ID:68709

Poll: What kind of Game would you want to see?

Sabre XI Remake 6% (2)
Real Life Sim. 13% (4)
Shooter Game 3% (1)
Space Game 10% (3)
Original PvP Platformer 36% (11)
Spacestation Survival 10% (3)
Fan Game!(Post what) 10% (3)
Other(Post what) 10% (3)

The polls are now closed.

Well. I haven't been on BYOND a lot lately, although I was working on a mini-project. The game was a top view shooter, much like my second/third XI projects. I had a basic system with shooting, a decent amount of graphics(all custom), and some cool mechanics. Such as the grenade system where you hold the button with the meter going up and down to choose the impact speed/height(go over objects). Also the in-progress melee system which I was planning on being very unique, and other things as well.

Anyway, I'll get back on to what I was saying. While working on this project(not that much) I thought for a second. When you look at BYOND, what kind of games does it need. It has many Anime, Survival/Horror, different shooters, lots of fan games differing from Final Fantasy to Mega Man, etc. Although, I thought back to when I had Crisis XI ready for the early beta test. I made that game since I thought BYOND NEEDED some sort of Side-Scrolling RPG, since it has not been done. Being unique is always good since you stand out, but not always enjoyed by the community. So I'm thinking of asking YOU(The community) on what style of game I should start to work on. Feel free to suggest anything, I'd prefer a Action or RPG-style game. I'll give some ideas here, post any "others" you would like to see.

1. I was mainly thinking of re-creating Sabre XI with a style that Crisis XI sort of had. So a 100% custom graphics RPG/action platform game having many things to do in an open world like the main story-line, extra missions to destroy you opposing side(there are 2 factions), PvP.. etc.

2. A real life simulator, sort of like my old-school "Real Life" game but with a better approach. Games like Grand Theft Auto you can only live life the hard way, but this game you'd most likely live by owning a business, farm, etc.(Or become a criminal or cop, etc.)

3. My shooter I mentioned earlier. Many different game-types, and maybe a built-in story mode eventually. Basically what you see in most BYOND shooters except tweaked to perfection.

4. A space game! Much like my old(fail) space game, Mission XI. Maybe on planets it could be like a platform game, or just generally normal. Go around making your ship better, getting a crew, fighting, etc..

5. A 100% PvP platform game. If I made this, I would like to put it in the XI series since It'd be nice to make everything have an animation, most fan-game genres would limit you to sprites of their game. It'd be mainly a "Team Fighter", like Team Deathmatch, CTF, with vehicles and such.

6. A space-station horror survival. Somewhat like Murder Mansion or Mafia. Everyone has a job, like a scientist, engineer, guard, etc. Than you place some bad things, like an infection(disease, or a virus that makes people turn into zombie-like creatures), an assault on the space station, and more. Anyway, pretty much a group of players work together to try to beat whatever is trying to kill them all!

7. If all that is garbage, why not a fan game. I wouldn't accept doing a Castlevania game since I would never go threw the hassle of working on that again. BUT I'd most likely work on a decent Mega Man X, Sonic, Halo, FF Plat former, etc. Mostly any sort of game that's not Anime, but it would be nice to have someone assisting me with the sprites.

8. Suggest whatever you think would be a good idea for me to make :)
You seem to enjoy creating platform/action games, and I'm not sure why. Megaman is a great game, but games like that don't translate very well to BYOND. They're fun sometimes, but the controls are usually difficult to use and they feel very "clunky."

The space survival/horror game sounds pretty neat, I would look forward to playing a game like that. The real life simulator sounds fun, but I don't think it would work unless you had a large player base.
Well I can do pixel art, but a large player base could add up to a problem. I'd most likely use a pixel movement if I made a platform game that didn't have AI(Loads of AI/players + pixel movement is lag).

I really enjoy Action/Platform games, and if they are done correctly the controls are not a problem. If you see the battle system I could make(just need to re-make since it's now gone), you'd change your mind on the controls.

