In response to Neo Rapes Everything
Neo Rapes Everything wrote:
Now that Interfaces are removed "temporarily", it is time for the programmers to center more on the On-Screen HUDs. Will look really better if they are done properly, lol.

What? I just came back from a break what do you mean interfaces are removed...

On screen huds lag and take up object count, forget them. Some games can't use them either, as they weren't designed for them. If my interface is removed I'm going to be pissed.

Eh, also I think byond is going about this incorrectly, sure you need to make money but the more eyes you get the better off you are and free always attracts more people.

I'm a developer and I am being punished because I don't want to "buy a membership". Can't list on hub, so my game basically doesn't exist on byond, can't make a standalone, well, why am I here then? This community is on a perpetual downhill slide in my opinion.

Yeah sure, the software is free, but only programmers can make any games with it everyone else is left to fend for themselves.

@ posts below -

@ Dark - Yeah, I suppose if the first iteration of the flash client doesn't support them that is okay, as long as they aren't "removed". I'm not here to make money, but if I happen to I'd happily give Byond a MAJORITY of the cut. I don't care about money.

@ Tom - It would be good to have a little bit of change, because as it stands currently I am completely blocked out of the Byond community and my own game website gets zero traffic. I am not a marketer or advertiser...Essentially I am in the Alpha throws of the game, barely getting a foothold (that I can't get). Advertising on other communities, as Dark suggests, doesn't work as they have little interest and expect a triple A production.

Guess i'll check back in a week or so, meanwhile..stare at my desktop.

Edit: Welp I've checked back and nothing has changed, not that I am surprised. Oh well, let me know (if you can) when byond becomes an open community again (instead of a pay to get in community) then I will continue to work on my game and bring it to byond, as I can't advertise it anywhere else due to the complexities of having to explain what byond is just to get people to play my game - nobody wants to go through registering an account for byond, download and install, then get to my game. Sometimes it is better to offer the option of donations and provide very nice features - it tends to make people Want to give money, instead of essentially Forcing them to (which turns people off, like me).

In the end if I never release the project it won't surprise me either, as it would just be one more of my games that Byond never saw.
In response to UmbrousSoul
He's referring to the new Flash client not supporting interfaces (at least initially). There's no reason to stop using them unless you're targeting the Flash client.

If you're here to make money, then it makes sense for BYOND to ask for a cut. If you aren't, then you can still advertise your game and servers on your own website (or any of the other communities that you think might enjoy it).
We'll be changing some things around because basically I agree with UmbrousSoul regarding the Membership perks. It was never our intent to alienate developers, but we need to bring in some income because this project has non-trivial expenses. More details probably next week.

Interfaces aren't going anywhere but they won't be supported at least in the first release of the Flash client.
How do you get a game listed nowadays? For example, Survival: TLE is occasionally on the front page when I go to games.byond.com, however the Distribution option isn't available under hub management. And of course I've been a member basically since it was introduced so if that's a requirement that should be set too.

I tried searching around a little bit but couldn't dig up the details.

Edit: I also have all the listed requirements under the "Options" tab in the hub entry as well, but those have been good to go forever.
In response to Polatrite
In response to Polatrite
Polatrite wrote:
How do you get a game listed nowadays? For example, Survival: TLE is occasionally on the front page when I go to games.byond.com, however the Distribution option isn't available under hub management. And of course I've been a member basically since it was introduced so if that's a requirement that should be set too.

I tried searching around a little bit but couldn't dig up the details.

Edit: I also have all the listed requirements under the "Options" tab in the hub entry as well, but those have been good to go forever.

The distribution tab isn't a sign of being listed, just to let you know. They reverted back to the manual way of doing things, where you contact them for BYONDexe keys.

Your game is listed, by the way.
http://www.byond.com/ forum/?forum=2&command=search&text=author%3APolatrite&scope= local

http://www.byond.com/games/Polatrite/ SurvivalTheLostEra?format=text
listing = "Listed"
Tom told me (on a forum post somewhere) that it's gone, but you can still ask him for an exe key to activate your hub.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
Tom told me (on a forum post somewhere) that it's gone, but you can still ask him for an exe key to activate your hub.

Why in the world would he go back to manual?

Wants more unnecessary work for himself?

Does the automatic key distribution not work?
In response to UmbrousSoul
I think I remember reading that it is because they're still in the testing phase, and have gotten enough testing done on that so they stopped doing the auto for now. Something along those lines, anyway.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
We'll be changing some things around because basically I agree with UmbrousSoul regarding the Membership perks. It was never our intent to alienate developers, but we need to bring in some income because this project has non-trivial expenses. More details probably next week.

Interfaces aren't going anywhere but they won't be supported at least in the first release of the Flash client.

How will things like chat work in games like NEStalgia for the initial release of the flash client? Assuming the output box is an interface control.
It will just have a limited interface including optional input & output boxes.
What about a browser control & javascript functionality?

I assume also all interfacing stuff like setting input/output controls height/widths/locations is also out of the question...

What I really care about is when you think there will be a flash client public beta or its actual release, how soon we can actually use it & test our games with it, or test how close it's to working in games that we play?
Cloud Magic wrote:
I would love to be able to at least test the flash client before 2013; preferably sooner than later.

It would probably be easier to just port to HTML 5 but I imagine there's some security crap involved.
I'm fine as long as it isn't an installer. Either something in my browser or a good ol' zip folder. Frickin' hate installers...
Now for the crucial question. :) Will there be an ability to transfer character data from B.Y.O.N.D to the standalone?
It's BYOND... The standalone still uses the same functions as BYOND's DM does now so nothing changes..
:O
Think it will be finished or ready to test this summer? The flash version.
Aaah, I'm not seeing the BYONDexe download option on the download page.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8