ID:7667

"Why are SS13ers going to the only other game on BYOND that roleplays?"

I saw someone say this when I was hosting my server last night, and it make me think; so I wrote it down.

I thought this was pretty funny, actually. The first thing I thought was "Wait, they're coming for the roleplaying?" No, not really. My friend PhantomShadow plays a game based off of Hedgerow Hall, and they roleplay there too. Deadly Waters is just that in relation to SS13, it was originally based off of SS13, but SS13ers seem to think that they are same. Sure, some of the basic things are the same, like the double clicking system, but DW is not a game where players simply roleplay.

The remaning SS13 community seems to be divided into "roleplayers" and "griefers." The remaining "roleplayers" are nearly obsessed with roleplaying, and in SS13 you can be deemed a respectable player if you simply roleplay. In Deadly Waters, you might be given a pat on the back, but roleplaying is not something that solely determines your "good player" status. Your "good player" status also boils down to your skills in-game, your leadership ability (command), and how well you do your job. Roleplaying is usually a sign of maturity and intelligence, so it's nice, but for some reason people don't talk enough in-game. Talking in-game over the intercom is good for a bunch of reasons: It makes the game more interesting, other people know you're there, and it lets other people know you're doing your job. How are players supposed to know something if you're silent?

On another note, Deadly Waters has a skill points system, and the better you do your job the faster you're going to get those skill points to get those more important jobs. The more rounds your crew wins increases your experience and eventually rank in-game. The whole crew has to work together to accomplish their goal, which in normal mode it would be to get back to safe waters. Not really just roleplaying, is it?
*sniff* That's the way it should be...*sniff*