KershiVelix wrote:
No one likes rips. Let me explain for your mind.

If I had a rip, and the source was open. It'd be natural for someone new to consider it the right thing considering the mass amounts of numbers. Therefore rips shall keep repeating.

Oh, and you suck.

that "No one likes rips" part you should keep to yourself, because you dont speak for me. I like Rips that are at the very least tried to be made fun.

Already know someone might say "Rips aren't fun" so ill go ahead and reply to whoever says it now lol Rips are fun based on a person's opinion of the word fun. and since opinions only matter to yourself (unless someone shares that opinion with you) its stupid to go on someones page and sling derogatory words at them.
Zaole wrote:
you (and several others commenting) don't appear to grasp what a 'troll' is. there are basically three "levels" of internet attacks:

to be a troll involves being disingenuous, saying things that you don't actually believe for the sake of making your target upset. as such, you yourself aren't upset by the situation at hand, but are simply fishing for angry responses for your own entertainment.

angrily attacking someone for something that you feel only slightly opposed to (with the aid of being egged on by insults or seeing it occur too often) would be considered flaming. you aren't extremely passionate about the issue, but you're stirring up a lot of trouble anyways.

saying things that you truly believe but lack the self-restraint to express calmly would just be plain old vigilante justice with a dash of heedless anger.

bashing rips falls into the latter two categories an overwhelming majority of the time; i can't think of a scenario where someone thinks ripping is ok but bashes it just for fun-- which would be trolling.

now that we've got that cleared up, the reason people are upset about rips:

they show a complete lack of effort on the creator's side. it's simply a cheap grab for power

they're always horribly put together because the person who created the rip has no appropriate knowledge of the language they're working with-- and, in a lot of cases, are simply too young/dumb to understand how to create coherent gameplay.

following up on that point, the abominable nature of rips and their extreme overpopulation smears BYOND with an ugly stain of horrible, immature quality that drives away respectable developers-- and, as a result-- the naive prospect of a good game on BYOND.

quick question. Have you ever cheated on a test, then realized you were wrong for doing it, so you told the teacher on yourself? If you answer "No" to this question then if anyone gives this exact reason for hating rips they are a hypocrite.

they show a complete lack of effort on the creator's side. it's simply a cheap grab for power.

Maybe im wrong but i thought byond was for the young to be able to grasp the language better, that is unless im wrong, which i might be lol. If i am right, then saying this would be kinda dumb, because trying is better than giving up.

they're always horribly put together because the person who created the rip has no appropriate knowledge of the language they're working with-- and, in a lot of cases, are simply too young/dumb to understand how to create coherent gameplay.

and finally for the last part its a double-edged sword you can look at it from your point or from Ganing's point.

btw didnt read the whole distinguishing troll part because truth be told it doesnt matter lol.
IcewarriorX wrote:
Ganing wrote:

Because, as I stated, RIPS ARE THE LIFEFORCE OF BYOND. Ripping isn't an awful thing, it's the owner of the ripped source's fault for being ignorant. There is alot of Open Source games, many PS2 games use systems and stuff from other PS2 games. If you're gunna get your balls in a bundle because of some digital game that will never make it anywhere, then you might as well die, cause you honestly have no life.

All of the games with 100+ players are not rips..so yeah, you're wrong. This arguments about as old as BYOND itself though, which is why only idiots/trolls make these threads in the first place.

This guy made a thread bitching about how people bitch too much. Yes. He's an idiot. Also, he should take his own advice. (see subtitle of page)

actually i have seen games that "you" would consider rips with 100+ players. Perfect example at the moment would be Naruto Supreme Shadows, their record is 121 people on at once.

this part you said
This arguments about as old as BYOND itself

I strongly agree with that lol.
Ninja6702 wrote:
quick question. Have you ever cheated on a test, then realized you were wrong for doing it, so you told the teacher on yourself? If you answer "No" to this question then if anyone gives this exact reason for hating rips they are a hypocrite.

i haven't ever cheated on a test, but that makes no sense regardless. what does rips making byond look bad have to do with the realization of an error and willingness to suffer the consequences in order to right the wrong?

Maybe im wrong but i thought byond was for the young to be able to grasp the language better, that is unless im wrong, which i might be lol. If i am right, then saying this would be kinda dumb, because trying is better than giving up.

rips HURT people who are new to programming, though. they teach awful, awful habits and are the complete antithesis of robustness or modularity. someone who's young and has never programmed before would be so much better off by reading the blue book and making their own game

and finally for the last part its a double-edged sword you can look at it from your point or from Ganing's point.

Ganing's point is wrong, though. rips are not BYOND's "life force".

- BYOND has survived even when rips were but a minor contrivance and had no real effect one way or another

- Dan and Tom's ultimate goal with BYOND was not to nab a pile of cash by manipulating swarms of the young and the stupid, it was to let people have fun developing and playing games of their own. this makes the concept of "rips bring in lots of people, so they're important" null

- rips are viewed by the BYOND staff as bad and unwanted, however they can't go around deleting rips and banning rippers because that goes against their laizzes-faire attitude towards the community's game development
wow, you're really really dumb

none of your points make sense nor are they in the least a logical rebuttal
Zaole wrote:
wow, you're really really dumb

none of your points make sense nor are they in the least a logical rebuttal

Not really, your just not smart enough to comprehend or accept that you're wrong. But whatever that seems to be a common theme on byond, that you show no hope of ever being above. lol

All i gotta say is by what you bring up as "Arguments" is utter BS, and you need to start moving on with the times. Perhaps since you joined byond in 2002 your mindset has adapted to the future of things.

anyway this blog is going nowhere now, so im done posting here.
oh, so you're the one in the right and i'm just too stupid to comprehend

which is why you deleted the comment in question

ok
My point is not wrong. Think about it, how many people have anime rips dragged in? You got Bobbyawesome, you got Cybork, and you got many other people too. But most of them have MEMBERSHIPS.

Here's BYOND's point of view:

Rips = More Anime People = More Memberships = More $$$

Seriously guys, this isn't no fucking Playstation 2. This is the internet. I don't see why you give so much of a shit about ripped games. Non-ripped games make it just about as far as ripped games. The only difference is the fact that non-ripped games might be different.
i'm not arguing that rips don't increase the population and result in more memberships bought, i'm saying that doesn't really matter

BYOND can survive without the cash provided by rip-induced memberships. rips are not the "life force" of BYOND, nor do Dan/Tom/any other staff member want rips at all
I blame the dipshits who originally owned them, for not knowing how to manage their own god damn source. Seriously, if you want to despise someone, despise the dipshit who owned it first.
I like to troll. It's fun.
Page: 1 2