ID:67324

It sucked.

It started strong, then they proceeded to bring in too many characters, not develop them enough, failed to kill silverfox at the appropriate time, and the worst most unforgivable thing they did:

They ruined Deadpool.

UNFORGIVABLE, they completely completely butchered his story and downplayed his personality and style. Screwed, that's how I feel, I had two favorite characters in this movie Gambit and Deadpool, Gambit barely got any screentime and absolutely NO character development and Deadpool end being screwed up so royally it isnt even funny.

Oh, by the way, you know how you always thought characters with regenerative powers could die if shot in the head (in wolverines case in an area without adamantium bone), or with an adamantium bullet, or if they got their head cut off? yeah none of those work. Essentially there was no suspense or consequence of any fight involving: Wolverine, Deadpool or Sabertooth.

How can I care at all when Wolverine and Sabertooth are fighting when they are shown being shot and blown up in major wars for the opening sequence? it is made abundantly clear that close range gunshots to the body and head do nothing, hell it turns out the worst you can get out of gunshot wounds to the head is amnesia. So go see this movie if you like invincible characters causing things to blow up and characters with potential to become dead, do that, go watch it if you want to see the most franchise ruining since XMen3.

If you need one sentence to keep you from watching this movie, its this:
(SPOILER)

"Deadpool gets an adamantium skelleton with retractable hand Katanas as well as wolverines regenerative healing factor, Cyclops' optical blasts, teleportation and still after getting Decapitated manages to survive in the after credit bonus scene to allude to his anti-climactic return in some other butchered Xmen movie.

(/Spoiler)

Honestly, I think that anyone expecting the movies to follow the comics exactly will be disappointed. Just like they've been with, well, every other movie version of comics.
Indeed. That's how it generally (and naturally) is with any form adaptation like that. Sometimes the adaptation differs from the original for the better, sometimes from the worse. Also obviously depends on who you ask; a fan of the original may like it less, but a person that has only seen the movie may prefer it, etc.
this just in: comic book nerd upset that a movie doesn't follow the comic book accurately

more at 11

I haven't seen the movie and probably won't, but the game is fun. It's too easy and there are glitches, but the combat never gets old.
If I recall Wolverine got shot in the head during the second movie. It took some time to regenerate but he did it from close range.

This movie wasn't that great but the idea of the movie was great. I just wish the devlopment was more then shown. It's a shame the game had so much potential.
In my opinion the movie was good in terms of the fighting and action. But that is about it. I didn't like how they did not follow the story.
Well wasn't it meant to be before the whole story took place?
I'm going to see it, only because it CAN'T be any worse than X-Men 3.
the only thing i didnt like about the movie was the the weapon x program took place after the vietnam war, in the comics the weapon x program took place during World War2
Damn... I though I was the only one that thought it sucked.
I'm bummed they ruined Deadpool.
In the game, you saw Deadpool for about 15 seconds- 5 seconds before the last boss fight, then you spent about 10 seconds killing him and then the game was over. A real blow-over for an end-game boss, especially considering the rest of the game was really enjoyable combat-wise.
For everybody who thinks all movies are doomed to ruin the comic books they are based off of, I disagree:
Spiderman 1
Spiderman 2
XMen 1
XMen 2
The Watchmen
Ironman
The Hulk (most recent one)
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight

They do a great job of these adaptations sometimes, and I do not get mad at them for taking some liberties with the canon behind it, but this was far too much.

Also, Wolverine did get shot in the head in the 2nd movie, but he has an adamantium skull so it didnt do anything but break skin, in this movie wolverine gets shot repeatedly without the adamantium AND after he has an adamantium skeleton he gets shot through the head with an adamantium bullet and only suffers amnesia. Anybody can tell you, that ruins any level of suspense a movie can have.

Also in one scene, after having given wolverine an adamantium skelleton and he escapes, Stryker tells one of the X-Force members to kill wolverine, knowing full well he just made him invincible, he sends Agent Zero to go kill wolverine with regular bullets and even says "Cut his head off" as a solution to killing him, even though he knows full well that he JUST personally gave wolverine an industructible skelliton, then in a later scene the same guy, Stryker has adamantium bullets made for himself, however Agent Zero is a marksman and if he hadnt been sent on a suicide mission and given adamantium bullets in an earlier scene it would have made a million times more sense, the movie had plot holes so large it wasnt even funny.
Why so down on XMen 3? Of all the XMen movies, I thought that was the best. An even better question, why do you list XMen 2 as a good movie? I thought that the mediocre nature of XMen 2 was universally accepted.

