Tsfreaks wrote:
the slow lumbering fancy-pants programmers who want to do everything the hard way.

That's an interesting observation.
If abiding to good habits is the 'hard way', then wouldn't it make sense that the industry would hire people who apply bad habits in their work?
Or, in other words, why do we claim something is a good habit, if it only causes trouble? Couldn't there be some benefits?

Tsfreaks wrote:
Programmers find "coders" to be annoying thoughtless creatures. They cannot comprehend why their kind even bother to continue breathing.

Since exaggeration is a valid method in literature, I'll take it as such, even though it couldn't be any more off. If somebody doesn't care for somebody else, they wouldn't try to help.

Tsfreaks wrote:
The terminologies (programmer/coder) thrown about in various postings or discussions do not necessarily say anything official about the person(s) using them. Although you could derive hasty conclusions but I don't see the point in calling out a persons "type". Seems more like the only reason to draw lines is for self serving egotistical desires which never result in anything good.

If you approach a job interview for molecular modelling and can't answer what VESPR is about, would you really think to have a chance of even being considered? If a mechanic asks you to hand him a tool and you can't because you do not know the name, wouldn't you think that this is a massive flaw for your work? If a professor approaches the class with 'Hi dudez, how r em haning? W8 u lazy basterd' and is supposed to compare the usage of allegory in Shakespeare's work compared to Goethe the very next second, wouldn't that sound strange?

I agree that general terms and their correct usage are not very important (though they help to provide a positive impression), but specific terminology for the specific field you're trying to engage seems essential to me.

Tsfreaks wrote:
If the goal is to make higher quality games and bring more people to BYOND, I agree with it.

How would you recommend that somebody new to the community would decide whom to hire as programmer? Lacking experience on the field itself, asking for an example is hardly a valid option.
Tsfreaks wrote:
I'm going to nay the post and not to be a troll but to cast my vote on the subject.

Your good right and no need to explain yourself. I didn't expect solely positive feedback right away. Disagreeing and arguing doesn't make a 'troll'.

Tsfreaks wrote:
It's just segregation propaganda.

And it is exactly meant as segregation. Selecting somebody can hardly be done without segregation.

Tsfreaks wrote:
I don't approve of the lashings people get for trying to help.

There is a difference between trying to help while capable of helping and trying to help while incapable of helping. If I were to try and teach English, I should rightfully be called to order. I'd do more wrong then good by any means for anybody inexperienced enough to listen to me.

Tsfreaks wrote:
someone posts a lame reply, I see this as an opportunity to help two people.

There is a danger to this though.
If I teach you English and you end up with the famous 'leet'-'chat'-language, don't you think you'd run into trouble when going for a job, recommending you're fluent in English and upon being tested fail completely?
Being taught wrong can often get stuck.
Tsfreaks wrote:
Some of "you" think they absolutely must learn or else. Some of "us" think they should learn whenever they decide to learn.

Though this is a completely separate (yet interesting) topic. You should blog about it if you want and I'd certainly provide my personal opinion on the subject of properly using the Developers forum. So, I'll just avoid this topic here.
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
That's an interesting observation.
If abiding to good habits is the 'hard way', then wouldn't it make sense that the industry would hire people who apply bad habits in their work?
Or, in other words, why do we claim something is a good habit, if it only causes trouble? Couldn't there be some benefits?

My comments were from the perspective of that group and not of my own, right?

Smoking is crazy. People do it anyway.

"Coders" want to make games but they don't want to learn how to make games. Again, crazy but they do it anyway.

Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Since exaggeration is a valid method in literature, I'll take it as such, even though it couldn't be any more off. If somebody doesn't care for somebody else, they wouldn't try to help.

Again, my comments were from the perspective of that group and not of my own, right? Also note, that just because you help someone doesn't mean you care for them. Take Technical Support for instance. Take, the concept that your trying to help something else (BYOND) by helping the neophytes.

I realized today that my "personas" were swayed in favor of the "coders" because I was aiming to protect them to a certain degree. I designed the "Programmer" from the perspective of the "Coder" which was unfair.

