ID:71935

Poll: Should I implant the Pixel Movement?

Yes 50% (9)
No 50% (9)

The polls are now closed.

Read:The pros and cons before you vote.

I've been conjuring up a new Pixel Movement for my new platform fighter, and I've come across some problems. The game could be much greater if the implantation of pixel movement wasn't there, but it could make the game-play experience not as new and engaging as players would like it to be.

The problem is that perfectionism of pixel movement is a long dark road. I have fixed up a playable version, but it does crash the server if you "abuse" it. By abuse, I mean not just walking like you would in a game, but just smash random directions or if you feel like switching/pressing multiple direction keys at a time. This leads me to either making the game-play more difficult by not allowing you to do certain movement patterns that crash the server. Or to just create a new pixel movement system that doesn't work the same as this version does. Now don't get me wrong, it's smooth and nice. But a polished game could never have random crashing.

Now I wish for my game to be a unique fighter, and not having pixel movement would get rid of a lot of the uniqueness. Although if you look at my previous post, I have many ideas planned which will make it differ from all other platform fighters. I will list the pros and cons of having and not having pixel movement and let you guys decide what should be done.

Pixel Movement
Pros
-A more smooth and versatile game-play
-To have a completely new movement system from other platform fighters.
Cons
-I may know the cause of most server crashes, but the only way to fix it is creating a totally new pixel movement in another variety
-Player limits would be very low, 4~6 maximum

General Movement
Pros
-The player limit would not limited
-A.I would be possible to add for team games or even different game-types like killing off enemies or bosses
-Changes can still be applied to differ the movement from other Gravity/Movement systems
Cons
-One of the main differences from my new fighter is thrown out the window
-The ability of being at any X or Y on the screen would very much decrease the versatility of cover and other mechanics

And as I promised, here is a screenshot of the "Test Version" of the project. This screenshot incorporates the pixel movement system. It just shows off the test projectile system(not like I want to it be later on), usage of cover.. Just some general things. The mobs wouldn't look like that in the full version and this is just a very alpha version.

As you can see, the actual player base is not done. I am trying to think of what exactly it'd look like. If any pixel artists would like to help me with a base, it'd be greatly appreciated. I want a approach that is smaller than my Crisis XI base since I want a very large amount of states. So nice looking like Crisis XI, smaller like Sabre XI, but with a "Mega Man Zero" look to the character(maybe).

Least you didn't write too much this time. The text still goes off screen for me ;)

As far as the pixel movement goes, we did have the talk about that. I say Yes and No. Yes for a single player version, No for a multiplayer version. It just doesn't work over a server and is way too laggy. I would enjoy playing with your pixel movement alot in single player, though. There are so few single player games like this and I would love a nice in-depth and well made one.

You said the player limit would be around 4. I think it's too laggy with just 2 players.
Yeah, I tried fixing the problem and it didn't work out. Although it only seems to do that I think with Windows Vista. It'd be nice if someone could suggest what the problem may be.

As well, I would enjoy making a single player version AFTER I create a working multi-player version. Just taking the A.I and setting them up in levels using the different Battle Grounds Tile-Sets that I'm making up. But for now, your answer would be a "No" since I'm working on a Multi-Player version.
You can cut out the lag for the most part by using your own networking protocol with world.Export() and world.Import() and at the same time have pixel movement.
There are quite a number of libraries that make this easier for you. ( My favorite is gakumerasara's Client-Side processing demo ) And that's just one way to do it. You could also use a p2p protocol.

These are great alternatives to BYOND's own networking system. And in my opinion even faster as the current networking system lacks major features.