ID:76016

Well, I decided that since my shading for Conquest wasn't particularly aesthetic... that I should implement bilinear filtering (or bicubic or whatever) to smoothen it out and make it look hotter.

So, here it is. It's bilinearly filtered.
Currently, it draws at a resolution of 4x4 pixels. It's pretty fast, and even under scrutiny it doesn't look particularly blocky.
Before:

After:

That is smexy.
I'm going to nay. :|
That's pretty hot.
Drastic improvement, but where the land meets water it looks a little funny... would trilinear filtering solve that?
No. Trilinear Filtering is simply an addition to the bilinear filtering algorithm that allows the filter to wrap around the edges of an image (Also it uses mipmaps to make rescaled images look better if it's being rescaled a lot).

I think what you're talking about might be fixed if I disable the shading on water turfs... like so:
http://i26.tinypic.com/5orrqs.png

[EDIT]: Actually, now that I'm thinking about the shading on the water turfs...
Right now, when the shading on water is enabled, the water is shaded the same way land is shaded. It's just that the water typically has some really steep underwater slopes, which is why it has the tendency to be really really dark on one side and not so much on the other.

If I changed this to instead be shaded proportional to how deep the particular tile is, it might yield nicer results.

Actually, what I was trying to do with the partial opacity, was I was trying to do a nice reef effect or something along the lines of that where the water is a nice and deep turquoise or aqua. As you can tell, it didn't really work. :P
great improvement.
I'm more so talking about how there is occasionally just a really bright water/sand tile on the edges, they look out of place.
You need some Anti Aliasing
Nedds more anistropic filtering.