ID:86324

Keywords: movies
Normally I wait until my previous post has dropped off the front page before going out of my way to make another. Then again, it's also quite rare that I have subjects to talk about so quickly in succession.

Anyway, to get to my point, I stumbled upon an incredibly interesting movie just before, and managed to watch it to the end without any hiccups.

The movie I'm referring to is called Girl, Positive. It's a teen drama (so unlike me) that focuses on a typical american teen with everything to live for, until she finds out that one of her previous partners was HIV Positive.

The movie takes an interesting look into how quickly rumours and sexually transmitted infections can quickly rummage through a persons life and effect it in ways most people can't comprehend.

The movie itself isn't done in your standard drama movie style. It more takes on the role of an educational film, as throughout the movie, bits and pieces of information will popup about the effects of unprotected sex as well as other interesting statistics here and there, mostly about infection rates of HIV and AIDS.

Anyway, it's a very interesting watch, and I recommend it for anyone who falls into the age group for the movie (I got the feeling of mid-teen to early twenties). It's clearly designed to be more thought-provoking and awareness-generating than entertaining, but in the end, I enjoy movies that make me think.
<offtopic>You never update your Day of Death Journal. Ever.</offtopic>

That movie just doesn't sound like it's very interesting at all the way you explain it.
Duelmaster409 wrote:
<offtopic>You never update your Day of Death Journal. Ever.</offtopic>

Busy.

That movie just doesn't sound like it's very interesting at all the way you explain it.

I don't doubt many people wont find it interesting. But I'm sure a few of my colleges around here might give it a shot and like it.

I guess you have to be strange to be interested in a movie about incurable virus' and diseases. Or a sadist in enjoying watching young girls suffer for making mistakes, your call.
Duelmaster409 wrote:

I have to agree with this. The description made it sound like a chick-flick loaded with educational propaganda. :P

Granted, chick-flicks aren't inherently bad and I like many that I watch---and I even like some teen-to-twenties dramas. (I like the ABC show Greek, which surely never airs in Aussieland). But this film doesn't sound good at all.
Kuraudo wrote:
(I like the ABC show Greek, which surely never airs in Aussieland).

Two things about this sentence offend me.
One: You actually like that show.
Two: You honestly think we're not americanised enough that we wont get this show? We get american idol for Christ sake.
Are you HIV positive.
Charliegrooms14 wrote:
Are you HIV positive.

I'm not, because I'm awesome.
Duelmaster409 wrote:
Charliegrooms14 wrote:
Are you HIV positive.

that makes you gay
Charliegrooms14 wrote:
that makes you gay

The misconception that HIV and AIDS are only contractible by homosexuals is now another reason I push watching the aforementioned movie. As it has a female protagonist.

To answer your previous question: No, I've not contracted any sexually transmitted infections nor have I had any major serious illness. Hell, I've never even had a broken bone.

I'm totally Iron Man.
Charliegrooms14 wrote:
Duelmaster409 wrote:
Charliegrooms14 wrote:
Are you HIV positive.

that makes you gay

Don't tell anyone.
Tiberath wrote:
Charliegrooms14 wrote:
that makes you gay

The misconception that HIV and AIDS are only contractible by homosexuals is now another reason I push watching the aforementioned movie. As it has a female protagonist.

To answer your previous question: No, I've not contracted any sexually transmitted infections nor have I had any major serious illness. Hell, I've never even had a broken bone.

I'm totally Iron Man.

Lee "Tiberath" McDonald != Tony Stark.

I'm greater to or eqaul to you.
Charliegrooms14 wrote:
Are you HIV positive.

I was going to say that :(

Are you sure? Yes, I'm HIV positive.

(From South Park)

Yammen wrote:

Hey, I don't want my identity known EVERYWHERE I go. I mean, I need a break you know? Would you like fame to follow you every step you take?
Tiberath wrote:
Yammen wrote:

Hey, I don't want my identity known EVERYWHERE I go. I mean, I need a break you know? Would you like fame to follow you every step you take?

Fame to follow me every step I take? Yeah, I guess it'd be a huge step up from my situation now.
Tiberath wrote:
Yammen wrote:

You know, now that you mention it....

Someone grab the goatee off this image and superimpose it on this one.

Secret, goatee-less life?
Tiberath wrote:
One: You actually like that show.

Eh, yeah. I think it's pretty good.

Two: You honestly think we're not americanised enough that we wont get this show? We get american idol for Christ sake.

I just am pretty sure Australia doesn't have fraternities and sororities at their Universities, and so it wouldn't make much cultural sense to have a show based almost entirely on those concepts air there. It almost completely makes it impossible to connect with an audience, I think.
I'm not entirely sure what a fraternity is, outside of "a bunch of douchebags doing stupid shit". That's what television tells me, anyway.

If a fraternity is nothing more than a 'club', then our universities have those. I've met a few people from the communist club at my friends university. There's also no doubt clubs for homosexuals, lesbians (because they have to be different) and any political party that has come and gone throughout the course of history (including foreign countries).

University life as it stands is foreign to me. I've weaselled my way into a group of university students thanks to connections, but I might as well be an outsider, as most of the time, their conversations go over my head.

I've managed to successfully engage in conversations regarding computers, programming and the like with university level tech students (including one in robotics). But when it comes to politics, history or philosophy, I stick out like a sore thumb (maybe not so much in philosophy).
DarkCampainger wrote:
Tiberath wrote:
Yammen wrote:

You know, now that you mention it....

Someone grab the goatee off this image and superimpose it on this one.

Secret, goatee-less life?

ph33r my artistic (paint) skills
Tiberath wrote:
: No, I've not contracted any sexually transmitted infections nor have I had any major serious illness. Hell, I've never even had a broken bone.

you should get out more then

And on a serious note, if you think fraternities are "a bunch of douchebags doing stupid shit" then you really are missing out and have no idea what you are talking about.
Page: 1 2