ID:78494

Not a bug
BYOND Version:447
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
Web Browser:Opera 9.63

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Everytime I click on an icon state in DM, I am given a "beep" as if I am clicking on something invalid. A little over a year ago, there was a bug report posted about the same problem with version 421. Back then, I tested the bug on my fiancée's computer to which there was no result. I am using the same operating system I was before, but with a completely different physical build, main HDD aside. I was using the first build for 10 months and this build for 1-2 months and I have never encountered the problem until this morning. Between last night and this morning, nothing has changed, physically or digitally.

This isn't really that much of a problem, but it would be nice to knwo what causes it. I'd hate to have to turn off my system sounds.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Click on an icon state. Other than that, ...

Expected Results:
Nothing.

Actual Results:
Beeping.

Does the problem occur:
Every time.
Yes.
On other computers?
Yes, a little over a year ago, there was a bug report posted about the same problem.

When does the problem NOT occur?
This morning, everytime. Everyday up until now, never.

Workarounds:
Turn off system sounds.

I couldn't get this to work for me, I tried and tried and tried with several different icons and byond versions and even using old icons with a new byond, nothing worked.
I know what you mean. I tested it back when Wessel reported it and I could not get it to work either.

The beep is the Windows "Default Beep." I turned off that paticular beep, and now it beeps from the internal speaker.
I haven't been able to reproduce this myself, but as a general note you may find that rebooting your system or closing some other apps makes the the problem go away. I've sometimes had list controls (which this is) and others beep at me too, when it would turn out to be that my system had just gotten a little flaky.

If you can however find a solid way to reproduce this reliably on any system, or to get this to start happening after it hasn't been, please follow up with the details and I'll be happy to look into it further.
It definitely has something to do with the system and not BYOND. I have gone through mutliple versions of BYOND on both my laptop and desktop. The laptop has Vista Home Basic and grab the same files from the desktop using my network.

After doing some searching, I have found that the recurring "default beep" might have something to do with list controls.

EDIT: There are a few reports of this occurring when clicking on e-mails, songs, and such as well as two reports of occurrances while clicking on objects in list controls. I vaugely remembered Lummox mentioning list controls in a topic about icon states flickering and thought that this may be where the problem lies. So I did a bit more searching.

To be honest. I had never heard of a list control (because I'm not a programmer) until Lummox metioned it, so I have no idea what I am talking about. BUT Apparently, something causes Vista to add the "Default Beep" when clicking on MFC CListCtrl objects. I don't know if that is what is used for icon states but it seems that way from where I am standing. I cannot however find out what cuases this annoying bug and the only way to fix it, so far, is to turn off certain sounds in Vista.
I have solved it and I can reproduce it.

After about an hour of searching on the previously mentioned topics, I have finally found a thread that points to the bug and it's "correct" solution.

1) Open up Control Panel.
2) Open up Sound.
3) Under the Sounds tab, scroll down to the sound labeled "Select" and ... select it.
4) In the drop down menu below it, choose any sound and apply the changes.
5) Now select "None" from the drop down menu and apply the changes again.

This should cause the annoying beeping sound, not just for clicking icon states, but for other list related stuff as well.

By default, "Select" has no sound attached to it. Apparently, there is a bug in it that causes "Select" to defualt to the "Defualt Beep" once a sound has been assigned to it and then reset back to none. To fix it, just assign it a blank sound.