ID:83575

Keywords: sariat, submerged
Coming to BYOND -- Submerged, the underwater survival horror game!

Project Name: SUBMERGED
Tag Line: TBA

Description

NOTE: This game will be made as BYOND's first professional game dev team.

Overall Theme: A very dark game. Some blood and gore (But not overdoing it!). Lighting is a huge role in this game, even with the lights on, you can't see EVERYTHING, even worse when the lights are off. Fear of the unknown! You never know whats around the corner, you never know how long the battery of your flashlight will hold or how long the oxygen is going to last in a certain area, etc

Story: An underwater compound is the setting for this gritty game. There is only one goal, and many ways to achieve it in this robust, multiplayer survival game: STAY ALIVE. Through various RANDOM scenarios , players must either escape to the surface of this mutli-level building or eliminate all threats by any means neccessary.

NOTE: A game will consist of 4-8 players per "round" , rounds should last anywhere from 5-15 minutes but typically no longer than 20. Once a player dies, they will be able to observe thier peers.

Characters: Would be random ranging from doctors to scientists to would be human expiriments that got lucky that a state of emergency has been called. Just regular ol' folk with no super human powers. Unless you're the monster. Then you're a bad ass who can kill the humans with a couple of attacks (obviously some game balance would be there-- more difficult to open doors and wouldnt be able to use any objects)

Gameplay: A few of the many possible scenarios are:

Monster Mash:

Monster(s) have breached the underwater compound and the crew must eliminate the monster(s) by any means possible. Monsters would be playable characters and chosen at random.

H1N1(Swine Flu) Mode

One player would start out infected with a virus and that person's goal is to infect the entire crew before they escape. Once a person is infected, they can also help spread the infection or sacrifice themselves before the virus takes full control.

Sabotage:

The entire compound has reached a Civil War and the last remaning survivors battle each other to escape the underwater compound. Players could sabotage submarines, start fires, lockdown doors and flood certain areas to prevent the other team from escaping and so on. First team out/Team with most survivors wins! (I forsee a lot of battles to the death on the top floor!)

And last but certainly not least: SURVIVAL.

Survival throws in a dangerous mix of all the previous game modes but the overall objective is to ESCAPE! At the start of this mode, the underwater compound will be on the brink of destruction, fires blazing, stairwells blocked off, very few working lights, Monster infested floors, NPC's infected with the virus, and so on. Every man for themselves on this one. Live together, or die alone anyone?

Rewarding the player: Players receive points by accomplishing goals. If they are a monster, and kill somebody, they earn points. If they are a human and escape, they earn points, and so on.

Weapons: There will be no guns in the game. A small arms pistol with limited ammo MAYBE, think more along the lines of tazers, metal pipes, and some other unconvential weapons. Nothing long range.

X-Factor: The most important character of the game is the underwater compound itself. It will never be the same map, ever. The compound could be anywhere from 5-20 stories tall, there are several ways to get up or down floors, MAP LAYOUTS WILL NOT BE THE SAME (they will be created on the fly each round) ,items will be scattered and in random conditions, stairwells may be blocked, a small fire might have started , the lights may or may not be on with only emergency back up lights on, there may be only one submarine that fits one person or a large submarine that fits four people, etc . The main focus is that the same game will never be played twice thus creating a high level of replayability for constant, robust mayhem with several possibilities.

This is the first of the series of posts about Submerged, suscribe to receive more content
"M for Mature"

You lost my interest right there. I don't play those games.
How so? I just wanted to let people know there was going to be blood in it and to not expect pokeballs or happy dandy cartoon violence.

You might see some flesh, blood (human and monster), you will be using weapons, etc

Just wanted to make sure people knew it wasn't a kid friendly anime game and was going to be darker than most games.

I'm not looking to make Saw 7.

Edit: But if it makes you feel better, I took the "M" off.
If it's an underwater base, wouldn't they have more than a couple of limited ammo pistols?

I think atleast 1 machinegun would be cool, but it is very hard to achieve/find. This would make players not to just plain escape, but have an advantage while escaping. Thus searching the station for it.
Yes, they -would- but most of the military personell allready took the weapons on their way (Attempting to?) Escape. Limited ammo and smaller caliber guns adds to the gameplay, look, and feel that we're trying to achieve.
But, just for those people who were hoping for crazy weapons... I just recommend you search every nook and cranny :)
I like the H1N1 mode.
Aw, this totally coincides with my underwater 'Sealab' project (which kind of never started) but still. Hope this comes out well, because it sounds fun. :)
Sounds great, can't wait to try it.
I also love how you were more creative than simply "Infection Mode" and called it "H1N1 Mode."
Pure genius.