ID:87148

Well I was searching around the internet for ideas (Hair styles to mimic mostly) when I accidentally stumbled upon this game Runes of Magic through a picture of elven hair styles.

Well I looked over the site, saw it was free and figured what the hell. I downloaded it and began to play. It's amazing!

It has a sorta World of Warcraft feel to it, but I found the gameplay and presence much better. The character customization is awesome (although you only get two races to choose from) and the tutorials give a great introduction, even to those familiar with the style.

The only downsides I've experienced so far is that the game's controls (mostly clicking) are a little insensitive, and movement is a little strange. Other than that I suggest it to everyone looking for a good free game!
I found the gameplay and presence much better
the game's controls (mostly clicking) are a little insensitive, and movement is a little strange.

wat
I played Runes of Magic for awhile. They did a alright job on the whole "Copy World of Warcraft" idea. And they did some other stuff really well that Blizzard hasn't even done yet. I appreciate the fact I can do the same daily quests over and over again for money.

I really like the whole Multi-Class idea, at first. After I saw how it actually worked it sucked. I went with a tank type first and went with magic later on. I found it was really lame I had to re-level my mage class to only get half the magical ability while tanking, while people who were healing, got the full benefits of healing, no matter what class they played. I felt robbed of my time, it wasn't even worth it.

Also their quests aren't very travel friendly. They are all just spread out, all willy nilly. They don't plan ahead and have, at the very least, a consideration for the fact players have to run all over the fucking place. Blizzard did a good job on how the quests were laid out, and didn't make you go too far out of your way to do a quest.

Another issue I had with the game was the cash shop. Last time I played, you could buy new gear, new mounts, enchantments, even exp bonuses with real money. And that just makes my own effort go right out the window when some kid with too much access to too much money can leap frog me in seconds.

In the end, I'd rather play WOW.
SuperAntx wrote:
I found the gameplay and presence much better
the game's controls (mostly clicking) are a little insensitive, and movement is a little strange.

wat

Gameplay is not the same as controls.
Without good controls there cannot be good gameplay.
SuperAntx wrote:
Without good controls there cannot be good gameplay.

The Call of Duty game for DS has almost identical gameplay to the console games, but the controls are horrible. Torchlight has gameplay very similar to Diablo, one of my favorite games, but there is something about the controls I can't stand.

A game can have good gameplay but still have bad controls, they are 2 different things.
controls usually tend be considered a subset of gameplay; if the controls are bad to the point where you can't stand the game, wouldn't you say the gameplay is marred by it?

and yeah, RoM is cute for a short while, but you will very very quickly see through its thin layer of WoW-esqueness and grow weary of it
I'm going to have to disagree. Gameplay is the sum of all the game's parts working together. If one cog is out of sync the rest of them are effected.

If the graphics are bad, or the controls are bad, or if the gameplay mechanics are broken then the player's engagement is diminished. If the player isn't having fun then the game has bad gameplay.
Last time I looked for hairstyles online I ended up looking like Shimmy Coco Puffs. Lol.
I'd rather play with myself.
Well I hadn't gotten to a slow point yet, but I do enjoy it. The controls aren't so bad that they inhibit the gameplay, basically it's just every now and then I have to re-click because I don't believe that (IN BYOND TERMS) "mouse-opacity=2"... lol

The only other beef is that the Q & E buttons are used to turn and A & D are sidestep buttons, which are ass-backwards compared to what I'm used to.

I really don't see much of a WoW clone in this game, I mean aside from the fact that it's a 3D MMORPG they have nothing in common besides a few buttons.

As far as free games go, this is the best one I've stumbled upon. I don't mind the ability for people to pay their way past me, because that's not how I wish to play the game more power to them. Obviously there'll be higher leveled and better geared players than myself, but so far it's decent entertainment.

It's updated pretty often from what I see, and honestly I'd still recommend it to others.

Edit: Oh and not hairstyles for my person, but for my characters in the game I'm designing. Elvish hair styles to be specific.
I have a friend that is extremely high levelled at this game, I've been thinking of trying it out myself but donno. I tend to not get too interested in the "Go collect me 20 lynx teeth to save the village." type games.
This may be a unique experience, but I've found that the quests actually make sense.
I play RoM on the Reni server. I'm a level 35/31 rogue/scout named Andromede, I also have a 27/21 priest/knight named Kerrigan.

My girlfriend and I both love the game, it's an excellent WoW alternative. Look me up if you play Reni. ;)

Also: You can change keybinds in the options, to fix the Q/E & A/D issue. I hated that too.
I found that out afterwards. I'll look you up Pol.
In all honestly, WoW private servers are horseshit and paying for WoW monthly isn't going to work out for me. Runes of Magic is pretty likeable, I've played it for some time and really enjoyed it, 5GB isn't that dreadful in comparison to 16GB that WoW gang rapes from your hard drive, but then again, if you have a good hard drive unlike me, then that wouldn't be an inconvenience at all. If you're a person who doesn't want to wait around for a game to download, and you're a person who's interested in a game like WoW, then I would advise RoM. It doesn't take more than an hour for me to download RoM and set it up. Unlike WoW, it took me a lot long, and they had a shit load of patches to download.