ID:75559

there are just some humorous/insightful images i've garnered

starting with the funnies and moving down towards the profound ones

nice ones. i like the last one especially.
my favorite quote from the last one is 'Christians dismiss 9,999 religions as false. Atheists dismiss just one more than that...'

anyways, where are the religious people, aside from the anonymous nays? i want to start a pointless but fun flame war
love this post
Zaole wrote:

anyways, where are the religious people, aside from the anonymous nays? i want to start a pointless but fun flame war

I wasn't gonna post at first but uh "hey I'm religious"..0_0 Didn't nay your post though, I respect your beliefs of non belief....

Zaole wrote:
my favorite quote from the last one is 'Christians dismiss 9,999 religions as false. Atheists dismiss just one more than that...'

I liked the big list of people we should kill, personally. Either way, just wait 'till Fugsnarf sees this, he started a massive flame war on my stem cells-twins-no soul blog post.
Love that last pic... where'd you get that one from?
Your Going To Burn In Hell Eternally Along With Homosexuals
Bootyboy wrote:
Love that last pic... where'd you get that one from?

4chan, same as all the others. :P
Nice load of bias there. I do feel that the world has done a pretty good job of screwing up religion, so my only comment is on your Wheel of Power's "Why believe the bible?" question.

Why believe the bible? Because:

1. The bible gave predictions that historically came true hundreds of years after they were predicted. Examples:
* (Isaiah 44:24, 27, 28; 45:1-4; 13:20) It predicted the fall of Babylon as well as HOW it would fall, and the fact that it would never be rebuilt. Babylon is in Iraq, and there's nothing but ruins there to this day.
* (Jeremiah 49:17, 18) It predicted the destruction of Edom, which was taken over by Judah 400 years later, then the whole concept of Edom disappeared when the Romans destroyed Jerusalem 200 years after that. If it weren't for archaeology and the bible, we probably wouldn't know that it had ever existed.

2. The bible's scientific accuracy on matters that weren't even discovered until much later. Examples:
* Isaiah 40:22 describes the earth as being a circle, versus the whole flat earth concept that was popular back then.
* Job 26:7 speaks of God hanging the earth on nothing, versus the dumb but popular standing on elephants and sea turtles nonsense. :P
* God gave the Israelites laws on sanitation that were not understood until much later. Even some of the laws he gave way back then are being understood, only recently, to protect people from disease.

3. Historical accuracy. The bible mentioned names of people who've only been rediscovered via archaeology in the last century or so. Many people thought those characters were made up, until evidence was discovered to prove that they really did exist.

So to answer that with "because the bible is infallible" is not right. At least, not for me.
I looked up the passages you listed relating to Babylon, and... they had no relevance to Babylon. The closest passage entailed a description of "break[ing] down gates of bronze", which is an extremely generic prediction of the fall of a city, wouldn't you say? In addition, I'd like to think that the eventual fall of a city being "predicted" isn't much of a feat, seeing as how-- you know-- it's inevitable.

I'd also like to see your explanation as to why all the sections of the bible that espouse things such as killing homosexuals somehow aren't valid or relevant now that it's no longer acceptable in our society (or do you believe they should be?). You seem to take all the lucky guesswork or vague passages to be deliberate and detailed descriptions of future events (applying hindsight to make connections, yay), so surely you take the whole bible as something to be taken seriously? Sure you don't believe one can merely cherrypick what sounds good and ignore what sounds bad?

edit: and in response to your first comment- yeah, the images are biased. :P that's the idea. they're mostly just funnies, except for the last one, which is a really good compilation and does not express bias or rotten logic. i'd like to see your responses to the arguments made there
Borrowed from the NIV translation:

Isaiah 44:

27 who says to the watery deep, 'Be dry,
and I will dry up your streams,'

28 who says of Cyrus, 'He is my shepherd
and will accomplish all that I please;
he will say of Jerusalem, "Let it be rebuilt,"
and of the temple, "Let its foundations be laid." '

Isaiah 45:

1 "This is what the LORD says to his anointed,
to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of
to subdue nations before him
and to strip kings of their armor,
to open doors before him
so that gates will not be shut:

2 I will go before you
and will level the mountains [a] ;
I will break down gates of bronze
and cut through bars of iron.

3 I will give you the treasures of darkness,
riches stored in secret places,
so that you may know that I am the LORD,
the God of Israel, who summons you by name.

4 For the sake of Jacob my servant,
of Israel my chosen,
I summon you by name
and bestow on you a title of honor,
though you do not acknowledge me.

