ID:718408

I recently converted to linux mint 12 and i want to play byond games on wine such as i did on kubuntu. i downloaded the game and allowed permissions for to play byond. BUT when i click on the icon i shows a loading. but it just stops there....yea...i have the latest wine version. help would be appreicaited.
Rod5 wrote:
I recently converted to linux mint 12 and i want to play byond games on wine such as i did on kubuntu. i downloaded the game and allowed permissions for to play byond. BUT when i click on the icon i shows a loading. but it just stops there....yea...i have the latest wine version. help would be appreciated.

You may be better off going on to WINE's forums and asking the question or look for a solution...
Wine support for BYOND is kind of variable and sketchy. Without having used mint 12 myself, I can't really offer specific advice, but your best bet is probably Flame Sage ( he used to maintain the Wine listing for BYOND ) or Stephen001 ( who contributed to Wine. )

General advice that solves some people's issues with running BYOND on Wine;

Make sure you have the proper permissions. The easiest way to check if that's a problem is to try installing and running BYOND as root, and if it works then ... somewhere along the way, you've had a permissions problem.

Secondly, is your install of Mint 12 up to date? Have there been any kernel updates or anything of the sort?

WineHQ suggests the installation of mfc42, vcrun6 and wsh56 using winetricks. There's no test data done on Mint 12 there, unfortunately, but you might get some specific help if you can find another mint 12 user somewhere. (All the test results on WineHQ for BYOND are Fedora, Ubuntu or Gentoo.)
Personally, it runs okay on Gentoo, but the graphical rendering is god-awful.

Minor trivia point; Wine is called Wine. It isn't an acronym, and it doesn't stand for 'WINE Is Not an Emulator' - that was a backronym. Go check the website. ;)
Are you using the beta version? if so try one of the "stable" releases
Wine and BYOND have never really worked all that great together.

Another solution would be to run Windows in a VM for 100% compatibility.

http://www.virtualbox.org/
Sure it worked all that great together, it's just we as a community kinda ditched on supporting BYOND on Wine, and so Wine doesn't know it doesn't work well with BYOND anymore. ;)

Hopefully I'll get a VM up tonight to see. What version of Wine are you using, and what version of BYOND?

Edit: Also, Flame Sage, do you want to turf over some details for managing LinuxGuild?
I sent Tom and email, but yeah I'll message you tonight and we'll see if we can come to a solution.
Also, what version of Linux Mint are you using? Gnome, KDE, LXDE, 32 bit, 64 bit?