Action RPG Framework

by Forum_account
Action RPG Framework
A framework for developing action RPGs.
ID:784796

Resolved
In the upcoming version 4 update I've added the ability to be poisoned. The framework provides the Condition object which can be used to create temporary, passive, or periodic effects. I also expanded the sample game's stats to have power and speed instead of just "attack".

Other parts of this request (an on-screen display of your target's info, banking, trading, etc.) will be addressed in later updates.
Applies to:

This issue has been resolved.
here are a few of my requests. please let me know what you think about them.

first, thank you for making this framework. i am hoping that you and others can continue adding on to this framework to make it easier for the beginner to make a game with.

Health and mana gauge:
request to have the health and mana gauge underneath each player and monster, excluding the usr. this would be great for a player vs player and a player fighting a tough monster.

Player trading:
when next to a player, pressing the "T" key opens up a trading window where players can trade items with each other.

bank:
A bank to deposit items into.

player vs player:
when next to a player, pressing the "P" button will do a player attach. I recommend placing a small skull next to the attacking player, where any player can attach a skull player without consequences.

constitution and dexterity skills:
it would make for a true rpg experience if those were added to the framework.

hungry attribute:
at a set time, a player will get hungry. too hungry and the player will lose hit points at a set time.

cursed items:
items that can only be unequipped with a special item. a cursed player can be minus a skill or two that can be defined in the demo game code.

ability to be poisoned.
players can get poisoned by some monsters, set with a poison attribute. a nice little icon next to the poisoned player.
Thanks for the suggestions. There are many features that could be in am action RPG but wouldn't be part of the framework. Many of these are things you'd add to a game that uses the framework and I can provide demos that show how, but they wouldn't be part of the framework.

Kalster wrote:
here are a few of my requests. please let me know what you think about them.

first, thank you for making this framework. i am hoping that you and others can continue adding on to this framework to make it easier for the beginner to make a game with.

Health and mana gauge:
request to have the health and mana gauge underneath each player and monster, excluding the usr. this would be great for a player vs player and a player fighting a tough monster.

I plan to add an on-screen display that shows information about the enemy you have targeted. If you'd like to have health and mana bars over every mob, that can easily be added, but I don't know if I'd make that the default thing the framework provides.

Player trading:
when next to a player, pressing the "T" key opens up a trading window where players can trade items with each other.

I would like to add some way for players to exchange items. I'm trying to have the framework cover a lot of interface-heavy features and this is one of them.

bank:
A bank to deposit items into.

This would also require an interface, so its something I'd like to add.

player vs player:
when next to a player, pressing the "P" button will do a player attach. I recommend placing a small skull next to the attacking player, where any player can attach a skull player without consequences.

I wouldn't implement it that way, I'd let all abilities be used against other players. It might make sense for the framework to provide some pvp-related features but most of it will be left to the games.

Not all games use the same stats so there's no way the framework can provide the stats everyone will need for every game. The sample game that comes with the framework defines the attack and defense stats, shows how to make items modify your stats, and shows how to factor those stats into damage calculations.

hungry attribute:
at a set time, a player will get hungry. too hungry and the player will lose hit points at a set time.

This is something you'll have to implement in your game. It's just too specific for the framework

cursed items:
items that can only be unequipped with a special item. a cursed player can be minus a skill or two that can be defined in the demo game code.

You can create this already. Items have a can_unequip() proc that you can override to make it return zero for cursed items.

ability to be poisoned.
players can get poisoned by some monsters, set with a poison attribute. a nice little icon next to the poisoned player.

I'd like to add some way to display a list of ailments the player has and maybe a way to create different types of effects. Being poisoned would be one of those ailments.

Thanks again for the suggestions! Even if you ask for things that can't be handled in the framework, it still helps me to know the kinds of things people will want to add.
In response to Forum_account
Kalster wrote:
Forum_account wrote:
Not all games use the same stats so there's no way the framework can provide the stats everyone will need for every game. The sample game that comes with the framework defines the attack and defense stats, shows how to make items modify your stats, and shows how to factor those stats into damage calculations.

just a thought, but in the _constants.dm file a person could type a one if wanting dexterity. yes, i agree that not everyone will use the same stats, that is why in my opinion, the framework could be tailored for the basic to advanced stats for the rpg game
In response to Kalster
Kalster wrote:
Kalster wrote:
Forum_account wrote:

just a thought, but in the _constants.dm file a person could type a one if wanting dexterity. yes, i agree that not everyone will use the same stats, that is why in my opinion, the framework could be tailored for the basic to advanced stats for the rpg game

The library can only define the stat. Games use stats in different ways. I don't want to force games to work a certain way, so these things have to be left to the game. I can show examples of how to create and use stats and I can expand the sample game to include more stats, but that's about all I can add as far as stats go.
yes, i understand about why putting more stats in the framework is not recommended.

if you would like to show an (dex, con) example in the game demo, that would be great.
In response to Forum_account
Kalster wrote:
Health and mana gauge:
Forum_account wrote:
I plan to add an on-screen display that shows information about the enemy you have targeted. If you'd like to have health and mana bars over every mob, that can easily be added, but I don't know if I'd make that the default thing the framework provides.

now that i think about it, a bar at the top-right side of the screen for the monster would be better then placing a bar under the monster. the bar at the top-right screen could be for the current monster attacked. great idea.
In response to Kalster
Kalster wrote:
if you would like to show an (dex, con) example in the game demo, that would be great.

When I get the time I will add more stats to the demo. I'd also like to add more ways to use them (ex: to determine if an attack is a critical hit).
Forum_account resolved issue with message:
In the upcoming version 4 update I've added the ability to be poisoned. The framework provides the Condition object which can be used to create temporary, passive, or periodic effects. I also expanded the sample game's stats to have power and speed instead of just "attack".

Other parts of this request (an on-screen display of your target's info, banking, trading, etc.) will be addressed in later updates.
It would be really cool to see a sell tab for the merchants.
And a character window displaying vital information like stats, health/mana etc.
In response to Johan411
Johan411 wrote:
It would be really cool to see a sell tab for the merchants.

I'm not sure exactly how I want this to work but it is something I'd like to add.

And a character window displaying vital information like stats, health/mana etc.

I'm not sure how much the library can provide here. There are the health/mana meters in the top-left corner of the screen and the money/level/experience display in the bottom-right corner. Any other stats would be defined by the game you make using the framework, so you'd have to also create the stats page. I could probably make it easier to expand the box in the bottom-right corner to include other stats.