ID:767503

Not a bug
BYOND Version:494
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 12.0
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
1000 x 1000 map with lots of icons on the map will corrupt the map

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
create a 1000 x 1000 map. place lots of icons of the same type on the map then compile. i have read in a post that if you fill an 300 x 300 map with icons, the map will be corrupted when compiled. http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=260950
at the above link is an example on how to reproduce the error

Expected Results:
no corruption

Actual Results:
map corrupt

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? everytime
In other games? yes
In other user accounts? not sure
On other computers? not sure

When does the problem NOT occur?
when there are few icons on the map

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? yes

Workarounds: none

What type of 'icons' are you filling the map with? turf? obj?

If you're filling the map with obj, the topic you linked to explains the problem clearly, and is not a bug.
i am filling the map in with turf not objects which is why i posted here
Are you receiving some sort of error? If so, post it.
i delete the map so i don't know the exact error but the error that i got was corrupted map when i ran the compiled program.

i have a 1000 x 1000 map with about 10 percent of it filled in with the same turf.

i am trying to reproduce the error with a 300 x 300 map. filling it all with turf. i will get back to you and let you know if there is another corrupt map
i made a 300 x 300 map and filled it in with mob and it was corrupt, then i made another map of 300 x 300 and filled it in with obj and it was corrupt, yet a 300 x 300 map filled in with turf was not corrupt

error: corrupt map data in world file
In response to Kalster
As the thread you linked to says, there's a hard limit of 256^2 (65,536) on how many /atom/movables you can place on the map in the compiler. 300 * 300 = 90,000, so you're way over the compiler's limit.
ok. thank you.
how many turf is the limit?
In response to Kalster
I'm not quite sure. I just made a 1,000 by 1,000 map and slapped down a simple grass turf I defined and it loaded up fine.
LordAndrew resolved issue (Not a bug)
The turf limit is about 16.7 million.
well, i see no problems then. the limits are set very nicely.
thank you :)