Action RPG Framework

by Forum_account
Action RPG Framework
A framework for developing action RPGs.
ID:818201

Not Feasible
Applies to:Dream Maker

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
I am not sure if this has been added yet, but I figured I would suggest it anyway. I am pretty sure you already have a dynamic lighting library made, so it would be interesting to see you implement this within the frame work also. It seems to me as though most RPG's normally have some type of day/night cycle to allow players to RP at different times of the day.

I made another suggestion on the form about using Deadron's Calender library to made custom or standard months and days. You could also use this library to make a time, which could be displayed on the screen or hidden somewhere or on an interface menu or what have you, and it would give players an idea of what the in game time is so that they would know when it is time to come do certain things.

For instance, you could have monsters that only spawn at night, giving variety to the different types of spawned creatures. Or you might have a character who can not go out in the daylight or moonlight, in which cause having a generic and/or customizable time system with the added lighting effect would be useful to the RPG frame work, but would also give an example of how to correctly implement it so that it doesn't cause the game many issues. I've seen quite a few day/night systems that cause lag and all kinds of other issues when not added in properly.

This could also add in some weather effects which might go along with the calender idea as well. In the winter it could snow, in the summer and spring it could rain, in the fall it could be really windy which makes it harder for players to walk around outside because of the strong winds or something like that. Another little effect that can add depth and character to the framework even if done generically, and the person working with it from there, could remove it or add to it if they wished to make it even more specific to their game.
Hmm, I'll have to think about this one.

Day-night cycles and weather effects aren't specific to action RPGs. If you've got a day-night cycle, it almost certainly works with this library. It's not like the day-night cycle depends on how you represent items or abilities, it's just its own thing. While it's certainly something an RPG might have, since there's nothing special about adding weather effects to a game that uses the framework it's not something I'd need to provide.

Though, having an in-game calendar might be beneficial. Having some on-screen indication of the time-of day would be something that the library could provide. I've also wanted to add enemy respawning. With an in-game clock I could show examples of how to do different things - enemies respawn at midnight, difficult enemies come out at night, etc.

I'm not sure how much I want to get into this. There's a graphical component to the day-night cycle that I'd prefer to avoid but the rest of it might be nice to have.
This might be a good idea to make as a Module if you don't think that it would be a good idea to add to the framework. I could see this as a interesting add on for the frame work that people would get decent usage out of.
Whoops! I'll add it to the list too. I didn't mean to exclude your ideas, I just didn't put that much time into making the list of potential modules =)
Forum_account resolved issue (Not Feasible)
I'm marking this as not feasible because it wouldn't be part of the framework itself, but I'm keeping this on the list of topics to be handled by modules.