Someone needs to delete the posts about the "break up". This isn't a pitty party. Anyhow, Congrats to everyone that won. Mainly D5. I hope he manages to update the game, cause it's dope!
I got 10th? Dragon got 2nd? Are you serious? Who judged this? I can understand Megablaze's ranks because it's what he wants to be continued the most, but why are games like Sword (being so small, it has two rooms and one enemy, if I recall), higher than games that actually have content and polish? Screw the money, at least give recognition to the games that deserve it.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
I got 10th? Dragon got 2nd? Are you serious? Who judged this? I can understand Megablaze's ranks because it's what he wants to be continued the most, but why are games like Sword (being so small, it has two rooms and one enemy, if I recall), higher than games that actually have content and polish? Screw the money, at least give recognition to the games that deserve it.

Exactly. My emotional-ass game didn't even an honorable mention, but they give Yut 3rd place? Are you kidding me here bro? His WotS rip gets 3rd place? Is this how we conduct contests on BYOND now?

You know what, forget BYOND, I'm done here. During my time on this site, I have only been mistreated and abused. I shall not stand for it any longer. Good day to you fine gentlemen.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:

Your game didn't have much to it when you submitted it. Anything you upgraded after the due date, is pointless.
Here are my reviews.

ENTRY GAMEPLAY GRAPHICS MUSIC/SOUND POLISH
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1-Bit Space Adventure 2/10 6/10 4/4 1/6

Summary:

First off, I really dig the retro design. However, starting with gameplay.. I
didn't see much of it. What is the use of S, D, & F? I didn't find any items that would
allow me to use those keys for. This clearly is incomplete. Graphics are great. Most of
the art flows together very well. There are only a couple pieces of art that I can't identify.
The music and sound department is perfect. The music fits the atmosphere, and the sound clearly
helps me imagine what I'm doing. Lastly.. polish is a bit of a joke. This entry is very empty.
It has the potential to go further, whether you decide to or not. I honestly couldn't find anything
to do once I got a key from a treasure chest (and unlocked the door). A decent effort, but not
enough to win me over. Overall, I give this entry: 13/30

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brick Escape 4/10 2/10 0/4 2/6

Summary:

This is a fun little puzzle game. The gameplay is quite simple. You move around a map with red & blue
squares/circles. The object is to push the circles into the white markers. Each map has a different
design. I often found myself confused (mostly on map #4) how to complete the map. After a while, it
does get boring, unfortunetly. I can't say too much on graphics. You can tell just by looking at the
art, that it was clearly created by a rookie. There is absolutely no music or sound. This hurts the
score as it could have had some soothing background music to set the mood. I felt like I was playing
a silent Minesweeper at times. As far as it's polish goes; The game works. I think the text output
area could have been designed a bit neater, as well as the player sprite. Overall, I give this entry:
8/30

Captive 2/10 3/10 0.5/4 1/6

Summary:

One thing is for sure.. Who doesn't like zombies? I was hooked when I started hearing the eerie music.
Once I started playing I noticed the gameplay was way too simple, and boring. I did play for a good
20 minutes, but it was too repetitive and seemed incomplete. I had a sword equipped, but I didn't
see a visual. The graphics are somewhat decent. The best part about the graphics were the wall tiles.
A little more effort could have been put into the attack animations. When it comes to music, it really
set the mood for the type of game, but it was also missing some things. No sound effects at all. It
would help the Music/Sound score, but since they're missing.. I'm going to have to score low. Lastly,
the amount of polish is transparent. When I'm fighting off zombies, the attack key doesn't respond
half the time, causing me to die. Everything as a whole, seems quickly slapped together to submit.
Overall, I give this entry: 6.5/30

Cave Clearer 2/10 2/10 0.5/4 1.5/6

Summary:

I always have liked retro-ish games, however this is an odd cookie. You tried something new, but I
feel like it just doesn't work too well. The gameplay comes off as stale to me. It doesn't pull
me in. I think your strongest area is the GUI. The character and town HUD's are designed nicely.
Thats about all I can comment positively on. The terrain doesn't match too well with the character
sprites. You have an 8-bit styles hero, 8-bit enemies, and then grainy looking terrain. The music
is a nice touch, but you're missing sound effects. It's a key element in game design to bring the
action to life. I felt detached from everything because it was too silent (in combat situations).
This game could use a LOT more polish. The combat should be re-done, because ice skating into
enemies isn't exactly entertaining. Not enough challenge, at all.
Overall, I give this entry: 6/30

