ID:90543

I just updated the interface of my abstract, competitive dungeon crawl, GrimTunnel. I think it's time to stop development on the title. It was always an experiment. Some of it, like the paired-off battles during simultaneous turns, worked. Other parts, like the degree of randomness, disappoint me. I'll fix bugs if it's necessary, but I was starting to ponder implementing vast gameplay changes so I think it's time to move on.

On the bright side, I've been inspired to design what I hope is a better game for both BYOND and The Game Crafter. It will also focus on battling through abstract tunnels, but a lot of the mechanics (and even the goal) will be different. It will probably not be my next project.

Anyway, here are the interface comparisons:
Old => New

=>

=>

=>

=>

I kept it short and sweet when listing the changes in the game:
  • The default resolution is now 1024x768.
  • Various interface elements were adjusted for clarity.
  • The colors and textures of the skin were changed.
  • The help file was changed for improved color contrast and concise phrasing.
So overwhelming...
I just hope the new version looks less busy than the last.

May I ask how many times you learn a new boardgame? A feeling of dread is common in those cases.

I rarely have a player's previous game knowledge or an old game's interface to fall back on. I have to go through the iterations myself.
Ahh, such a great game. One of the few that bring me back to byond once and awhile. I'll give'er a try when i return home.