ID:685545

Would it be possible to implement something like this into byond. Being able to rotate a base or mob by 360 degrees so you could walk around in any direction. I am not saying that every icon in the game will turn. I am not saying that the camera will turn. It would be something where only mobs can turn at 360 degree angle. This would make Byond combat systems,exploration and many more system much better. Like for example in Zelda games on the nintendo DS you can turn at a 360 degree angle but nothing else can. This addeds to the immensiveness of the game and makes it great. I honestly cant see anything that Byond has now being able to copy something like that. But if this was implemented there would be possibilities and much more quality games would be made.

Anyways whats your thoughts on this?
You can do it yourself now by just turning the icon, but as Zaltron noted, there are feature requests for less intensive and easier-to-use methods.
The Pixel Movement library has demo (in its control-schemes\vehicle\ folder) of this kind of movement - the left and right keys rotate your mob, the up and down keys move you forwards and backwards.

The feature requests are just to improve how the graphics are handled. The actual movement is still something you'd have to implement yourself.
Dj dovis wrote:
I am not saying that the camera will turn. It would be something where only mobs can turn at 360 degree angle.
Personally, I think turning the camera would be pretty awesome as well.
In response to Kaiochao
Ye it would be good too but I doubt byond will ever implement anything like that
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
Dj dovis wrote:
I am not saying that the camera will turn. It would be something where only mobs can turn at 360 degree angle.
Personally, I think turning the camera would be pretty awesome as well.

The feature request I made asks for that too (a client.angle var). Graphically it's about as easy to implement as rotating objects, the only difference is that a rotated camera can see objects outside of the normal view area. They may have to change how the server determines which objects to notify clients about (BYOND already handles this differently for top-down and isometric maps), but this is a good thing for them to update. A few simple features could have a huge impact:

1. Use quads instead of sprites.
2. Allow for rotation of objects and the camera.
3. Add some additional camera control so you can change the "angle of attack" (so you can make something like an isometric view) and the viewing distance.
4. Add a display option to show an atom as a cube instead of a flat quad.

And that's a 3D display mode that opens the door to lots of other user-implementable features: zooming in and out, an over-the-shoulder view, a first-person view, etc.