Or we can just stop discriminating and accept all kinds of games.
How dare BYOND try to promote making original games to use exclusively with the standalone installer they've spent precious time and effort to make in hopes they'll see some money coming back their way.

Shame on you Tom. Shame.
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
How dare BYOND try to promote making original games to use exclusively with the standalone installer they've spent precious time and effort to make in hopes they'll see some money coming back their way.

Shame on you Tom. Shame.

I'm fine with not being able to use the new installer. I completely understand that.
I'm just a little upset that I won't be able to use the old system anymore.

Sure, great, I get it. Ya'll hate fangames, but continuing support of a method that potentially removes them from the site should be in your best interests. My fangame is separate from BYOND because it uses the old installer. You're suggesting that I should be directing users through BYOND instead. Doesn't that only accomplish saturating BYOND with more fangames?
No doubt some people would simply advise me to not make a fangame, and all my problems would be solved. Sure - I'd do that today, but this game is already made, and has been hosted 24/7 for the past 7 years. I'm going to continue running it until the players that beg me to do so stop playing.

I'm not trying to be difficult - I'm expressing my concern with this direction. Tom won't somehow gain money just because he stops fangame owners like me from getting players.
In response to Murrawhip
Well, you could try suggesting they re-add the feature for games that can't take advantage of the new standalone installer.
In response to Murrawhip
Murrawhip wrote:
but continuing support of a method that potentially removes them from the site should be in your best interests. My fangame is separate from BYOND because it uses the old installer. You're suggesting that I should be directing users through BYOND instead. Doesn't that only accomplish saturating BYOND with more fangames?

You could use ver495
the Standalone Client is on ver496
the Make-EXE is on ver495
Since we have a better way to market original games, why not remove Anime games entirely?
So basically what you're saying is, that you will waste 1 and a half years of developing and testing on a Flash Client, that had the entire BYOND Community with their eyes on it, to now restrict it to what? 15, 20 games?
And not to say that most of that Original games has a shitty playerbase, where the fangames do have around 60-100 players, the popular ones, 20-50 the less ones.

YES, it is fine in case of a RIP, but a fangame like NEM, which is growing now at an unexpected rate will be banned from it.

Fangames may not get incoming money for BYOND, but those new players of that fangames can become a BYOND Member any day, isn't this money for you?

Atleast you could make the Standalone Client a like-membership, where people can pay to have 1 Year access to it. No matter it is fangame or not, that would resolve your want-to-be-rich problem. No offense, only my opinion.
In response to Nadrew
What's stopping someone from using the hub entry for a listed game to package a different, non-listed game as an exe?

Nadrew wrote:
BYOND is trying to get a cut of the profits games using the standalone generate.

I'm not sure how this restriction helps BYOND make money (aside from needing to be a member to get the hub entry to use this feature). BYOND doesn't get money directly from the distribution of games, they only get money from subscriptions. If a game doesn't use subscriptions they're not getting any money from it. If it does use subscriptions, they're getting money whether it was distributed as an exe or dmb.

A better approach would be to provide more features that game developers would want and charge for them. BYOND could offer databases that are associated with hub entries and they're free if you stay within a certain size/transaction/bandwidth limit but start to cost money if you exceed those limits. The easier it is to distribute a game the more people might play it and the more database traffic it'll generate.
There are plenty ways for BYOND to earn money without having to literally sacrify fangames.
I like that idea of a MySQL Dtabase, I would buy one if there was the choice.
Why not get rid of fangames in their entirety from the site with all of the upcoming items? A large percentage of them either rip sources, icons, or ask for "donations".

@Neo Rapes Everything: Even Naruto: Eternal Memories has a donate verb in it, where you "Donate" for characters (pay for them). This bull**** ticks me off.
It would be removed if BYOND featured fangames, but they are jutst ignored and threatened like crap.
I don't see why still feature BYOND when they give us nothing but restrictions. Yes, I agree to RIPs not being listed, but an "original" fangame is more than enuogh to be featured.

50% of BYONDers has came to the community thanks to a fangame, I can assure.
BYOND's is currently trying to escape the fangame craze. Featuring fangames brings more publicity to them - thus it results, in legal issues. (Let's note that one Duel Monsters game, all FUNimation and Square Enix properties).

BYOND cannot make money off of fangames, or properties owned by another corporation. BYOND is a business. If you were running a business, would you risk legal trouble, and financial loss, just because some people want to list their Naruto game on your website - for free, without giving you anything, because you can't get anything out of it?

It's not that hard of a concept. BYOND needs to promote original games because BYOND can make money off of original games - not fangames.
Build Your Own Net Dream*

*Restrictions to your dreams apply.
No one is stopping you from Building Your Own Net Dream Based On Someone Else's Intellectual Property, even though this isn't BYONDBOSEIP.

You just can't have it as fully published as a dream based on your own design.
In response to Mouchy
Mouchy wrote:
Build Your Own Net Dream*

*Restrictions to your dreams apply.

No one is preventing you from building your dream game. The standalone client and hub is not an essential in game making.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Then why not let everyone make use the standalone installer? Just because it cant be published why should the installer be limited.
Because the installer is meant to make ORIGINAL games more known across the web, and easier to distribute.

The installer is a higher form of publishment.
In response to Mouchy
Because BYOND is a business. Because Tom needs to make money and can only do that by allowing games that can legally profit use the standalone installer.

BYOND's software is not some God-given right like everyone seems to think it is, it's a privilege. You people throw the biggest tantrums every single time you don't get something for free or your way. If Tom doesn't want fan-games to utilize the standalone installer, then they won't. Fan-game owners coming out of the woodworks screaming "BYOND STANDS FOR BUILD YOUR OWN NET DREAM WHY DO YOU HATE FAN-GAMES" isn't going to help.

Additionally, I can't help but find myself annoyed by fan-games and their strange sense of thinking they need hundreds of thousands of players. You already have the entirety of BYOND's user base playing only fan-games, leaving original games with one or two players at most. Fan-games are pretty much a leech, which is why original games need a way to gain exposure elsewhere instead of somewhere no one will ever play them. Fan-games do not need more exposure, they really don't.
In response to LordAndrew
Are you seriously blaming fan games for the lack of original games? The reason more people play fan-games over the original games is because the vast majority of the fan-games are just better games. If there were original games out there that were even half as good as some of the fan-games people would play them.

(also i think it has something to do with the themes itself being advertised, people who watch dbz or naruto want to play a dbz or naruto game.)

And yes Byond is a business, but it is not a game making business, it is tool-making business. Tom creates the tools that people use to make games. Anykind of business model he has developed should be based off of selling the tools not the games themselves.

I guess my last point is that fan-games make up the vast majority of players and potential profits. Alienating your largest customers is not good business. Also why limit the standalone installer in the first place unless he is planning it to sell it all game? (Not included in membership)
In response to Mouchy
Emmm there is some good games that arent fangames. Most fangames are crap. Like there was at least 10 different dbz rips which drawed in like 500 players in total. I am not even mentioning naruto GOA rips which can bring in double that. Also it should be illegal to make ANY fangame without buying rights. The people who make fangames think there is some potential in doing so. There isnt full stop. Have you seen many fangames(by people who do not own the license to legally make them) being made outside of byond? I havent. You guys are lucky enough to get this software for free or get any of the good updates for free(flash,standalone etc).
Page: 1 2 3