ID:802153

Keywords: 3dsound, sound
Resolved
Sound channels 1-1024 were supposed to be supported per the reference, but any channel higher than 127 failed to work correctly.
BYOND Version:494
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 19.0.1084.52
Applies to:Dream Seeker & Dream Daemon

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When using 3D sounds, you would normally assign each sound to a separate channel so they can be controlled separately. According to the reference, there are 1024 channels available. However, channels 128 through 1024 do not seem to work. 3D sounds will cut each other off as if they're on the same channel.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1.) Download http://www.sendspace.com/file/xsk22e
2.) The first verb tests the 3D sound using channels 1 and 2. This works fine. The two crowing sounds moves around and they do not cut each other off.
3.) The second verb tests the 3D sound using channels 128 and 129. These two crowing sounds will cut each other off and it just sounds bad. Any channel after and including 128 will do this.

Expected Results:
3D sounds will not cut each other off as long as they are on separate channels from 1 to 1024 (according to the reference).

Actual Results:
Only channels 1 through 128 do not cause this problem.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Yes.
In other user accounts? Yes.
On other computers? Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When using a channel from 1 to 127.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
I've been messing around with 3D sounds for a long time and I never could get them to work right. Only now did I figure out that it's due to using channels >= 128. So this problem did exist in several previous BYOND versions, at least.

Workarounds:
Only use channels 1 through 127 when using 3D sounds.

Edit: Linked to the executable, not the source files. Changed to source files.
I just downloaded the project and ran it. It does seem to be cutting off the sound with the second verb.
Upon further testing, it would also appear that this problem only occurs if the channel for BOTH of the 3D sounds being played is >= 128. If one is <128 and the other is >=128, the bug does not occur.</128>
Confirmed on Windows 7 64-bit.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Sound channels 1-1024 were supposed to be supported per the reference, but any channel higher than 127 failed to work correctly.