"But X-Men in space... how awesome is that?"

Already been done! The mutants end up setting up a space station in orbit to get away from all the normal people who hate them.

I cant believe I remember watching that cartoon (it was a long time ago)
Yeah, a trip to Mars would take about 1000 or so days, but it's more of a question about whether or not the astronauts bodies could handle the radiation, especially in such a long period of time, and so deep in space. The risk of getting cancer, from what I've read here -http://exploration.nasa.gov/articles/ 17feb_radiation_lite.html, goes up by 1%-19%.... and yeah, a bunch of other information is there >_>
Solar sails take ages to get started though, Jp!
Yes, Elation, Solar Sails take a while to get started. But they can accelerate constantly, and a 'regular' spaceship can't. Over the Earth-Mars distance, a solar sail is faster.

Over the Earth-Moon distance, a solar sail takes a year and a half. :P

Of course, that's with the orbiting the Earth at the same time sort of problem thingy.
"Will we ever get to Mars?"

No.

Meh, in my opinion, we shouldn't focus our time trying to inhabit another planet, it's like delaying the inevitable. I would rather make futile attempts to create a type of Material that can withstand the sun's heat.
Divine, you are an idiot. Please keep out of discussions on scientific topics, because you obviously have no idea about them whatsoever.

1 - Going to Mars is NOT about colonising it - At least, at the moment - It's about scientific discovery. There's still a hell of a lot we don't know about Mars, and going there makes it a lot easier to find out some of this stuff.

2 - Have a look at some statistics on Mercury. Temperatures range from 90 kelvin to 700 kelvin. When the sun goes all red-gianty, then the Earth may be even closer to the sun then Mercury is. At the least, those temperatures are good. Most metals won't melt in those temperatures, but the rapid variation (This is after the solar wind tears our atmosphere right off) in temperature will completely destroy anything you throw at it. Basically, there's no way that life will survive the sun turning into a red giant.

3 - The sun goes all red-gianty in a few billion years from now. I think we have plenty of time.

4 - Going to Mars doesn't avoid any of the problems caused by the sun going all red-gianty. Leaving the solar system and finding a new one is a far more workable solution.

5 - We really, REALLY need more space. Overpopulation is a serious threat.
Yeah, the sun won't get all "Red-Gianty" for another 5 billion years :/ The Earth's only been around for 4.8 billion years... yeah >_< just thought I'd throw that out there...
JP saidL
Basically, there's no way that life will survive the sun turning into a red giant.

Even if a substance is found/created that could save humanity from the sun, what next? The Earth gets like, nearly 100% of its energy from the sun. Unless you could invent cold fusion or something awesome like that you'd be stuffed! =(

Over the Earth-Moon distance, a solar sail takes a year and a half. :P

Dude, can you even imagine trying to fly one of those things?
Dinner time would be terrible.
"Pass the potatoes, will you?"
You'd end up reaching for a potato and snap the wing right off. =(
Why would you waste your time pointing out someone's stupidity, go do something productive....

He is being productive. In his own awesome way.
"He is being productive. In his own awesome way."

No he isn't. Acting like you're superior to everyone and pretending you're always right about your dumb opinions is not productivity. But I can't blame garthor. Someone like that is probably shunned in real life and must take it out on the internet.

(/sarcasm) God, I always feel REEEEAAL insulted when some dipshit on the internet makes a blatantly false statement about me.

Edit: About the topic, I think they're planning to send people to mars around 2020. Mars isn't really habitable, but who knows what they'll do.
Gathor is extreamly awesome. Dont ever say anything different.
Look, I didnt even read the comments, I just know that if Garthor replied, he probably owned someone. so shutup.
He owned Kami good.
How about, stop kissing ass?
Because people seem to enjoy their absolutely false psuedo-science:

1. When the sun goes all Red Giant, it will engulf all the inner planets. That includes Earth.

2. 100% of the energy on Earth comes from the sun.

3. "Cold fusion" doesn't maen "energy from nothing." Fusion is the process by which all stars generate energy, through the process of fusing small atoms into larger ones. For example, two deuterium atoms (1 proton, 1 neutron, 1 electron) fuse into a single helium atom with a mass slightly less than the two deuterium atoms (93.3%, I believe). The excess mass is released as energy (according to E=mc^2).

4. Try reading the Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars). Interesting read about colonizing Mars.

5. Shut up, Solbadguy500.
What exactly am I sucking up for?

Garthor just owns, I find him to be very funny.
What? I was stating that Gathor is awesome. I'm not trying to kiss anyones ass.

A fact is a fact, and stating it doesnt mean I'm an ass kisser.
Its funny that we both took offence to that.
I also enjoy Garthor's presence
Garthor - The only correction you've made is about cold fusion, the other two above that weren't really neccesary. What they said wasn't absolutely false either, there was a basis behind what everyone has said, it wasn't made up out of thin air, even if there are a few untrue statements. Absolutely false pseudo-science is like saying the Moon has been scientifically proven to have been created out of cheese by the mighty Cheese Gods.
Page: 1 2 3