ID:886018

Keywords: lag, linux, vps
This morning, I brought a VPS from Virpus and this is my first time managing a VPS and I was able to install BYOND and host my server, I don't know if it is just my VPS or something, But the server lags really badly and it freezes at moments then continues. I was told by someone that I've created a lag loop, but I'm not sure what that meant.

I hope to following information is useful

Disk Space - 60 GB
Guaranteed Ram - 1024MB
Burstable Ram - 1536MB
Bandwith - 1000 GB

If there is anyway to reduce lag,if I have done something wrong, or this is how my server has to stay, please let me know, Thanks.
Lag is a well known issue from Virpus, I've heard several people complaining about it. I suggest you look into a no so cheap VPS. Mikau once told me, you get what you pay for. For quality hosting I suggest LunarPages or 1and1. Also, Cloud Magic on Linux you have to create an admin.txt file with your key in order for the profiling option to be available.
Don't switch VPS providers until you know if it's actually the VPS that's the problem. Profile the game and/or see what resources are being used on your VPS. (Perhaps start with the 'top' command)
I plan to continue using Virpus until it ends for the month afterwards I'll try another to see a difference, If I find out the problem before hand, It would be much more easier to see what step I take next.
In response to Darker Legends
Darker Legends wrote:
Lag is a well known issue from Virpus, I've heard several people complaining about it.

Same here you get what you pay for, I have never tried them I heard the support is also slow and terrible.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Darker Legends wrote:
Lag is a well known issue from Virpus, I've heard several people complaining about it.

Same here you get what you pay for, I have never tried them I heard the support is also slow and terrible.

Do you recommend any that you know is good from past experience or heard about?

Honestly there are so many VPS providers it's a trial and error thing, BYONDPanel.com is run by me if you don't need SSH access then we are a good choice,

We are hosting - http://www.byond.com/games/WritingANewOne/EterniaPrologue

Other than trying to sell my services hit up lowendbox and see what comes up a few 1GB deals show up here and there.
Your best bet would be not cheaping out and buy a powerful machine.
In response to Darker Legends
Darker Legends wrote:
Your best bet would be not cheaping out and buy a powerful machine.

Well no not really BYOND only uses ONE core so buying a quad core server will be a waste..

Anything more than 1GB of RAM would be a waste also...

[EDIT] if you are just using it for BYOND :P
I host several FPS games on it aswell, still doesn't lag. =P
I used Virpus once, it's been the only VPS I used I hardly had any problems with it, only a few crashes here and there.
In response to ZIDDY99
ZIDDY99 wrote:
I used Virpus once, it's been the only VPS I used I hardly had any problems with it, only a few crashes here and there.

Virpus acctually is unstable for byond or atleast cheapest version