ID:89355

Keywords: techtree

I don't own a current generation console.  During Christmas, my relatives were not comfortable searching eBay for videogames so they gave me money.  So far I've bought Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, The Bard's Tale, The Hobbit and Radiata Stories.  (I also bought Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, but it hasn't arrived as quickly.)  I'm not crazy about the platforming moments with Abe, but I love Munch's Oddysee.  I've barely touched the others so far.

Vermolious and Tayoko are trying to determine their next project.  Details of why we've had to wait so long for the next version of their defense game, Efencea, are presented.  Frankly, I want an update to solidify its place as a featured game anyway.  Forget gameplay changes.  I want a functional help file!

Meanwhile, BYOND RPG's Tiberath and I fired volleys at each other in the comments. ;)

Ages ago, Kunark released the source to his turn-based fantasy, Surreal Dreams.  This week, Vexonator released a new beta.  Details on implemented changes are scarce, but plans have been posted in the forum.  I'm assuming the game has been rewritten to take advantage of BYOND features that didn't exist when it was originally created...  I'm also hoping that it will get its own hub entry because it's a pain keeping track of forks when I can't get pager alerts.

Magicbeast20's Conquest has been added to the guild.  I have not played it yet, but it appears to be an empire building game.  An update was released with bug fixes and the game now has a dedicated server.  Try it.

Acebloke announced the top 3 players of December (and 2009) who earned medals and points in his games.  Congratulations to Ganing, Kozuma3 and Mastermatthew.

Acebloke is also attempting to make his economic/military simulation, Wargames, accessible to a wider audience.  For instance, he's still working on a new interface and planning to create a tutorial.

Mechanos7 updated Empire Defense.  Changes include a new area, 7 new enemies, a new unit, a new building, 10 new waves, unit upgrades, and a redesigned shooting system.

DarkCampainger is running a poll to determine how to handle draws in his unreleased boardgame, Breach.  The goal of the game is to reach the opposite side of one's opponent.  One of the player actions is to move one's entire army forward, but this moves the target for the opponent forward as well.  That means it's possible to move an ally piece into the goal while moving the opponent's goal into an opposing piece.  Solutions other than those provided in the poll are welcomed in its comments.

Tsfreaks has been working on animations and AI for Mini-RTS.  Meanwhile, his summary of 2009 reveals a project he's been keeping under wraps called Outpost.  The post doesn't specify the genre but it looks like some resource management is going on in the screenshot.  Tsfreaks expressed a desire to return to the project, but its scope is a concern.

[Edit: Doh! I've mentioned Outpost before!]

BYOND Strategy's former king, IainPeregrine, announced the release of Regressia.  It's a retro-styled RPG with a demo for players to try before their purchase.  The release is slightly late due to issues setting up subscription access, but check it out.

The update to my card-battling boardgame, PathWrath 2, has been taking a while.  (Tech Tree readers are likely bored of that statement.)  I did work on it this week though.  I posted a preview of the new interface in the meantime.

I've also been distracted by a vast redesign of GrimTunnel which I think I'll turn into a separate game before selling a non-digital version on The Game Crafter.

Fooldom Come: One subscription. Many games.

Hmm. Tom Vasel is continuing his marathon of reviews. Victor “dogface” Ratliff is still interviewing Justin Wong... I think I'll go with ByteJacker this week because they returned to cover indie games from the past year.

Got news? Or money for bills instead of videogames?

I'd say I'd redo the helpfiles but, honestly, I don't want to dig through the zip archive full of version zip archives to find whatever version is currently released. Otherwise, we'd have to do a bunch of work so the game wouldn't be sporting half implemented features.
Ahh, Surreal Dreams.
I'm not sure how your taste in games goes, but the best thing about The Bard's Tale is the music. It's also nothing like Bard's Tale for the NES. I found myself singing "Beer beer beer" and "Nuckelavee" several times after I finished the game, though. The Chosen One songs were funny too, but they varied too much for me to remember them. Hope you don't consider those spoilers, if so, sorry.
What? Another empire building game called Conquest? Does this mean I have to start working on mine again?
Vermolious: The main problem is that the version that was reviewed to be featured had an up-to-date, functional help file and the one that actually is featured does not. I have to decide what the conditions are for removing a game from the featured list.

As for the potential spoilers, don't worry about them. "Nuckelavee" is the only one I haven't had hints about and I'm not even sure how to pronounce it. =)

@D4RK3 54B3R: You realize I was waiting for you to mention that, right? ;)
Maybe you should just take Efencea off the list until they get the game whipped into shape again.
Foomer wrote:
Maybe you should just take Efencea off the list until they get the game whipped into shape again.

I'm all for following guild guidelines. If it doesn't meet featured requirements, then it shouldn't be featured. It's not all that playable anyway.