Solomn Architect wrote:
Also, uncontrolled open world PvP is the worst idea ever created in the history of BYOND games, to date. It's worse than even the punching bag macros. Allowing high-level players to punish and grief the newbies at their own will is what makes playing a lot of these anime games, horrible. Yeah, I get your original idea, "Oh, open world PvP makes my game more realistic! It gives players a choice!" Well, not really. I don't play a game for it's realism, I play it for it's entertainment value, and I would much rather have some unrealistic fist barrier between my face and another player's wrath, than die every 6.32 seconds because some 12 year old who's level 1,783,437 thinks that I'm having more fun watching my sprite lay itself over, time and time again.

I'd generalize that to say that the "open world" idea is one of the worst things in BYOND games. It's not just specific to PvP. Game developers assume that if they create an open world, people will find a way to have fun in that world. There are games that work like that but it's not that simple, it actually takes a lot of work to make sure the open world environment will be fun. When you don't put in the work it backfires and ends up being a mess. You've noticed it backfire with open world PvP but it can happen with any aspect of the game.
Page: 1 2