ID:785981

Hey guys.

When I was first starting out on BYOND the first thing I did was look through the "Tutorials and Snippets" section to get some help for starting a game. Some of the best ones I found included Falacy's and Forum_Account's series but now a new tutorial hasn't been released for atleast a couple of months. I just wanted to make this post to encourage some of you knowledgeable BYONDers (and even the less knowledgeable ones) to make some tutorials.

You may think that people don't read it and it's not worth it but I assure you, if it's decent and has some good info it will be read.

What does dis-encourage(?) you guys to not make tutorials?
I would say the surfeit of tutorials already available to you discourages us. The margin of subjects to teach gets narrower and narrower.
Yeah, it's probably better to come up with new ideas to turn into demos and libraries instead.
I guess you could say that but there is still plenty of things you can make tutorials about, even very simple stuff. I would like to see some tutorials going into detail about HUD designs and different interface elements.
What exactly is your definition of a HUD design? And interface elements are really very simple. Trying to go into detail with them is like trying to get 5 feet down in a 4 foot pool. While there is room for a bit of detail, there isn't a whole lot. While I'm on the same analogy, you could say that the rest of the pool represents the other information you would need to know. For example, I can tell you all about the Style tab in the element's properties, but you won't be able to really do anything without knowledge of CSS.
It makes more sense to make tutorials about how to use libraries. It's easier for people to follow and they can learn more. You can make a tutorial that shows people how to create an attack verb and deathcheck proc, but that's still light years away from being a complete game. These are the kinds of tutorials people like to make but these aren't the kind of tutorials that BYOND needs.

It's not a high priority of mine, but I'd like to make a tutorial about using the Action RPG Framework.
By HUD design, I'd mean the hp(or other equivalent) bars, hotslots, just stuff that goes on the players screen. Also, you could talk about how the interface elements could be used and effective ways to use them.

Yes, a tutorial on how to use Libraries would be great. I had trouble with even installing them when I first started out and I still don't understand how to use half the libraries I've downloaded.
Libraries generally do the work for you. All you have to do is include them in your project. In DM you should see a red book "libs". Click the + and check the library you wish to use. Be careful of conflicting libs thoug.