ID:73486

Keywords: jacob, kid, smart, son, vocabulary
So, most of you know that I'm a father now (as of the past year and a half), but what you're all unaware of is that my son is incredibly smart (at least we all think so, and I swear none of us are biased in any way ;) ) And though vocabulary is only a small part of the intelligence puzzle, my kid knows a huge number of words for his age (as far as I'm aware) Here they all are, as well as I can recall them all (remember, he's only 1&1/2, and much of this list he's known for months; though as expected per child development around his age, he has very recently hit an explosion in learning new words) Most of the following are actual, honest-to-goodness, plainly spoken words, and some are approximations or baby-talk mispronunciations (which I'll make notes on as needed):

Family members:

Mommy
Daddy
Paw-paw (paternal grandpa; this is slowly turning into "grandpa")
Me-me (paternal grandma; she's referred to as "Grammy")
Papa (maternal grandpa; this one should stick, as that's what we refer to him as)
Mama (maternal grandma)
Me (himself, in pictures or the mirror)
Nick (his closest-in-age cousin)
[Uncle] Bryan (my brother)

Animals:

Dog (which says "Arf")
Cat (which says "Mao")
Bird
Moo (Applies to cows... he doesn't say "cow" yet, though)
[Gi]raffe
Lion (which says "Roar")
Frog
Pig
Fish ("feese")
Bee (not just a random sound; actually applied to the insect, both in pictures and real life)
Duck
Monkey (this one is currently just "mee", but he applies it to primates)
Bear
Mouse (still just "mao", but again, applied correctly)
Owl
Sheep (which says "Baa")
[Ze]bra
[S]nake
Elephant ("Ahh-phan")
[Butter]fly

Foods (and related):

Eat
More
Bite
Cup
Milk
Chee[se]
Apple
[Ba]nana
Ice Cream ("i-keem")
Water
Ju[ice]
Fry (for french fries)
Pop (even though he never gets any)
Cookie
Egg ("eyeg")
Butter

TV characters (we watch a lot of Nickelodeon):

Dora
Boots
Go-go (Diego)
Bob (Spongebob; he also recognizes the other characters, and can approximate their names, like "Pappur" for Patrick and "Kwurd" for Squidward)
Ming-ming (the duck on "The Wonder Pets")
Ernie
Elmo
Carly (the girl on "iCarly"... he seems to have a crush)

Body parts (including locating/pointing to them):

Eye
No[se]
Mou[th]
Ear
Hand
Arm
Feet
Pee-pee (this was discovered a few months ago, and diaper changes and baths haven't been the same since)

General nouns:

Phone
Night-night
[Out]side
Slide
Swing
Bubble
Car (which goes "Beep-beep")
Truck
Van
Bike
Plane ("Pane")
Train ("Tane" which goes "Whoo-Whoo")
(The last few relating to vehicles, he uses to correctly identify each type of vehicle he plays with or sees on the road, and the sounds they make)
Baby
Ball
Shoe
Shirt
House
Light
Bath
Stairs
Seat
Clock
Drum
Flower
Balloon ("Ba-oon")
Book
Star
[Re]mote

General verbs:

Stop
Go
Stand
Clap
Roll
Climb
Jump
Peek
Fart (he's a boy, what can I say?)

General adjectives:

Hot
Cold
Off
On
Up
Down
Stuck

Interjections:

Hello
Hi
Bye
No (much to our dismay)
Aww (for hugs)
There!
Whoa!
Wow!
Oh no!
Aw, maaaaan!
Aw, c'mon!
Duh!
Uh oh!
Hurray!
Yay!
Boom!
All done/gone!
Mmmmm (occasionally after taking a bite of food)
Ahhhh (occasionally after drinking)

He's also polite:

Please (well, more like "pwee", but he actually uses it when asking for things)
Thank you ("ankyu")
Excuse me (more like "cue me", but he knows when to use it, and even urges us to say it when we make bodily noises)

Higher concepts:

He's recently been learning colors and numbers... He'll say two, three, four, or five if prompted with the number(s) before (though I'm not sure if he gets the concept, or just has the sequence memorized) For colors, he seems to have blue down pretty good, and can make almost discernable words for red, white, black, brown, and green (he sometimes needs a reminder), but blue and red seem to be the only ones he can correctly apply when asked what color an object is...

