In response to Forum_account
Forum_account wrote:
The best people can say right now is "DM is slow but I couldn't figure out Java."

Java isn't exactly fast either. It's definitely faster than BYOND, but when it comes to games I personally think C++ is best choice.

I've played games made with Flash (a lot of Kongregate games), Unity (a few on Kongregate) and Java (Runescape, Spiral Knights, Minecraft, Drakensang) and the only constant thing about them was lag.

Some Flash games had laggy input while graphics clearly aren't lagging (Epic War Saga, Shop Empire 2), while Ninja Warz had no input lag but there were extreme graphical bugs (half-rendered images, etc), whole screen gets messed up because Flash just can't draw fast enough.

For Unity I can remember only Accelerator, maybe it was resource creation or GC, but there were some random lags, considering game's style it was really bad.

As for Java... Minecraft has slow chunk generation, lag spikes when I turn the camera, when I tried to host multiplayer it was horrible as well, only 1-2 players were able to play lag-free. Loading texture pack with high resolution textures takes like a minute. 4096x4096 texture should be about 64 MB in size; data bandwidth is several GB/s, so it should be within few miliseconds to create such texture, no idea why Minecraft takes so long. Runescape has generic low FPS through whole game, considering it's an MMO it could be fine, but other MMOs don't suffer from such problem, so I'll just blame it on Java, unless you think Jagex doesn't have good programmers. Spiral Knights had random 1 second spikes in some levels, as far as I asked people everyone had it, 'nuff said.

Edit:
Before you say I need better PC or something like that. I cna play Assassin's Creed on highest settings, Crysis 2 on medium (debug/beta version of Crysis 2 reported rendering 700,000 triangles per frame), there's no way this PC can't handle drawing Runescape with it's 500 triangle models and near-to-none shading.
In response to Zaoshi
Zaoshi wrote:
Java isn't exactly fast either. It's definitely faster than BYOND, but when it comes to games I personally think C++ is best choice.

To clear things up here, I don't think either one is better than the other overall; that's a choice solely for a programmer - understanding the technical differences between both of the languages will immensely help you instead of just saying "C++ is better than Java when it comes to game development".

I've played games made with Flash (a lot of Kongregate games), Unity (a few on Kongregate) and Java (Runescape, Spiral Knights, Minecraft, Drakensang) and the only constant thing about them was lag.

As far as I know, rendering images exceptionally fast(which is what I'm going to guess you're expecting) is a known problem in Flash.

As for Java... Minecraft has slow chunk generation, lag spikes when I turn the camera, when I tried to host multiplayer it was horrible as well, only 1-2 players were able to play lag-free. Loading texture pack with high resolution textures takes like a minute. 4096x4096 texture should be about 64 MB in size; data bandwidth is several GB/s, so it should be within few miliseconds to create such texture, no idea why Minecraft takes so long. Runescape has generic low FPS through whole game, considering it's an MMO it could be fine, but other MMOs don't suffer from such problem, so I'll just blame it on Java, unless you think Jagex doesn't have good programmers. Spiral Knights had random 1 second spikes in some levels, as far as I asked people everyone had it, 'nuff said.

I have never experienced these problems and I usually play Minecraft on my AMD Athlon Neo Processor w/ 2GB RAM.
Minecrafts code is a horrible mess, you should never use it for any form of comparision, on some of even the most modern GPUs it will just churn out 10 FPS because the graphics code is so bad
And dont dont get me started on the chunk handeling
Minecraft runs great for me. Just saying.
It does run great if you have tiny render distance, but it's impossible to see anything like that.
I play with far or at least normal, but it lags whenever camera is moved, which is always.
I have a fairly terrible computer in terms of gaming and I can play Minecraft at Normal rendering distance with no issues, even works on Far rendering if I'm not running it single player.
I just tried vanilla Minecraft with Far rendering distance. Made Creative Singleplayer world, it runs at about 45 FPS with random spikes of 70+ FPS, I'm not doing anything, just staring at the screen and it changes a lot. As I start moving it drops to 30 FPS. Then I walk into chunk lag. On singleplayer... FPS doesn't change and it doesn't bother to generate/render chunks unless I walk into them. Then I turn around and FPS drops to 10 while chunks are loading.

If there were any buildings (custom stuff, not seed) or monsters it would be even worse.
In response to Zaoshi
Zaoshi wrote:
I just tried vanilla Minecraft with Far rendering distance. Made Creative Singleplayer world, it runs at about 45 FPS with random spikes of 70+ FPS, I'm not doing anything, just staring at the screen and it changes a lot. As I start moving it drops to 30 FPS. Then I walk into chunk lag. On singleplayer... FPS doesn't change and it doesn't bother to generate/render chunks unless I walk into them. Then I turn around and FPS drops to 10 while chunks are loading.

If there were any buildings (custom stuff, not seed) or monsters it would be even worse.

Do you have dedicated graphics?
In response to Bravo1
All systems have. GPU works way different from CPU; CPU is unable to draw anything but extremely simple scenes.

If you're asking whether I have separate graphics card then yes; GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB.
In response to Alathon
It isn't as big a deal as you make it seem to be. It was just a simple comment. I chose to join in along with the conversation, nothing more.
All systems have.

No. Dedicated Graphics is when you have a card or chipset with it's own separate RAM, dedicated to only graphical memory. (There are chipsets like this in some gaming laptops)

The card may still be your issue though 320mb dedicated isn't very good. The card itself is powerful as balls, yes, so it runs through most games just fine, but Minecraft uses RAM primarily (especially from the card if available) and unless you're running with at least 512mb Dedicated you're gonna have a bad time.

Otherwise, you can try going into the Java settings and up the memory cap. IT usually defaults to the size of your Graphics ram (320) but if you want it to use more you have to change the value yourself.

It only happens on 50% systems, but I had to do it for my current desktop and my old laptop. I run Skyrim on Ultra High but if I hadn't changed that setting I'd still be raging over Minecraft.
No. Dedicated Graphics is when you have a card or chipset with it's own separate RAM, dedicated to only graphical memory. (There are chipsets like this in some gaming laptops)
They all have memory, just separate graphics card tends to have more or/and much faster memory, as well as processing power.

Minecraft doesn't use any neat rendering effects, it shouldn't need a lot graphics memory.
Even if it would render 500 blocks away (which it doesn't) it makes 1000 x 1000 block area around player, or 1,000,000 blocks. That's only about 160 MB to store position + texcoord.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7