ID:755864

As the title says, I am really wanting to start with pixel art. However, I was not sure where to start so I thought I would ask if anyone could give me some starting suggestions. I appreciate any help, and I apologize if this is not the correct forum to ask on.
You're on the right forum and let me say this now; pixel art is a fun and great talent to pick up on! There are a variety of tutorials all over the web but for more localized tutorials, I'd suggest checking this thread. It links to the BYOND Art Society which has a huge list of tutorials and lessons for beginners!

Good luck!
In response to Kumorii
Thanks for the link! Not sure how I missed it, seeing as it was stickied haha. If I have any more questions, or if I somehow manage to make something that seems decent I will be sure to come back and ask about them.

Edit:
Well, this is my first try at a quick character base. I know it needs a lot of work, so any C&C would be helpful.

Thanks for looking, and for any C&C
Well I think for starting out it looks really good. I mean you could sit there for hours trying to tweak, and perfect it! In the end you just have to be happy with your work. If your happy with it, then good job!
Hahaha that is true Yut Put. Wanna start the probably giant list of things to fix with my first PoS?
Ah, sorry about that. How about now?
Hey! That's a really nice first pixel art. I think you've captured the anatomy pretty nice. What you're lacking right now is contrast so the readibility isn't as good.
Yut Put wrote:
Hitohanna wrote:
Well I think for starting out it looks really good. I mean you could sit there for hours trying to tweak, and perfect it! In the end you just have to be happy with your work. If your happy with it, then good job!

But if you're happy with it and it sucks, it still sucks :D

I love how the mods have yet to edit/delete this , yet it was exactly like mine.
In response to Jordan11
Thanks for the first C&C lol. Would you mind explaining what you mean? I'm not entirely sure about it. The curse of being new haha.
In response to Phits
Phits wrote:
Thanks for the first C&C lol. Would you mind explaining what you mean? I'm not entirely sure about it. The curse of being new haha.

I believe that your art is very good for starting off ^^, I couldn't even icon/sprite something that easy :P - Keep working on your skills and you'll get better with time, Best of luck bro (:
In response to Kozuma3
Trust me it wasn't easy. It took me something like 3 hours because I had to keep changing it, trying to make it look less like something out of a horror movie lol.
In response to Phits
Phits wrote:
Trust me it wasn't easy. It took me something like 3 hours because I had to keep changing it, trying to make it look less like something out of a horror movie lol.

Well its good (: , just keep working on your skills ^^
I like it, I need too start learning how to create pixel art aswell. If any, I would love if you shared the tutorials you used.
In response to Goofydawg
As far as the body structure goes, I didn't really use a tutorial. I just went to the posemaniacs.com website, and used what I saw there to make the player model. But I started making it just making circles/ovals for the general body shape. Then gradually shaped it down to what it is now. As far as coloring went, I just did that by eye. And for shading I looked at every tutorial in the art society and got what I could from it.
Updated, with different directions. Not the best looking, but that is why I am hoping for some C&C haha.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
your shading needs more contrast between the light and dark area's the arms could use being straighten out a bit looks like he is standing with his hands in his pockets at the moment, you've managed basic directional lighting instead of pillow shading which is great as a first time pixel artist, a lot get stuck pillow shading as the don't understand correct light source shading, the abs shouldn't be any lighter than the rest of the skin. the anatomy is passable though the legs could use a tad bit more length. Over all its an impressive start for a new comer
In response to MechaCloud
MechaCloud wrote:
your shading needs more contrast between the light and dark area's the arms could use being straighten out a bit looks like he is standing with his hands in his pockets at the moment, you've managed basic directional lighting instead of pillow shading which is great as a first time pixel artist, a lot get stuck pillow shading as the don't understand correct light source shading, the abs shouldn't be any lighter than the rest of the skin. the anatomy is passable though the legs could use a tad bit more length. Over all its an impressive start for a new comer

Thanks for the help! I have some extra time today so I will be sure to take your C&C into consideration!