I know that learning things is his thing (as with all children), but I'm continually amazed and impressed by the little dude...
Carly (the girl on "iCarly"... he seems to have a crush)
Your son has fine tastes.
Ever think your Son will be on BYOND When he grows up?

Other then that, DAMN! Your Son turning out Really well.

More words please. xD
My baby is cousin is 1 year old and doesn't know half as many words as that; your son must be extremely smart! I'd be proud too. ;)
At this rate he's going to have a larger vocabulary than me in a year or two. :(
Just wait until he learns fun phrases like "bullshit", "no", "fuck that", and my personal favorite, "I can wipe my own ass". My cousin managed to learn all of these in about a week. whatever you do, don't laugh, because then that's all you'll here when little Jacob wants attention.
Very cool!
Get'a life.
Get'a life!

? Are you serious? The guys a parent bragging about his child. I really hope I'm missing something other then the fact that this guy seems to be a fucking idiot.
Teach him to program while he's a baby and he'll grow up to be an uber haxxor!

"awt-ehfoor ahn deweet sistm irtee too!"
Did anyone else think this was going to be about MurderMansion's improved AI doing something cool?

I was disappointed. :)
Flame Sage: It's always possible to put his son behind a computer and have him play Murder_Mansion over and over, pretending to be an AI.

SSGX: Be careful! Those with Asperger syndrome have an increased vocabulary as well. Wouldn't want him to turn out like me, do you? Other than that, nice. :)
All that's left to do now is to teach him how to program so he can work on Murder_Mansion while you work on DBTC. =P
SuperAntx wrote:

His First Program vvv

mob/verb
eat()
set category = "NOW"
world<<"Baby eats"
usr.full=1
Sadly, on comments it doesnt allow me t indent xD
;)
Cyberlord34 wrote:
SuperAntx wrote:

His First Program vvv

mob/verb
eat()
set category = "NOW"
world<<"Baby eats"
usr.full=1
Sadly, on comments it doesnt allow me t indent xD
;)

Babies don't get full so easily, they chew on everything and if it's edible, they eat.
Someday, I'm sure I'll try to add "if", "while", "for", "mob", "proc", etc. to his vocabulary, but I'd really like to avoid being one of those parents who push their kids into doing the things they did, or the things they wished they did, or whatever... So unless he shows an interest in what daddy's doing (most kids do), and asks to be taught, I'm not going to force it on him...

Same thing with any of my other interests... I'll probably show him DBZ someday, but if he isn't into it (or anime at all) then that'll be the end of it...

I do find myself wondering what his interests and talents are going to be, and consider myself lucky to be well-rounded enough (or good enough at faking it) that virtually anything he decides to like or do, I can join in with him, or at least talk to him about it (unlike some parents who simply don't understand the things their kids like, from video games, to music, to sports, to whatever, and there ends up being a gap between them) Not that I plan to shove myself into all of his activities and interests, but if he ever asks me to join him, or wants to talk about something, I'll be able and willing...

And thankfully, Data, he doesn't show the symptoms associated with Asperger's, and at his last pediatrician's checkup, they had me fill out a questionaire designed to detect signs of Autism (and, I'd assume by association, Asperger's), and he passed that just fine... So for the meantime, it appears that he just happens to be talented with words...
More good news is that he appears to be a lefty like his dad! He still uses his right hand off and on, but he seems to definitely favor the left...
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
consider myself lucky to be well-rounded enough (or good enough at faking it) that virtually anything he decides to like or do, I can join in with him, or at least talk to him about it

You say that now, but just you wait and see what his generation's hip-hop turns out to be.
Yeah, music will likely be the biggest difference...

There isn't much of today's popular music that I like (I'm definitely not into rap and hip-hop, which seem to dominate today's music), let alone tomorrow's...

But, I'm willing to let that slide (unless things keep up with the current trend, and become even more hardcore and explicit... the second I hear him listening to a song about torturing and killing kittens or hookers, he's getting cut off...lol)

Hopefully, he'll take after me in the regards that I like a very broad range of music, including stuff that goes all the way back to the 40s... So hopefully, he'll be into listening to at least something I like...
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
More good news is that he appears to be a lefty like his dad!

That sounds wrong in like 10 diffrent ways. lol
Kids are getting smarter nowadays
Thats also a lot of words for his age.
Even tho im still a child i find that i wasnt very bright for my age you got yourself a little genius.

i was also hoping if byond is ever around that long if you intended to show byond to your child?
Page: 1 2