I'd be inclined to suggest both were not as major an issue as stated. The yea/nay was, essentially less than useful, as a moderator had a good idea of what was worth keeping or not, and the content was not too difficult to keep up with. However I think to call it a trainwreck would perhaps put things in too strong terms. It just not really a tool that was needed, as it turns out.

The second part also wasn't such a big deal, at the beginning their life or the end. There was a phase in the middle where moderators essentially overlooked the entire system for one reason or another, and so a trend of "anything goes" did develop. Once that was cleared up however (which I think, it was in the last few months of the system's life), things did tend to more of a developer or gaming focus, both of which are very useful and good reading for much of our community.

It's one of those areas where I think we perhaps inflated the sense of problem there was in blogs, from both staff and general community perspectives, and so an action was taken. What is probably worth asking, is what we as a community would like to get out of a blog system?
In response to LordAndrew
To be fair, all that base stuff is unfortunately considered related to game development by many inexperienced users; even though it usually isn't. Further more, because of the lack of blogs, posts like these have simply shifted to the forum where they're even harder not to notice.

I always seem to click these out of an annoying sense of curiosity and I usually end up face palming and wishing I hadn't. Seeing that go back to blogs, where its less noticed unless it actually matters or the person links friends would be nice.

All in all, with how people look at it, it might be design to bring blogging back with a new design and proper handling. It's just like Stephen001 said, it needs to be handled correctly, and some questions need answering.

It does, however, present a nice easy to use feature for all forms of the community. Avoiding the front page, and instead having a blog page similar to the Resources page might help too. You only go browing blogs if you want to, and you can navigate them through the most recent, popular, categories or whatever option(s) work best.

I think another big thing I hadn't thought of before on why people want to blog here and not elsewhere is not only is it a bit quicker to start doing, its much easier to post around and get someone to make some nice CSS or something for your blog. That is possible to do for other blog systems, but not quite as easily.
Would it be possible for us to take an approach to blog posts similar to Reddit's style with the upvote/downvote system? There would be a blog/new section, and a front page. So then we could eliminate the pointless blogs that made always made it to the front page, and moderating would be a little less strenuous.
In response to LightWizard
LightWizard wrote:
Would it be possible for us to take an approach to blog posts similar to Reddit's style with the upvote/downvote system? There would be a blog/new section, and a front page. So then we could eliminate the pointless blogs that made always made it to the front page, and moderating would be a little less strenuous.

As seen with Elation's DBZRlgr8, during the era of game rankings, that type of system is easily abused and never properly used.
Moderation of this, I think, isn't actually that strenuous. It wasn't really when the old system was in place either, and the cases where it did perhaps prove confrontational, are ones where I think we had a misunderstanding between the staff and the community about what that particular area was trying to achieve. So I'm actually inclined to say, we don't need any kind of vote mechanism or community moderation for such a system to work.
In response to Kidpaddle45
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
Blogs>Forum

I find the layout VERY boring... but again that's only my opinion.

I agree.
If the blog frontpage droped the "nay", it would be a greater web for byond's community. I suggest that highlighting the Most liked blogs of the day/week/month could be great for what it was. It would mean the blogs would be sorted out by positive intrests, and not by careless "nay's", which would be negative intrests. It would change the communitys attitude abit more positive. Also, new developers would have a much more intresting view on the community.
LordAndrew wrote:
Though perhaps if the blog feature did return, there could be two separate sections for blog posts and you could check if your post is either a [] Personal one or a [] Developer-related post.
I support this idea

I liked the blog as it was, but i think byond needed that extra positive energy in it(which i think my idea could bring).
Page: 1 2