ID:73810

Hello Folks,

Right now I'm trying to find the most dependable firewall software, and I've tried numerous and for some reason, I didn't feel like I was protected by them, is anyone currently using firewall software (Not Windows FireWall) that they advise me using? I want the best protection for my computer. lol
I have Trend Micro's PC-Cillin. We first got the firewall/virus protection five years ago as a response to yet another virus taking our computer out completely(all the way to were we had to re-format). Once you purchase the program, it will give you a one year free subscription. Afterwards I'm pretty sure it's just fifty dollars to restore your subscription(annually). The only reason you would want to keep re-subscribe is because it updates practicly(if not) daily.

Anywho, in short.. I've had(I think) one MINOR virus since we got PC-Cillin... So yeah.. Pretty much speaks for itself.

Also, you can have up to three computers that are allowed to Register(you can have more then three added however I think it costs a little bit more).
Windows XP SP2 is great, I mean I dont see why you need a third party firewall when you can just slipstream SP2/SP3 into your WindowsXP install and have a clean OS with a firewall that works. Hell I dont even use an antivirus, I have NOD32 but I only use it as an on demand scanner for torrents, I think people overcomplicate security, keep windows updated and scan anything you download thats an executible. In my experience in fact, I've had more problems with third party antivirus/security suites than without, because Norton and others typically cause problems with games or applications which end up being as inconveniencing as a real virus.
All the programs to keep my computer fast, and virus free:

-RegCure
-Spybot: Search and Destroy
-Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
-Comodo Internet Security
-Hicjack This
-Spyware Blaster
-ATF-Cleaner

And if I encounter major problems, I have a lot more... But I'm not moving onto that. Oh, and "Online Armor" is an amazing firewall. And Scotty Winpatrol will also be helpful.
Get the AVG 8.5 Anti Virus, It warns you when you enter a bad site and scans your computer, I believe its for money and you need a CD for it. Not sure my uncle installed it for me :P
im interested
I'm a little late here, but avast! is great, I've only gotten one obscure, not-so-harmful virus since I installed it.
-Soul.Survivor.Snowman- wrote:
Get the AVG 8.5 Anti Virus, It warns you when you enter a bad site and scans your computer, I believe its for money and you need a CD for it. Not sure my uncle installed it for me :P

Trend Micro PC-Cillin also warns you when you enter a bad site :p.. I'm constently getting some red pop-up telling me how I've entered a dangerous area with spyware... It seems alot of Google adds wanna give ya spyware >.<
Somehow Spybot search and destroy messed up my computer badly, one day I went to turn on my computer, and all the icons were gone, plus the start button, and the blue bar beside it. My background image was small centered and the only way possible to open programs was to open Task Manager. So I took it to the tech and said the program was Spybot search and destroy.