Same thing I'm doing. Although I'm wondering if I should make it real-time because I want it to be multiplayer. If it's multiplayer, turn-based would be a problem since the monsters move every time a player moves, which would ruin it for another player since they haven't taken their turn yet.
You could always have a global queue where players make their moves and then the world as a whole makes its move after each player has made their move. Just put a minimum time per move clock and if players don't take their move they remain idle that turn.
Of course you'd have to make inventory management quick, otherwise the game would either get bogged down or people would miss their turn a lot.

Edit: I'll give this contest a go. Starting 6:25 US Central.
Alright, I'm going to start now.

12APR2012 - 10:40PM Eastern Time.

My entry ends:

19APR2012 - 10:40PM Eastern Time.

Here we go.
can one post their app on byond?
check out my site for my post to say when i started and stuff
I started work on a roguelike engine a few months back, but I hit a few snags and eventually was overwhelmed by the scope and the tons of features I never got around to adding. I might salvage what I can from it and make something small and simple for this if I have the time.
^ the perfect explanation of why i find it tough to keep working on a game, dat's why i'm going dis, i am actually really enjoying developement at the moment!
oh yh wait a sec i think i posted mine like yesterday or something
wait wat do we do wid dem when we've finished tem?
You just leave the link. At then end, I'll make another post listing all the entries with reviews of them as well.
I'm doing my best to keep things quite organized, as I may release a base of it when this is over, as was suggested before. It's coming along well so far.
do we have to release the src, dmb or exe
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
We were discussing making frameworks on Forum's blog last year. I can't remember what happened to that though. It was another one of those spur of the moment ideas that everyone just talks about and says "hell yeah, that's a great idea" and then a week later everyone forgot the discussion even took place.

I dust off the RTS framework and work on it for an hour here and there. The sidescroller library is pretty close to being a framework. There's not that much you'd have to add or change to make a simple platformer (and there's not much else the library could provide that's not too game-specific). I've been thinking about making some frameworks that use the pixel movement library, or at least an action RPG one.

The biggest problem is there aren't many people who would make use of them. They wouldn't be useful to complete newbies, and BYOND's "intermediate" users wouldn't need them as much and wouldn't be as interested in them. These kinds of projects will only succeed if there is a group of people interested in using them and a group of people willing to participate in the development. The BYOND community just doesn't have enough decent game developers for it to work.
In response to Forum_account
Well, that's a good point about the developers. I've been hoping that having good frameworks around, and easily obtainable would reduce rips and fan games, and increase original games though. Obviously that's not easy to make them do, but a lot of the cause of rips and fan games is people lacking skill or being lazy, and wanting to take the easy way out. Anime does, after all, have countless resources and ideas to pull from; especially in the four main Anime people run to on BYOND.

That's probably wishful thinking on my part, but it would be nice to see people using frameworks more and ripped sources less. It's a serious problem, even now. If nothing else, certain frameworks might lead to us getting more of a type of game BYOND needs; like roguelikes.
EVen if it's something really simple; Almost like a 'My First World' kinda thing, but with more options and pointers.
Just wanted to update that my entry is coming along great and there will be lots of work done this weekend on it.

in addition, i would also like to point out det i will have plenty of time over the weekend to get on with my entry! it's looking pretty good at the mo
Why don't you post a picture, then?
k then mate, what's the html pic code? never normally use pictures
Page: 1 2 3 4 5