ID:778887

http://www.byond.com/games/Mistamage123/ExcelRayneDatastream

Hey there, i'm working on a new text-based game like usual, this time it's an MMO style online game called "Excel Rayne Datastream".

It's a text-based game with an RPG battle system, ATB based, with an RP universe. It's supposed to be an immersive game, very similar to a MUD, but made simple.

In MUDs, you have to use the command bar to type nearly everything, you have to learn actions on your own, you have to say 'east', 'west', 'north', 'south' a lot. And that can be counterintuitive for new players.

So with Datastream, i am trying to remedy this to make it more accessible, by reducing the lines to 3 simple buttons:
Area Actions (for interaction with the world and to move to new areas)
Player Actions (for player to player interaction)
Examine Area (to look at the surroundings)

These 3 buttons change a lot, as you do not need the command bar anymore and it's a lot simpler for new players to navigate your world.

And the battle isn't set to Auto-Attack either, the battles are engaging and dynamic, gradually getting more complicated as you level up and face tougher foes. New systems come into play relatively quickly.

If you want to give it a shot, it's hosted right now.

Here are some tips for new players:

The treasure chest in the hotel room where you start has 3 potions and 1 hi potion. Use them well

If you are under level 3 and don't already have a grenade, you can talk to the gate watcher at the city gates and he'll give you one for free. Use that in battles where you are surrounded. You can keep doing this until you hit level 3.

At the moment, there are 3 academies, and 10 possible classes to acquire at the moment:
Dragon Knight
Slayer
Reaver
Necromancer
Priest
Sorcerer
Thief
Fighter
Gun Knight.

It was originally hosted as a Christmas Preview, but has been in Open Beta since, as new content that is getting added requires extensive testing.

New content gets added regularly.

Eventually, here is what will be added:
Character permadeath
Survival mechanics: Eating/drinking necessary to survive
Dead characters persisting as zombies and phantoms that plague the world. Player generated content, so-to-speak
PvP-focused player missions focusing on the factions Order and Templar

But some testing is required to get there. At the moment there is some minor PvP and partying mechanics where you can team up using the Enlistment Center and party on to take on quests and such.

I'll type up a more in-depth description after this session ends, but while it's still hosted, if anybody wants to give it a whirl, that would be nice. I'd like some opinions.

Here is a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/FIpIH.jpg

At the moment, I am looking for testers that will be interested in testing the game when it's back to being Closed Beta, and I will be interested in looking for possible 24/7 hosts for anyone that is interested in that when this leaves Beta stage.

MSN or Skype preferred for that. But, log on and give it a shot if you want to try it first.
i think the interface needs some touching up.

and why is everything 90% similar to Final Fantasy? (not trying to be rude, just an observation.

overall, not bad for a text-based game! :D