ID:71619

Keywords: convert, dmi, icons, utility
I'm having some downtime with Efencea considering that Tayoko is off in making-money land, and, as such, I intend to put some time into spiffing up the Icon Utility I made awhile back. As previously stated, I originally made the Icon Utility for myself but built upon the concept to try to relieve the spritesheet-to-dmi woes of the local pixel-art teams. However, before I actually commit myself to this, I'd like to ask, is it worth my time? As in, is there any demand for a more useful and clean Icon Utility?

If I were to rework the utility I'd be:
  • Redoing the interface entirely.
  • Moving away from the grid control.
  • I'd like to find a way to determine the dimensions of files.
  • Detect what I believe to be interlacing. (Not sure what it is really, just that some sheets looked as though they were woven when output to the grid)
  • I'd also implement multi-tile animations as requested.

I might go so far to turn the Icon Utility into a full on icon editor. Which, is most probably NOT worth the time, but I could see it being a fun little project. This would be complete with an editor file format, that supports layering, and any and all effects I could squeeze out of Lummox's IconProcs library.

Also, all suggestions are gladly welcomed, so, please share any comments/ideas that you have.
Do it!

Thats all i have to say.
Im sure it would help the lives of artists such as Miguel by making operations like Multi-tile animation so much less intimidating and time intensive. It's also good to remember the larger the sprites, the less things seem generic around here.

People would be encouraged to make larger sprites that would definatly appeal more to the outsiders of byond. Developers should get in the habit of not limiting themselves to some grid of 32x32 and this could be one of the factors that move them towards doing so. I can see this being as useful or being used as often as a few of Shadowdrakes libraries.

I'd say do it!

Do i need to say more :P?
Nothing related to the topic. I love your CSS.
Thank ya kindly, sir. I made the imagery myself!