ID:70470

is there an easier method to memorizing everything procs variables etc... i remember in my visual basic.net class we had vocabulary and stuff that helped a lil but is there an easier method? instead of hours and days of memorizing every little step?

if you know an easier method or an online tutorial that would help thanks alot
I don't think anything's better than just using them regularly...

It's best to start with the basics, the kinds of things that you'll use the most often, and then slowly add more and more as you progress...

There's no need to memorize it all at once, or even to memorize all of it at all, as long as you learn all of the things you'll need on a regular basis, and work your way up from there...

It's probably also a good idea to at least get an idea of what's available, so you'll know what to look up later on if you need something more advanced...

[Edit:] It's like learning any language... Children learn all of the words that they need to know (mom, dad, eat, etc.) and some of the simple names for things in the world around them (dog, cat, ball, etc.) but they don't learn stuff like "antidisestablishmentarianism" (or even "establish") until much later, when they've reached that level... Some words, most people don't even learn at all...

So the point is that a programmer needs to start small, and work slowly up as they practice and add to their vocabulary...
It's better to just remember key words and concepts than to ever learn function names. Not that learning the names of methods isn't helpful, though. The idea is that if you ever want to work with a different language copytext() probably isn't the term for getting a portion of string data, so, instead you want to know the term string and search whatever reference material you have for functions dealing with retrieving a substring. Over time you'll become more familiar with the language and you'll have to do less searches.
Whenever you forget a proc/var/type etc., use the search function in DM's help (F1)
Trying to memorize everything in a programming language is crazy. What if you decide to program using the .net framework which has over

Total Fields=37057
Properties=17345
Methods=74236
Types=13486

That is probably a very modest count too.
I think that SuperSaiyanGokuX has it. My suggestion which I give everyone is to have a stupid game which you can just do whatever you want in. If you learn a new thing, go to the stupid game and do as much as your mind can handle with this new proc or whatever. I guarentee that you wont forget it unless you stop coding for a long time. You'll also have the perfect place to go look and see what it does if you forget.