ID:73819

Pretty awesome, eh? I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu, running a standard windows install of the latest version of Spotify under WINE and there's no banner ads and, crucially, no 30 second forced ads every few songs.

If you google it apparently the community is kind of aware of it. The ads just never arrive. Not sure if it's just a glitch caused by WINE or if there's some grey-area code messing with it?

http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/ spotify_does_not_have_any_adverts_in_wine

Keep this on the low, eh guys?

Anyway, here's some new pics from my birthday (just after, actually, dropping sue off):

bristol bus station

same place

unsteady camera at temple meads

grumpy

staring match

Pretty interesting, I haven't heard about Spotify.
Have you been running BYOND on Wine as well?
I did a quick search of BYOND members- you guys don't know about spotify? I would've thought it'd be pretty big news, it's been all over the news over here...

And I don't run BYOND on WINE, sorry!
I, too, had not heard of this "spotify" until now...

A look at the site explains why:

"Not available in your country yet."
Honestly, when I get a service free and legal, going around one of their methods of compensation does not strike me as "pretty awesome". It tells me to avoid listening to consumers promoting new distribution models because they're just going to leech everything anyway.

Granted, I live in the US so I'd use Pandora anyway (with my ad blocking disabled on the site).
ACWraith wrote:
Honestly, when I get a service free and legal, going around one of their methods of compensation does not strike me as "pretty awesome". It tells me to avoid listening to consumers promoting new distribution models because they're just going to leech everything anyway.

Granted, I live in the US so I'd use Pandora anyway (with my ad blocking disabled on the site).

Well, this isn't going around, so much as "the best we can do". This is a market they don't even target in the first place, the support has come from the users of Linux and so the priority on getting this ad situation resolved will also come from the users of Linux. Chances are there happen to be a great many other areas of higher priority to Wine users. I'm sure if they contributed patches to Wine that fixed the issues and met the community standard, it'd be a no-brainer to merge and be resolved.

If they made a Linux client and people were circumventing parts of that, I could appreciate your disdain. As it is, they wrote this market off in the early requirements stages of their service.
My disdain is not for the priorities of WINE developers. (Actually, there isn't really disdain so much as thinking that the situation is unfortunate.) I'm commenting on the tone of the post.

"Pretty awesome, eh?.. Keep this on the low, eh guys?"
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
I, too, had not heard of this "spotify" until now...

A look at the site explains why:

"Not available in your country yet."

It's been available in your country for a long time! It's called pandora.

I don't see it as particularly surprising, both consumers and business ditched the notion of a fair deal decades ago, particularly in music. Common attitude is us vs them and will remain so until there is a social shift in both the consumer and business, the latter of which is ideologically opposed to a fair deal if it is not more profitable overall than the current situation. I guess the question I'm always left with is should I need to pat business on the back for actually trying something new to get my custom.

I don't particularly agree with either stand-point, but my brand of thought process has always been considered too liberal, personally optimistic and frankly hippy for most people's tastes anyway.

Minor point, it's Wine, not WINE. =P
AC:
Would you complain if I switched over to another channel or muted the volume during the ad break on TV? :P

If you have a problem with my tone, then I'm sure the CEOs of Sony and the RIAA and the rest will come and congratulate you personally for sticking up for them so loyally.

Only they won't, because they're too busy cashing in their millions.

I'm not saying that stealing or depriving a 'free' service of ad revenue is a good thing, just merely pointing out that there's little use in having sympathy or concern for the guys behind spotify because they sure as hell don't care about you!

Stephen: you're absolutely right. It's the nature of capitalism that businesses will always try to screw you over (pretending to be the good guy is more profitable than actually being a good guy, so it'll be the former that always win out), so screwing them back with every opportunity is the only way to keep things equal!
Sounds cut throat and pessimistic, but that's the reality of economies where the government doesn't rule businesses with an iron fist.

Anyway I'm a little disappointed you guys just talked about spotify instead of commenting on the pictures of me and my girlfriend! It's like this was an online community based around a programming language or something.
I commented on the text rather than the author. You might not think it's a good thing, but your post says it's pretty awesome. I never really went for the whole "text displays the complete intentions of the author" deal they taught in my English classes. =)

I'm not sticking up for the RIAA. I'm sticking up for alternative business models because I agree that the traditional business models are failing.

...As for the pics, I'm 32 and feel creepy staring at a certain age range so take a late "happy birthday" instead. ;)
Haha, there's nothing wrong with a bit of intergenerational loving! Some one of my best friends is black in her early 30s.

And thanks. I can't believe how old I am. The other day some 13 year olds yelled "cunt" at me and instead of letting it go, I stopped, went over and told them off. I'm already grumpy and middle aged. :(
I'd have told them off as well. But only 'cause I'm an asshole, not 'cause I'm grumpy. ;)
Oooh, you're English, Bristol is a great place, happy late birthday, hope you had fun.