ID:67447

Poll: What Area Did You First Start In Game Development?

Programming 46% (26)
Pixel Art 39% (22)
Sounds/SFX 0% (0)
Graphics/GFX 5% (3)
[Other] 8% (5)

Login to vote.

I'm just curious to know what some of the Game Developers started at. It doesn't have to be BYOND necessarily, because I originally started at YoYoGames as a Pixel Artist. I made many games with profit involved but soon after that I expanded to BYOND, whether people think it was a jump backwards or forwards. It's actually two questions here. Where Did You Start Game Development and What Area. Please answer both!!!
Ideas.
My first area of game development was with BYOND. When I first found BYOND, it was actually against the rules for me to download things off the internet, and I also had a time limit on my internet.. I was able to sneak on by fooling my parents to make me get on their internet. At that time I downloaded it, but was only able to do things offline. Because of this I only programmed. The idea at first was actually to program anyways. I had gone for years wanting to learn to make games. BYOND was a gift from heaven when I found it. I remember the first thing I ever made offline was actually a blank map with you as a red square to move around. I was so proud of such a simple thing that took almost no effort!(actually lots of effort at the time, surprisingly).
My first area of game developement was Pixel Art, it was outside of BYOND. The first thing I ever touched was RPG Maker 1993 I think it was, which was horrible and I found there was a 2000 version shortly afterwards. Then after that, I use to hang out on the ZFGC forums, I tried C++, failed miserably and then went onto Game Maker. After Game Maker, I went toward something incredibly easy. MUGEN. After MUGEN was BYOND.

But I always use to pixel Sonic stuff. Lol.
I started doing pixel art in iDraw3 about seven to eight years ago. Then I got into a game making suite called RPG Maker 2000 (and later RPG Maker 2003).
RPG Maker was a great way to really develop the logic for programming. The scripting language wasn't exactly object oriented, which was kind of a pain, but it was more than enough for what I needed (and for what a lot of other people needed) at the time.

What's really impressive, is that RPG Maker's language (the one with the buttons, I'm not talking about Ruby) was capable of producing combat systems that completely flatten and dominate EVERYTHING that's on BYOND right now.
I'm not over exaggerating either.

If you're good at digging up old stuff, try looking up the following:
- Chimera Report by Dguy
- Phylomortis (I don't remember who it's from)

Anyway, yeah. Now, RPG Maker VX is probably MUCH MUCH MUCH more powerful than BYOND is, actually, because of the support for Ruby. I haven't really toyed around with it, though. I'm not particularly interested in it.

Heh, wow I got off topic.

[EDIT]: More reminiscing...

It was actually my forum stalking of Dguy (To get more updates on his projects. He was a RPG Maker god) that lead me to BYOND. Just thought that was something interesting I'd share.
I think it's fairly obvious that you need to change your text from white to black. I need to highlight everything to read it >_>
Dont worry about the CSS it's getting worked on, come back in a day or so.