ID:841548

I was thinking is it better to use HUDs for most of the games interface layout or is it better to use skin?

I myself think that skin looks worse than huds but that it is much easier to work with it. What are your thoughts on this?
Dj dovis wrote:
I myself think that skin looks worse than huds but that it is much easier to work with it. What are your thoughts on this?

That's basically it, though for most things skins aren't any easier to work with. I find it much easier to write or modify code to control how the HUD looks and works. It beats going into the interface editor to position things and it beats using winset/winget. I'd use HUDs as much as possible. There are only a few things that interface controls are better for (ex: things with scrollbars).
In response to Forum_account
I think HUDs look nicer, but skins are definitely easier to build. I prefer to drag and resize controls over the screen I can see in front of me as I design it.
As it goes, a screen-based interface is kind of a de facto standard in the gaming industry. How many games can you think of that actually use Windows interface controls for ... anything?

My convention is this. I like to use screen-objects for literally everything, so I generally do. If the feature has to do with actual game-play, then I will use a screen-based interface. If the feature is an outside function, say hosting or chatting, I will generally use interface elements. Other than that, I only really use interface elements for gimmicks like mouse tracking, interchangeable screens, et cetera.
Oh, I forgot. The flash client won't be using skins, so if you plan on using it, don't design the game around the skin. As far as I know, it'll only have a map, output, and input.
I have actually denied huds for most of my coding on byond because I could not ever get a hang of on-screen text which makes up alot of the stuff in popular games eg. Quest text,button text and much more.
In response to Dj dovis
It has only been made much easier with maptext. Now on-screen text is just a variable.