lot of things have changed.

Level 10 has finally been finished, now, you get to chase after a thief (which is rather smart, or would be, if it were any faster).
Many bugs have been fixed, and you don't need to know how many there were! (Some are still hiding there though, but it'll not be a problem. See further below.)
Gliding is now more useful, you move a bit faster, and you stay in the air for longer.
Fixed a wall... In the middle of Level 2... I seriously overdid it with the players' complaints.
Also removed the invisible floor in Level 2, making the game harder...
Moving in the direction opposite to the direction you are facing while in the air will make you change directions instead of directly moving the other way.
Falling down can be slightly smoother.
The ZIP file has reached a rather large 1.95MB, so expect the game to be a little bit slower than normal.
Added the Gem Detector - complete the game to get this (not fully complete it, though.)
I'm keeping the old host files, because this version was mainly untested (my Internet connection has been breaking down every four minutes and fifty-five seconds). Find them Here.
And finally, the game has ended. You can now complete it with all 1100 Gems. No worries though, Spyro Adventure 2 will come! Stay tuned... For a while... Probably a long one, actually.

02/09/06:
Again, a long time without updates. Boss levels have been removed because they were too ugly (and stupid, but not as stupid as me!!)... That's about it.

12/07/06:
It's been a while since I last updated... This update is just to show that I'm still here, just veeeery slow...
Half of Level 10 is done, you can tell when you've reached the end of the half...
Browser Speak has been added, letting you use the browser to talk and send messages more easily.
Clean Compiled this time...

14/05/06 (Finally released!):
Home Worlds are done.
All levels unlocked have been reset. (Though your other saved stats (server-side) are still there.)
Ratchet and Clank icons made, expect them as playable characters soon!
Level 9 is now playable.
Unlike the old Level Select, you can now go to any level you want at any time, in that part of the Home World. (Example: You just came in, but unlike older versions, you could start off with the Boss Level, Level 1 etc.)
The game should have more NPC characters some time.
And this game seems to have put on another 1.7 megabytes... I'll Clean Compile next time...

3/05/06 (STILL UNRELEASED):
I just thought I should show what I'm doing at the moment...
Firstly, I'm thinking about adding characters (that you can talk to) to levels. Moneybags has already been added to Level 9 along with Spyra (to ride on!).
Secondly, I'm trying to find a good screenshot of a snow level from Spyro Fusion (Orange) to rip.
Thirdly, I'm thinking about adding Ratchet and Clank as characters (I finally got A FEW sprites).
Fourthly, I'm adding a Home World.
Fifthly, I'm trying to figure out if "fifthly" even exists.

That's about it. I'm starting to work on other projects, so this one will slow down quite a bit.

22/04/2006 (UNRELEASED):
Sparx Arena has been removed.
Players can now Charge other players by holding down the C key.
The Chatting Area has been removed.
You can now access Sparx Arena through a button on the Level Select Screen.
You can now play as "Sheep", if unlocked.
Land 5 is in the making.

20/04/2006:
The Zoe character is now fixed.
Fixed a bug where going to Sparx Arena will freeze you as Sparx.
The Level Select Screen now has a new background.
The Level and Boss Buttons now have new icons.
The Flying Meter/Bar (whatever I called it) has a new icon.
ZIP file's size has dropped down to half its old size for some reason...
Sparx Arena still isn't ready yet, but you are now allowed to go in and see what it'll be like.
New Bug (YAAAY!): Sometimes, you will see some bugs as Sparx. This is a BYOND bug and cannot be fixed.
The C key no longer takes you to the Chatting Area. Use the icon at the Level Select Screen instead.
Hosts can now change the World Name and Status.
GMs can now speak to all servers in one go (and I've hidden how it works. Find it and win a prize! Joking).
The last character you played as is now saved.

12/04/2006:
Two new characters added - Zoe (once you've unlocked Sparx), and Spyra (Spyro's sister).
Removed client-side saving, running the program crashed with it.
Fixed many major bugs.
Bosses no longer disappear after defeated (UNTESTED!).
Please do not go to the Sparx Level yet, it's incomplete. I just needed to update quickly.

Controls:

Tab: Exit the level you're currently in.
Space: Flame.
S: Strafe (if in Sparx Arena).
C: Charge.
Up: Jump.
Up when in air: Glide (in normal levels), or Fly (in the Chatting Area).

Other "Stuff":

Powerups:

Superfly: This powerup looks like a pair of wings. Grab it, and you will be able to Fly instead of just Glide. You will see a counter on the screen showing how much time you have left when you get this powerup, so you can't Fly forever!

Superflame: This looks like an (ugly) ball of fire. Get this, and you will be able to shoot fireballs instead of just Flaming. You will see a counter on the screen (again) telling how much time you have left (again). Once you run out, your Flame ability will be back to normal.

Random Objects (...):

Whirlwinds: These look like air currents, moving up (or some may say they look like ugly white lines flashing about). All you have to do is walk, Jump or Glide into one and it'll lift you right up to the top until you jump off.

Blowers: These look just like Whirlwinds, exept they push you in a different direction (and they look uglier and flash even worse). Be careful, they're used for a few traps in some of the levels!

Buttons: Only found in the fourth Land, these things can change your falling direction to whatever they choose. For example, if you went down when falling and fell onto a Button, it will most likely make you fall up until you fall on another Button.

The Ground: Y-... Uh... Sorry, I think you already know.

Gems:

Gems are found lying around nearly everywhere in the game. They look like green jewels, but are very valuable. It's best to pick one up whenever you see one. In the future, I may add buying from Moneybags. Let's just wait and see! Oh yeah, and also, you can't pick up one Gem more than once. Sorry. Go Here for more information (but not much more).

Secret Areas:

Secret Areas are found in nearly all (non-Boss) levels of the game. They always have some Gems in there to search for. Be sure to look out for these Secret Areas, and DO NOT let anyone know where any of them are, unless you have my permission, alright?

HUDs

Gem Count: This is found at the top right of the screen. It keeps track of your Gems, and updates every time you collect one.

Powerup Counters: These are found at the bottom-right of the screen, on top of Sparx, once you get a Powerup that adds a Counter to your screen. It updates about once every second.

Boss Health Meters: This is found at the bottom of the screen when you enter a Boss Level. It updates every time the Boss in that level gets hurt (poor him!).

Rings Counter: This counts how many Rings you've gone through in a Flight Level. This appears in the same spot as the Powerup Counters.

Sparx Health Bar: This is Sparx's health. If he's gold, you won't die if you get hurt. But, if you do get hurt, his colour will turn blue. If he's blue, you still won't die if you get hurt. But if you get hurt AGAIN (*sigh*), then he turns green. This is your last don't-die-when-hurt colour. If you get hurt then (bad player!), Sparx disappears completely. Get hurt again and you die. Die, and you go to the Level Select Screen. Go to the Level Select Screen, and you'll want me to be quiet already. Thank you, have a nice day.