ID:90341

Keywords: video
I'm pro-CoCo, but RocketBoom has a point (even if their presentation falls a little flat).

I know there are lots of people who watch their TV according to network schedules, but I'm not one of them. The only show I watch "live" is Supernatural (because CW takes to long to update). I get my television fix from Hulu, catch up on my YouTube subscriptions, and occasionally watch some anime on Funimation's video portal. This isn't just a battle between millionaires. It's a battle between dinosaurs. How much longer will time slots mean squat?
Even YouTube clips are translucent with your layout? I didn't even know that was possible.

Anyway, that was pretty horrible but I'm rather interested in the idea of Conan on the web. He would probably fare well at first, but I don't think the late night talk show format would sustain enough viewers over time. There aren't many web content providers capable of funding a show of his nature either.

He would definitely have to invest a lot of time and money inventing his own unique type of web show. Though, even if he was able to pull it off it would still take years to get back up to the level he was previously at.
From being in lots of meetings with people at all of the different networks, I can tell you that they barely acknowledge the internet as a viable platform. All of them are fixated on traditional TV programming and delivery. It's all about the prestige of the time slot, or the prestige of being on Network TV instead of Cable. That's all they see.

Nobody "in the business" wants to even talk about web based shows, because to them it's such small peanuts that they consider it below them. Even my own agents who could have stood to make a lot of money off me writing/producing a web show had zero interest in it. NBC invested a million dollars in a pilot written and produced by my friends... and then when the time came to put it on the web, NBC put up a short clip and then abandoned the idea completely after about a week.

So yeah. People in Hollywood don't understand the internet, and don't care to understand it. It may seem silly that there is such a fuss over a time slot (and especially in 2010, it is silly), but to them it's the whole world. Within the next 10 or 20 years a lot of these networks are going to go the way of the dinosaur, because they're culturally incapable of adjusting to the times.
SilkWizard wrote:
Within the next 10 or 20 years a lot of these networks are going to go the way of the dinosaur, because they're culturally incapable of adjusting to the times.

Clearly it's because of all those god damn pirates.

/s
SilkWizard wrote:
NBC invested a million dollars in a pilot written and produced by my friends... and then when the time came to put it on the web, NBC put up a short clip and then abandoned the idea completely after about a week.

THIS. IS. CULDESAC!

SilkWizard, the Internet demands you superimpose Leonidas' face over both Barats' and Beretta's faces in one of their videos. It's a reasonable demand.