Schnitzelnagler wrote:
If you approach a job interview for molecular modelling and can't answer what VESPR is about, would you really think to have a chance of even being considered? If a mechanic asks you to hand him a tool and you can't because you do not know the name, wouldn't you think that this is a massive flaw for your work? If a professor approaches the class with 'Hi dudez, how r em haning? W8 u lazy basterd' and is supposed to compare the usage of allegory in Shakespeare's work compared to Goethe the very next second, wouldn't that sound strange?

I agree that general terms and their correct usage are not very important (though they help to provide a positive impression), but specific terminology for the specific field you're trying to engage seems essential to me.

So, if you are wrongly given a title, then yes, things would go wrong when you were called into action. If you have no title, then you and anyone else have to communicate what you bring to the table without any assumptions. This is a much slower process. Especially if the process isn't templated in any way.

Americas armies used the same strategy. By telling someone your rank, they knew exactly what to expect from you and so did you even if you were actually incapable of delivering on the promises of that rank. The system works because it takes care of itself for a while. When an opportunity arises, management steps in and corrects any wrongs and then shoves the whole system back out the door to continue on its way.

Schnitzelnagler wrote:
How would you recommend that somebody new to the community would decide whom to hire as programmer? Lacking experience on the field itself, asking for an example is hardly a valid option.

By referral and example of final product. Many managers of many software companies know squat about how a program was written. They only care about how many features they get out of it by the time they release.

I think internally, titles and rankings can provide necessary useful data points.

Titles work in private or in closed circles where it's appreciated but in public, "regular" folks tend to lash out at that kind of thing because they are being reminded of their exclusion.
Schnitzelnagler:

There are always a number of "qualified" people patrolling the forums. If someone gets something wrong, qualified personnel can chime in and correct the wrong so two people learn in a postive meaningful way. No harm, no foul. If the initial responder doesn't make the wrong reply, we miss the opportunity to teach them as well. They will most likely ignore the "correct" response or just skim its internals. If we berate them for giving bad advice, they will stop posting one way or another and we lose this semi-secret method of teaching.

The only concern is if we don't have enough experience patrolling the waters, some bad advice will slip through.
So... something on topic. :) I don't think it's a great idea to take social slang and try to convert it into official titles. I beleive it will backfire.

ts
Stephen001 wrote:
People are apparently not getting the reference:

http://www.byond.com/members/DreamMakers/forum?id=731404
http://www.byond.com/members/DreamMakers/forum?id=731744

lol, I was waiting for someone to finally link that.
Perfect example, conversation I was having with a "coder"

2:23:49 AM) them: Enemy okay as the datum?
(2:24:37 AM) me: enemies should be mobs
(2:25:29 AM) them: Well obviously.
(2:25:38 AM) them: I was saying for the datum name.
(2:26:31 AM) me: A datum is a whole different thing it's not a mob, obj, turf, or area, it's a whole new type that you create that doesn't inherit properties.
(2:26:37 AM) them: I know
(2:26:40 AM) me: I think what you mean is child.
(2:26:43 AM) them: You can assign its parent_type though
(2:26:46 AM) me: mob/enemy
(2:27:08 AM) me: If you assign it a parent type it's not a datum it's a child.
(2:28:46 AM) them: In a way, but typically when you say something like 'Is it okay is I make a ___ type datum'
(2:29:08 AM) them: They obviously mean creating a new child.
(2:29:21 AM) me: Only if they don't understand the meaning.
(2:29:42 AM) them: Usually to avoid confusion.

By using the wrong terminology to avoid confusion they were really creating more confusion.
André Bensoussan once explained to me the difference between a programmer and a designer:

"If you make a general statement, a programmer says, 'Yes, but...'
while a designer says, 'Yes, and...'"

and the difference between those and a coder?

"If you make a general statement, a programmer says, 'Yes, but...', and a designer says, 'Yes, and...'", while a coder says, 'OK, can you just send me the codes?'".

:)

ts

Just wanted to include an alternate link to the article I meant http://gagne.homedns.org/~tgagne/contrib/unskilled.html
Page: 1 2