It's simple but affective, since you don't need to be remembering macros and just smash the buttons correctly. For the Melee I had, you just use the direction keys + (Your set key) for your different attacks(or combos), and if you and a person hit each-other, you smash the direction key and within 2 seconds who did it the most stuns the other.. Charging was also available, and such.. Just an example of non "Clunky" controls, instead of a direction pad or key macros.
Exploration / Adventure.
Foomer wrote:
Exploration / Adventure.

That reminds me of a Boat System I made before. I was going to actually make a boat game.. It'd be cool to make a game where you explore the seas with a large crew of human players, in a huge open world.. Not 100% sure on how the idea WOULD work but it'd be a nice thing to see.
naruto! XD
Jjs6 wrote:
naruto! XD

Ahah, sorry pal but I'd never make any game that is Anime.
Flame Guardian wrote:
Foomer wrote:
Exploration / Adventure.

That reminds me of a Boat System I made before. I was going to actually make a boat game.. It'd be cool to make a game where you explore the seas with a large crew of human players, in a huge open world.. Not 100% sure on how the idea WOULD work but it'd be a nice thing to see.

If you make anything, make that. Crews of motley pirates roaming the sea on large boats of varying types(such as in Cosmic Peril), pillaging and plundering.

However, genre doesn't really matter... just make anything that's fun to play. I'd actually play Naruto/DBZ games if they were any fun and did not require previous knowledge of the anime just to get by.
Yeah. I'm actually thinking of that now. I remember getting a little bit of work on a system for that, and I might be able to track it down(I have no sources of anything). Which could help me start it off, I'm liking that idea the most so far though. Pirates, Navy, Merchants, etc.
At any rate, here's a cool example of how to easily have large dense movable boats, by ACWraith: http://www.byond.com/developer/ACWraith/BigBump
Well the system I had was pretty simple. You enter the big version of the boat in the map where you walk around. Than it takes you to the sees in your average size boat(like another map for boats, and one more map for your crew inside the boat).

So in your new map area for the players to go find what position they want to take care of. So if you choose to use the cannon you control one and choose when it can shoot. Or other things like the wheel, swivel gun, bailing water, etc.
But large dense boats could also be fun to use. Either version would be just as fun.
Cosmic Peril uses the former (small ships once you've lifted off), but I think that with all the new possibilities with interfaces, you could just make the game maximized or fullscreen with a minimalist interface and let players see a larger amount of the map at one time so that they can see what's going on around them while still seeing the awesomeness of their big cool boat with all their friends on it.

Not only would it make each player feel more involved in the process, but it adds extra duties (players on certain areas of the ship could see more in that area, so they can provide information to assist the navigator, etc).
Yeah, I remember seeing that in Cosmic Peral. But yeah, that would work if you used the non-small ship once lifted off. OR maybe you could make it so you have 2 screens(somewhat like a Nintendo DS).

One is your boat, and lets say a cannon ball hits it in the smaller version(not so small, but smaller) it'd impact the actual players, shake the boat and maybe someone goes overboard or gets harmed(a doctor could assist them) And a person using maybe the telescope could see more so he could help navigate(One screen is on the boat, and the other is the open see so the telescope could help point out stuff). The person actually driving would have a shorter view and would need help from the person using the telescope/etc.

I am getting ahead of myself, but brainstorming.. Maybe the view/movement of the ship in the open sea(if the small/big ship idea is used), could be different than what you'd expect. Not so fast paced, pixel movement and waves splashing the ship, obstacles smashing it and putting it out of place(and effecting the crew)
I think you should make a Naruto game.
Stephen001 wrote:
I think you should make a Naruto game.

No anime, sorry.
Strategy.
KershiVelix wrote:
Strategy.

Elaborate.
Something that actually makes you think, and does not need two clicks just to do something in the game, kind of like Incursion. A war-type game wouldn't be half bad either.
Off topic but I like your CSS
Page: 1 2