ID:90632

Poll: Music I buy...

Nothing. I pirate everything 55% (24)
CDs 9% (4)
digital format(ie. iTunes) 18% (8)
Records 0% (0)
Buy one of the hard copy options, and download digital versions legally 2% (1)
Buy one of the hard copy options, and download digital versions illegally 11% (5)
I don't listen to music 2% (1)

Login to vote.

First and foremost, I love heavy metal. I'm a die-hard fan of thrash, and have plans for a Slayer tattoo later on in the year(pending financial woes). Earlier today I was made aware of a really good, unsigned thrash band named "Diamond Plate". They're a three man set from the windy city area, and sound like an earlier thrash metal band(which in my eyes is a good thing).

Anywho, I went ahead and looked at their myspace, and they were selling shirts and their EP. Now, wihtout hesitation, I went and bought a Shirt, and a copy of their EP*. I didn't even think to go look on TPB. Now, after my purchase went through, I did go and look, and found a folder of their songs, and promptly began downloading. Now...this is technically illegal....but I don't feel that it should be. My veiwpoint is if you bought the rights to listen to a particular track, you have exclusive rights to listen to it on any format.

I typically buy Vinyl Records. I only buy CDs when there's no Vinyl version available...and I never legally download music. I like to have a hard version of the song.

I'm just curious about what everyone else does..I didn't include tapes because they're inferior to CDs, vinyls, and digital format(in other words, there's no bonus to having them), and they're a dead format.

-DP

*the total cost for both before shipping was $15(USD), which is less than any signed band's shirt goes for these days.
Arrrrggg...
/emote pirate_hook
Really? Nobody here think's it's plain immoral to have something without paying for it? I understand if it's mainstream music that's not worth a shit. But if you put any value or pride into your musical preference you should be shelling out some money. Seems unethical to do otherwise.
I pirate everything.
I've bought albums from iTunes, but I tend to prefer hard copies. (I suppose I'd go digital if I actually had a player other than my computer.) Once bought, I consider their content to be mine so I have no qualms about downloading other formats.

That said, I tend to listen to free podcasts and internet radio nowadays so it doesn't come up much. There are albums I want from my favorite artists, but I simply resist.
You're gonna love that tattoo when you're an old man in a nursing home with wrinkled skin trying to show it off to the ladies.
Disturbed Puppy wrote:
Really? Nobody here think's it's plain immoral to have something without paying for it? I understand if it's mainstream music that's not worth a shit. But if you put any value or pride into your musical preference you should be shelling out some money. Seems unethical to do otherwise.

Cost is inversely proportional to supply. Supply of digital music is infinite. Do the math.

I'm sort of in an other category, here. Most of the music I listen to is videogame music, so there are very few 'legal channels' to buy it. I've got some I've downloaded, some I've extracted from a ROM, some from actual official sound track disc things.

Also a lot of OCRemix music, but that's free to download anyway. And pretty awesome.
Disturbed Puppy wrote:

I actually, don't pirate anything unless it's near impossible to find/get a hold of.
I pirate alot of stuff, I do buy the occasional CD here and there if I like the artist.

My main reason of illegal downloads is that the shit I'm downloading often costs way too much. If songs were ten cents each instead of 99 cents , I might do it.(Which is far more reasonable, why should I help them get 4 more bentleys and a new pool when I'll only listen to the song a few times). Audiobooks however, can cost 8-20$ each, and that's just money I don't have.
BYOND Pirates pirate everything. xD
Limewire for the epic win
I understand the "cost" is steep. But I can't go along with the "bentley" comment, since many of the bands I listen to have jack shit. that $8 or whatever they charge is dinner to them. I mean, I had a band actually stay with me one night.

Now, if you listen to mainstream music, yeah, I can see where that comes from. I actually pirate Metallica, if for no reason other than because Lars said not to, and I think he's a bitch.

LP's are anywhere from $5 to $50, depending on who it is, the condition of the record, and if its a collectible.
Jp wrote:
Cost is inversely proportional to supply. Supply of digital music is infinite. Do the math.

I know and understand that, however I don't think capital is the greatest good morally. That's what I'm questioning.

I'm sort of in an other category, here. Most of the music I listen to is videogame music, so there are very few 'legal channels' to buy it. I've got some I've downloaded, some I've extracted from a ROM, some from actual official sound track disc things.

And....that's a different monster. Someone above you mentioned that if they can't find the music, they pirate it...and I can see that as entirely reasonable. I'm talking about music you can easily find by going to a record store, or in my case, the band is selling it at a show.
What's infinite is the number of copies that can be produced from a single title. The amount of unique titles is finite. The less producers of content get in return, the less they will be encouraged to create new content.
So from what I see now, out of the 31 people that voted...only 10 of us buy music? Wow, I see why music is so watered down and mediocre these days..

And to the douche that just had to put that they don't listen to music....go fall of a bridge or something lol.
Nothing. I only download free/public domain music.
Disturbed Puppy wrote:
I understand the "cost" is steep. But I can't go along with the "bentley" comment, since many of the bands I listen to have jack shit. that $8 or whatever they charge is dinner to them. I mean, I had a band actually stay with me one night.

I understand this..if it's a totally obscure band I'll probably buy the CD off of cdbaby or something, because if I'm following the more underground bands, I tend to just buy the whole CD.
Disturbed Puppy wrote:
So from what I see now, out of the 31 people that voted...only 10 of us buy music? Wow, I see why music is so watered down and mediocre these days..

And to the douche that just had to put that they don't listen to music....go fall of a bridge or something lol.

It's "watered down" in the mainstream because Sony BMG only back a handful of bands. Music in general is doing just fine, has done for thousands of years, if anything the ridiculous profits a select "chosen few" receive has left us with a huge artistic surplus, instead of any shortage of good artists. We have quite a lot of voices out there that want to "live the dream". American Idol, X Factor, they're all set up to kill a few birds with one stone, 1. weed out the mass of artists, 2. open up new revenue. The consequence of course is this idea that a lot of artists get that they need to fit a mold.

I had a point in there somewhere. I think it was that piracy affects the music industry, not music.
I don't watch a lot of reality television, but aren't they mostly designed to promote performers rather than creators? Weeding anything out would require a lot of original songs. The shows are focused on covers and Pavlovian responses. It's not the same service.
ACWraith wrote:
What's infinite is the number of copies that can be produced from a single title. The amount of unique titles is finite. The less producers of content get in return, the less they will be encouraged to create new content.

Music is pretty close to being a commodity for a lot of people. The difference really isn't as big as you might think.

My point was more about why people pirate - it's not a morality thing, it's because there's no way to stop it. The current economic model re: music (And copyright in general) is really only functional in an environment in which stuff is hard to copy - now that stuff is easy to copy, it falls apart.
Page: 1 2