ID:798061

Keywords: movement
Not a bug
BYOND Version:494
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro
Web Browser:Chrome 19.0.1084.52
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I was trying to implement a fluidic movement system but it does not seem to work out well because I think/believe that BYOND has an extra affinity to some specific direction keys.

Currently the studies shows that BYOND has special affinity for

1. the SOUTH and EAST Directions (when using the arrow keys on the Keyboard)
2. the WEST (when using the Numpad) [the diagonal keys are unbiased]

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1.Download the Project(The Project does not contain anything related to the fluidic movement, it just shows the core problem)

2.Compile and Run, the instructions are given inside it also.

3.Using the arrow keys, hold North and South (both) at the same time.
4.Now without leaving the held buttons press East(arrow key) and observe.
[You will observe that East is considered as an input from the Player]

5.Leave all the keys and repeat step 3.
6.Now without leaving the held buttons press West(arrow key) and observe.
[You will observe that West is not considered as input from the Player when both North and South is already held whereas East is considered as an input in the same conditions]

7.Using the arrow keys, hold East and West(both) at the same time.
8.Now without leaving the held buttons press South(arrow key) and observe.
[You will observe that South is considered as an input from the Player]
9.Now without leaving the held buttons press North(arrow key) and observe.
[You will observe that North is not considered as input from the Player when both East and West is already held, whereas South is considered as an input in the same conditions]

10.Try similar steps using the Numpad keys and observe.

Expected Results:
1.Wanted the East and West keys to be considered as an input when both North and South is held.

2.Wanted the North and South keys to be considered as an input when both East and West is held.

Actual Results:
1.Only East is considered as an input.(conditions applied)
2.Only South is considered as an input.(conditions applied)
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Yes
In other games? Technically ..Yes
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
Never

Note* - Its a long time I have posted anything so I assume my English won't be much understandable/comprehensive but I hope you guys would manage to make it out.If the post is not clear just point out and will try better. ^.^
I just tested this, and I don't know if I came up with your exact results, maybe I just didn't understand your report. My results somewhat matching yours came from mixing numpad direction inputs, and direction key inputs.

I will use numbers to refer to numpad keys, and capitlized words for Directional keys, so just a reminder;
8 = north, 2 = south, 6 = east, 4 = west,
EAST + WEST = 8 (north) is not detected, 2 (south) is.

4 (west) + 6 (east) = Everything is detected fine

NORTH + SOUTH = 4 (west) is not detected, 6 (east) is.

8 (north) + 2 (south)= EAST is not detected, WEST is.
Super Saiyan X thanks for making it more clear, our results are technically matching(I think).

Sorry for not being clear I was running out of English.
This might have to do with ghosting problems inherent to your keyboard. If it is, then BYOND is completely unrelated to what you're experiencing.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/ antighostingexplained.mspx
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
That sidewinder keyboard that your article mentions, which allows any combination of up to 17 keys? I have one.
Sadly the issue is still present with it.
It sounds like this is a limitation of your keyboard. Open up notepad, type some text, and try the same thing. If I type this:

wefwegwwrgwrgwrg

And move the cursor to the end of the line, when I hold the up and down arrow keys and press left, the cursor moves left. If I move the cursor to the start of the text, hold the up and down keys, and press right, nothing happens. I doubt that Notepad is choosing to ignore these keyboard events, it's just not getting them (and I'm guessing that BYOND won't either on this computer).
My last comment was incorrect - the issue isn't present in the demo for me.
A VM was messing with my keys.
Yep, this is a keyboard issue. Oddly it still happens to me on a gaming keyboard. I confirmed it by adding a skin to the project with key down/up macros and comparing its output.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
Wow, nice info!

I guess the fluidic movement must have to confine to a maximum of 2 keys at a time. >.>