This isn't the only prophecy regarding Babylon's waters being dried up. Jeremiah 50:38 (and surrounding paragraph) state something similar. True to those prophies, Cyrus entered Babylon by diverting the water of the river into an artificial lake a few miles north of Babylon. Then his army went down the riverbed, climbed the slope leading to the wall and entered the city's copper gates which had been left open.

Cyrus also put out an order to rebuilt Jerusalem.

Looks pretty relevent to me.

Zaole wrote:
"all the sections of the bible that espouse things such as killing homosexuals"

I'd like to know where "all the sections" are that say this. What it does say:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (New KJV) states: "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God."
Foomer wrote:
Borrowed from the NIV translation:

Isaiah 44:

27 who says to the watery deep, 'Be dry,
and I will dry up your streams,'

28 who says of Cyrus, 'He is my shepherd
and will accomplish all that I please;
he will say of Jerusalem, "Let it be rebuilt,"
and of the temple, "Let its foundations be laid." '

Isaiah 45:

1 "This is what the LORD says to his anointed,
to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of
to subdue nations before him
and to strip kings of their armor,
to open doors before him
so that gates will not be shut:

2 I will go before you
and will level the mountains [a] ;
I will break down gates of bronze
and cut through bars of iron.

3 I will give you the treasures of darkness,
riches stored in secret places,
so that you may know that I am the LORD,
the God of Israel, who summons you by name.

4 For the sake of Jacob my servant,
of Israel my chosen,
I summon you by name
and bestow on you a title of honor,
though you do not acknowledge me.

This isn't the only prophecy regarding Babylon's waters being dried up. Jeremiah 50:38 (and surrounding paragraph) state something similar. True to those prophies, Cyrus entered Babylon by diverting the water of the river into an artificial lake a few miles north of Babylon. Then his army went down the riverbed, climbed the slope leading to the wall and entered the city's copper gates which had been left open.

Cyrus also put out an order to rebuilt Jerusalem.

Looks pretty relevent to me.

I don't see how "be dry, and I will dry up your streams" translates to "Babylon will be invaded by draining its water into an artificial lake".

Zaole wrote:
"all the sections of the bible that espouse things such as killing homosexuals"

I'd like to know where "all the sections" are that say this. What it does say:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (New KJV) states: "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God."

Are you saying there's only one section? There are more. Leviticus 20:13 "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." Romans 1:26-27: "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence [sic] of their error which was meet."

Would you now like to answer my question relating to these passages?
Zaole wrote:
I don't see how "be dry, and I will dry up your streams" translates to "Babylon will be invaded by draining its water into an artificial lake".

Well you can believe whatever you want to believe. I'm just stating the well known evidence as seen by people who respect it.

As for the rest, Leviticus 20:13 is part of the Mosaic law. Galations 3:4 states that Christans are no longer under that law, which is why "killing homosexuals" is not anymore relevant than sacrificing sheep. If you were an Israelite, it would have been. But all of the passages we've referenced make it clear that God does not approve of homosexuality, calling it detestable and "unseemly", or obscene.
Are you just playing devil's advocate, or do you believe that homosexuality is wrong?
Zaole wrote:
do you believe that homosexuality is wrong?

I believe what the bible says, and the bible says that its wrong. Do YOU believe that its wrong?
Foomer wrote:
Zaole wrote:
do you believe that homosexuality is wrong?

I believe what the bible says, and the bible says that its wrong. Do YOU believe that its wrong?

No, because I'm mature enough to think and decide for myself what is wrong or right and why it is.
Homosexuality is disease. However teraphy can help homo people to be normal again. No one is born as homosexualist :)
Kisioj wrote:
Homosexuality is disease. However teraphy can help homo people to be normal again. No one is born as homosexualist :)

wat
Let's take a look at homosexuality from a scientific point of view. First of all, without homosexuality, this world would be even more overpopulated and thus, living conditions would be much worse for humanity. If anything, homosexuality is just almost as important to humanity as heterosexuality. Hell, if there is a god, he probably approves of it to some extent.

Secondly, homosexuality is not a choice. Homosexuality most likely is a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental factors. Did people 2000 years ago know this? No. They assumed it was a choice, just like adultery. And I don't know about the people reading this, but I see hating someone without knowing if it's their fault for doing something or not is the pinnacle of asshattery.

In conclusion, the Bible is what you happens when you try to create Wikipedia 2000 years too early. Feel free to believe in whatever you want, but if God is the asshole that the Bible portrays him as and if a hell and a heaven exists, then it seems like hell is a much better place than heaven.
Page: 1 2 3 4