ID:78696

Not a bug
BYOND Version:449
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 3.0.13

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
The bigger the list the slower the chat seems to load.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
I created a list of pre-loaded icons for quick reference and the bigger this list got the slower chat seemed to become. I believe the list count got up to the thousands but even at 250 the chat would show a noticeable delay.

Expected Results:
Nothing should be slowing down.

Actual Results:
Nothing slows down.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Untested.
In other user accounts? Yes.
On other computers? Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When the icon list doesn't get as high.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Unknown. I only tried it and discarded it above 440.

Workarounds:
Don't let the list get high with icons. I used an alternative of breaking the list into savefiles which are then loaded when referenced instead. I just thought it was interesting enough to mention since it actually lagged chat and nothing else surprisingly.
Handling large amounts of data can easily make a server slow down, depending on how that data is handled. With large projects, sluggish behavior is almost guaranteed if you don't handle the data carefully. I'm marking this as not a bug because it has all the hallmarks of being a programming problem, and because it includes absolutely no information (such as a code snippet or demo) that would be needed to confirm a bug even exists, let alone reproduce it steadily.

This is the sort of thing that should be explored fully on the forums first. If it is confirmed there that some kind of slowdown is going on that cannot be accounted for by code, then it might belong in a bug report complete with the details needed to confirm the issue.
Lummox JR wrote:
Handling large amounts of data can easily make a server slow down, depending on how that data is handled. With large projects, sluggish behavior is almost guaranteed if you don't handle the data carefully. I'm marking this as not a bug because it has all the hallmarks of being a programming problem, and because it includes absolutely no information (such as a code snippet or demo) that would be needed to confirm a bug even exists, let alone reproduce it steadily.

This is the sort of thing that should be explored fully on the forums first. If it is confirmed there that some kind of slowdown is going on that cannot be accounted for by code, then it might belong in a bug report complete with the details needed to confirm the issue.

I understand what you're saying and I apologize about the lack of a code snippet. Unfortunately it's not exactly easy to replicate something like this since it requires quite a few icons and duplication to get it done correctly. I've since found an alternative method that works with the large amount of icons I need created without bogging down the server. And again it's not the entire server that's slowing down it's *ONLY* the chat, almost as if the two are directly related to each other. It's fairly easy to replicate this by just duplicating the same icon over and over and if you want I could probably make that happen with a smiley icon or something, heh. It would be interesting just as a test subject, also I never commented in the developer forums but did talk to nadrew about it who found it odd as well, but I still should've consulted the forums I suppose.

To cut this off though, if you'd like me to make a demo that replicates this problem I'll try and work something out.