In fact, I would list these two movies as perfect examples of where adaptation needs to occur in order to turn a comic book story into a good movie. In XMen 3, they did just that. In XMen 2, they tried to present a comic via a movie, and it was boring as hell.
Xmen 2 was good because there was character development, and nightcrawler was really wicked in it. The assault on the academy and the development of new students and everything was wonderful, but no Xmen movie has really done the series justice, Xmen 3 though was just silly, it was like the third lord of the rings movie's battle scene but with mutants, you dont actually have any character depth just a whole lot of cameos and deaths, completly burned any bridges that the Xmen series had because they offed Cyclops, Jean Grey, Professor X and pretty much any character that is core to what XMen is. Also they cast the best Beast and did a fantastic job of some of the characters but never actually had them do anything.

IainPeregrine wrote:
Why so down on XMen 3? Of all the XMen movies, I thought that was the best. An even better question, why do you list XMen 2 as a good movie? I thought that the mediocre nature of XMen 2 was universally accepted.

In fact, I would list these two movies as perfect examples of where adaptation needs to occur in order to turn a comic book story into a good movie. In XMen 3, they did just that. In XMen 2, they tried to present a comic via a movie, and it was boring as hell.

You gotta be one of the few people I've seen that actually liked Xmen 3, and felt it was better than X2.

Maggeh wrote:
You gotta be one of the few people I've seen that actually liked Xmen 3, and felt it was better than X2.

It's probably because I don't know much about the XMen. Where you see a character who was turned into a pathetic whiner, who's cool backstory was trashed and who got much less time than he obviously deserved for all the utter coolness he's given us throughout the years, I just see a good side-story about a young man and his father. The young man struggles to fit in because he's different, and his father wants to cure him of this affliction. In the end, we see that the father should have shown his son that he was good the way he was, and his 'affliction' ends up saving the father. Good movie material, but it's ruined if you know anything about the character.

Where I see a battle with seventy cool mutants, each with a unique power, you see seventy awesome characters who were nerf'd and then killed without giving them the time their character deserved.

They took some gutsy moves, too. They killed off Cyclops, whom I've never liked, which allowed Wolverine and Jean's story to be explored without having to address the Wolverine / Cyclops story. Great move when trying to make a 2hour movie! They showed the Pheonix disintegrate the professor in what was an absolutely perfect scene of everything going to crap very quickly. Magneto getting depowered, and suddenly he's just a weak old guy terrified by memories of the Nazi? Great! Logan kills Jean? Great! That part where the six XMen jump down and Wolverine yells "Hold this Line!" against 'his own kind'? That was basically the climax of the movie, where we see the difference between the XMen and Magneto (the XMen view humanity as a whole, whereas Magneto sees mutants as separate from humanity).

I can see a great movie because I know nothing about the comics. Or you could just attribute it to me having bad taste.

At least they'll be able to insult me sufficiently with the live action Cowboy Beebop movie that's comming up. Keanu Reeves as Spike? Who's ass did you pull that out of? Oh wait, I know: Keanu Reeves' >:|
So deadpool has Cyclops' optic blasts and Nightcrawler's teleportation (minus the smell of sulphur) in addition to his old powers?

Smells like a teleport-kamehameha from the eyes will show up in a fan parody.

To everyone who hates seeing the old continuity of the comics cast aside for the movies, remember that the movie universe is a different continuity. It is necessary. They don't have the time to develop each character as its fans desire, and need to pander to the larger audience to fund the filming of the next movie.

Maybe they'll reboot the movie universe again someday, after comic book movies are even more popular, eh?

Comic books, movies, cartoons, manga. Multiple continuities (versions). Even multiple versions within the same genre.

Masterdan wrote:
the development of new students ... they offed ... Professor X ...

Remember how the Age of Apocalypse timeline got created? Professor X assassinated, Magneto turns over a new leaf, etc etc? I think the time is ripe for Apocalypse, with Cable coming in as the antihero.
Wow Thats sucks then.
Wonder if the Game is any better lol
I think its stupid when people follow the comic for YEARS and expect a 2 hour movie to show them everything. Changes are necessary, If you go in not expecting a comic book replica you leave with the 'decent movie smile' you go in expecting a replica you leave with the 'angry comic book fanboy frown'

Its quite realistic to me that wolverine would survive the headshots, only folklore says chopping off an immortals head kills the being. And for all you know the bullets missed the part of the brain that controls the healing factor o.o

I watched the mockup, im going to watch it tomorrow night, but from the mockup i didnt see a bad movie it seemed decent to me. Action packed, which is what i would expect from a wolverine movie. Com'on it is, wolverine
Page: 1 2