ID:764868

43 minutes of don't care to watch sorry champ :)
TL;DR
Linux sucks because...
1) No standard package format.
2) User interface keeps changing constantly (Unity, Gnome Shell, KDE 4)
3) Bad user interface design choices.
4) Xorg
5) No commercially funded software.
6) Drivers
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
TL;DR
Linux sucks because...
1) No standard package format.
2) User interface keeps changing constantly (Unity, Gnome Shell, KDE 4)
3) Bad user interface design choices.
4) Xorg
5) No commercially funded software.
6) Drivers

I would agree with those drivers being the main one, I have stopped using Linux with a user interface nowadays, Ill just stick with the "server" version and use Windows for games + eye candy :)
I was told Linux is fast and takes less energy than Windows on laptop, so I decided to give it a try. Biggest mistake ever. Boot time was much longer, nearly every mouse click was followed by UI lag, start menu or w/e takes at least 10 seconds to open, and other problems. Low energy usage? Nope. Linux eats battery faster than Windows while playing medium games (with heavy games it's equal).
In response to Zaoshi
Zaoshi wrote:
I was told Linux is fast and takes less energy than Windows on laptop, so I decided to give it a try. Biggest mistake ever. Boot time was much longer, nearly every mouse click was followed by UI lag, start menu or w/e takes at least 10 seconds to open, and other problems. Low energy usage? Nope. Linux eats battery faster than Windows while playing medium games (with heavy games it's equal).

What distribution were you using? I have never had a problem OOTB with Linux except for my wireless drivers ... (they were Windows only)

And what are the system specs?
Interestingly I've found no particular serious issues with any of those 6 points.

This seems to be a list of "Why Linux is not Windows".
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
What distribution were you using?
And what are the system specs?

Currently it's Ubuntu 11.04 with Linux 2.6.38-11-generic kernel.

CPU: i7-2630QM
RAM: 4GB, no idea on speed
GPU: GeForce GT 525M
I'm running the same thing on a much older computer with absolutely zero issues, could be some setup issue, graphics drivers or something.

My Linux box:

1.2Ghz Intel Celeron Single Core
256MB PC100 SDRAM
GeForce 6200 PCI
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
Interestingly I've found no particular serious issues with any of those 6 points.

This seems to be a list of "Why Linux is not Windows".

Exactly. Nothing more than fanboy-isms.

1 - of the 3-4 package systems available, i'm quite happy with debian-based packages. it's widely used.
2 - interface keeps constantly changing? pfft, only if you bother to upgrade every 3-6 months.. seriously this isn't an issue if you use some common sense. plus, it's good that the Linux community shakes up the idea of what a UI is - the good stuff will rise to the top and the less appealing interfaces will fall by the wayside.
3 - bad choices? only if *you* make them. no-one puts a gun to your head.
4 - Xorg isn't the only solution out there
5 - http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/ LinuxCommercialApplications.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ List_of_proprietary_software_for_Linux
http://lin-app.com/
http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/05/ 10-commercial-apps-for-linux-that-i.html
...so point 5 is fanboy-ism supported by..oh wait.. it's not supported by any facts!
6 - if you are sporting the latest ThuperThaiyanGoku616GTX graphics card from Nvidia or whoever, then of course a Linux driver is probably not available - yet. Heck the Windows drivers for the latest-n-greatest video cards leave something to be desired in *some* cases.

Seriously, if you take the time to do some research, there are a variety of solutions to all those points. If you are too namby-pamby to invest in some time and effort to get the best out of your hardware, then obviously Linux isn't for you, and you can stop whining with basically false information and go back to playing WoW.
In response to digitalmouse
Welcome back.

[Edit] I am not one to judge Linux as I have yet to use the UI since Ubuntu 8 :)
In response to A.T.H.K
I never left! :)
oh and the *same guy* that did 'why linux sucks' also made a 'why linux does not suck' session *right afterwards* at the SAME Linux Fest conference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfLqLK7VdQY
The argument with the package formats tends to be spurious, as they don't mean the format inconsistencies are the problem, or that APT can't handle RPMs etc.

If you've ever had the pleasure of attempting to pull Fedora RPMs into CentOS, you'll find the issue isn't package spec (although sometimes X version is unavailable in Y), it's binary match-up and feature match-up.

The point of many of the distros is to provide a variety of flavours of support for things. So if you want cutting edge, you tend to go to a particular distro. Stability? Another. Commercial support of lesser used packages? Another. To mix and match between them is possible, but hardly by design or something the respective distros could handle. One single package format, or even package distribution suite, wouldn't help that, as the issue is the repository sets maintained, and providers will want to maintain their own repository sets, for their own business / distro purposes.

This is usually the thing with Linux. While it's not used as an excuse for bad support of X, the option is always there for you to roll your own solution, if you are willing. There's no real lock in as such from that perspective.
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
Seriously, if you take the time to do some research, there are a variety of solutions to all those points. If you are too namby-pamby to invest in some time and effort to get the best out of your hardware, then obviously Linux isn't for you, and you can stop whining with basically false information and go back to playing WoW.

That's exactly it. Most people don't want to do weeks of research to get an OS they like. As far as most people are concerned, Linux sucks. To the small number of people who like doing that research and extra work, Linux is great.

Now you can all go back to playing WoW.
Which is perhaps where the Ubuntu marketing approach can come across as somewhat mis-selling. Although, you can't fault them for giving it a go, and the benefits that brought.
In response to Forum_account
In short, I believe that Linux is a better OS for developers. Windows and Mac are better OS' for casual users. Literally the only reason I moved back to a Windows machine was because Linux a) didn't support the software I needed, and b) Wine really sucks when you're porting larger programs.

And what's wrong with WoW? :(
Why Linux is better for developers? I don't really know any IDEs for Linux, but Windows ones are quite good.
IDE's aren't the only thing that developers use .. sigh ...
It helps that the GNU compilers for C/C++ tend to be among the most standards compliant compilers to exist. They're in the running with MSVC++, but they tend to have the upper-hand in that their release schedule isn't so restricted.

Other than that, Linux tends to make life a lot easier for a developer. You have the power of Bash scripts, along with basic utilities like crond to schedule regular maintenance tasks as well as package managers that make installing new tools a lot quicker.

There are other reasons, but they probably don't apply to a wide range of people.
Page: 1 2