ID:906544

Since I have joined BYOND I have wanted to make an original game of some-sort. I have made many many projects but never feel like I should release them seeing as I have a negative view upon myself in anything I do. I make mostly everything I've released browser based because I couldn't icon for the life of me, I don't know where to start and if I'll ever get anywhere with it. I wish I had the drive to learn to icon/sprite/draw as much as I did to learn DM. I don't know what my lack of motivation is , I just can't ever seem to finish a project because of the drawing/icon aspect of it. I know if I learned I would get farther but then motivation comes into play and I don't know how to get myself motivated to learn to "icon", I've tried everything and every time I think negatively about my work. I have things in my life to thank for that.

Does anyone have any "secret" they could share to help staying motivated to learn something? That definitely would help me at what I'm trying to achieve.
I originally motivated myself to learn Iconning and Pixel art by starting off with simple edits of icons that interested me. Then I started working slowly on icons for characters/objects/turfs that interested me(At the time... I had a major interest in Chrono Trigger, so I tried to work on icons for that).

All I can say is start off with simple things that interest you. Try to set a goal(Ex: Finish 2 icons a day then upload them for constructive criticism... so that the compliments can give you confidence in your work and the negative reviews/ suggestions will give you an idea on what you need to work on).

I hope I've been of some help, this is what I use to motivate myself to learn new things.
I'm also just like that Kozuma. I spent 4 years into learning how to Program, and now I need to learn how to Pixel Art and I just can't seem to find any time to learn how to Pixel Art. D:
Heh. I know where you're coming from, and it is completely natural.

As a programmer, my obligation to learn how to pixel art on my own came from the aspect of relying on others. I often have game ideas that pop up into my head, but they slowly start to diminish once you realize that you don't have a pixel artist - thus, you're back to the drawing board. That being said, it solely depends on your drive - how bad do you really want to meet that goal? Set objectives for yourself; start simple. Starting with difficult tasks(e.x., trying to pixel art a battle scene) will only guarantee a difficult learning experience.
Use freeware RPGMaker icons? It isnt like there are only two choices: steal icons or text based game, there are lots of free and open source game graphics available.
In response to DvK87
DvK87 wrote:
Use freeware RPGMaker icons? It isnt like there are only two choices: steal icons or text based game, there are lots of free and open source game graphics available.

I refuse to use work that isn't mine, even if it is free - I dislike using other people's librarys also.
That is fair, but it is hard to make a good game when you cant do a component of gamemaking and you don't collaborate in any way. Not that MUDs are bad though, they have an audience.
In response to DvK87
DvK87 wrote:
That is fair, but it is hard to make a good game when you cant do a component of gamemaking and you don't collaborate in any way. Not that MUDs are bad though, they have an audience.

That's true, but the collaborating part not so much.
If you want to stay motivated, go get a job. Might sound crazy but not only will it take your mind off of working on the game and earn you money. You'll also be working 30-40 hours a week, probably doing something you hate. If you can do that then doing something you enjoy should be pretty easy in comparison.

If not you can always use the money from your job to pay someone to work on the game for you.
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
If you want to stay motivated, go get a job. Might sound crazy but not only will it take your mind off of working on the game and earn you money. You'll also be working 30-40 hours a week, probably doing something you hate. If you can do that then doing something you enjoy should be pretty easy in comparison.

If not you can always use the money from your job to pay someone to work on the game for you.

Haha I understand the logic behind it :P
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:

I like your thinking!
I set daily and weekly goals for myself, host a livestream when I develop so my users can see what I do and offer feedback, create to-do lists(also related to goals), and make my gaames to be easy to work on
It really isn't important how art looks. As long as what you're drwing is consistent, everything else can be blamed on artist perspective. Art can't be wrong, but it can be bad.
In response to Yusuke13
Yusuke13 wrote:
It really isn't important how art looks. As long as what you're drwing is consistent, everything else can be blamed on artist perspective. Art can't be wrong, but it can be bad.

It's pretty bad, haha.
meh, I don't have any motivation for doing pixel art other than being bored... yep... boredom....
Like The Magic Man said, get a job.

A really bad job, In sewers.

After that, sitting down to make games will feel magical all the time.
I'm having motivation issues as well.

I have an idea and I'd like to make it reality, however when I open Dream Maker I'm like... "F*** this, thinking of all the content, icons, polishing, finding pixel art... Too much work"

Though coding wise (except polishing) I see no problems.
In response to Zaoshi
Zaoshi wrote:
I'm having motivation issues as well.

I have an idea and I'd like to make it reality, however when I open Dream Maker I'm like... "F*** this, thinking of all the content, icons, polishing, finding pixel art... Too much work"

Though coding wise (except polishing) I see no problems.

Then you want a game to be made, but you have no interest in making games. You cannot make games without enjoying the process, I find it relaxing and a great hobby. Like doing sodoku or building model airplanes. It is something I do to take my mind off of work and to have a creative outlet, I know my project will take time and that I wont see immediate completion of my ideas in one sitting, but you need to enjoy the journey and not just the final product.