CazHaz 6/10 7/10 0/4 5/6

Summary:

This type of game isn't my cup of tea, but I will say Minecraft fans would enjoy it. CazHaz
is about looting materials and building things; It does it well. There isn't much else to say
in that area. The graphics are okay. Each sprite is identifiable, so I can tell what every
thing is. I know the developer couldn't help it, but the player sprite could be a little
better. Once again, we have a game with no sound. It's easy to use Google and find some
'free to use' music and sound effects. You basically threw away 4 points because you failed
to find any. I don't understand the logic, but thats your decision. The game is polished
pretty well (from what I could tell). If only the graphics were increased slightly in the
quality, and sound effects were added; This would be a well polished game.
Overall, I give this entry: 18/30

Chaos Keys 6/10 6/10 4/4 3.5/6

Summary:

I like the concept. This has potential to be a really fun game once the issues at hand are fixed.
First off, the gameplay reminds me of Mario Bros. The character design and ladders remind me of
'Legacy of the Wizard' for the NES. I found this game to be a little fun. It has it's problems
though. There is a long delay after pressing 'Enter' to start the game. It also runs choppy
from start to finish. Graphic-wise, everything is neat other than two issues I found. The
first one is the title screen. In the lower right corner, there is a square icon you click to
get directions on controls. It just makes the entire screen look terrible. The other issue is
the white font on the in-game map at the top. It's hard to read against the turfs. Both music
and sound are flawless. Nothing else to say there. When it comes to polish, you could have easily
scored high if the choppy gameplay didn't exist, and the tacky icon wasn't on the title screen.
Fix those up and you'll have a decent game.
Overall, I give this entry: 19.5/30

Contest 0/10 0/10 0/4 0/6

Summary:

This entry truly sums up why being an American is great. Nobody can tell you not to submit a game.
However, once the game is submitted, thats where the law cracks down on the strugglers. It seems
like this was randomly thrown together using various source codes (that were leaked). I suppose
you could ''plead the 5th'' but this isn't a comedy movie, so that wont work. I honestly can't
write a decent review of this game.. It's like my mind was rapidly punctured with poop needles.
Playing this game made me question my morals, and that is a rarity for a Virgo. So thank you
for screwing up the 'Circle of Life'. There will never be another Lion King sequel. Kids will
forever hate you. I hope Disney grabs you by the crotch and casts a magicar kingdomu no jutsu,
you son of a binche biggity banche. Trolololol... blah blah blah. No...
Overall, I give this entry: 0/30

Dragon 7/10 6/10 3/4 5.5/6

Summary:

I enjoyed this entry that plays very similar to "Snake" which is a classic game. From the opening
of the game, to the 'Game Over' screen; I enjoyed what I played (I tried a dozen times). Starting
off with gameplay.. It's quite simple. You use the Left & Right arrow keys to rotate your position and
the movement is constant. Don't let that fool you. It's quite a difficult game as the speed progresses.
I often face-palmed myself at stupid mistakes causing me to lose. SO, kudos to you for allowing me to
connect to the gameplay. I can tell a lot of effort was put into making this a very smooth running entry.
The graphics are simplistic, but very well made. Everything flows together, and from an artists opinion,
you've done well to capture the mood. It's nothing to drool over, though. Maybe you could have made
some props or an interesting looking border around the game map to bring it to life a bit more.
When the game boots up, you are granted with some very "hip" music. I really dig it. The only lacking
area is sound effects. It would be nice to have sound effects when you collect those 'Dragon Bits'.
Lastly.. the polishing on this entry is practicly flawless, and the best thus far. It's way too simple,
so I couldn't grant you a maximum polish score, due to whats mentioned above.
Overall, I give this entry: 20.5/30

Game 6/10 6/10 4/4 3.5/6

Summary:

This is a fun little game you've got. Very Megaman-esque, but for some reason I felt like I was playing
Dragon Ball Z. I can't describe the feeling. Anyhow, this game is decent. The little cut scenes at the
beginning (tutorial) is a great way to get players familiar with your game. The combat is average, but
the look and feel of annihalating the enemies is entertaining. I found the AI un-challenging. They were
shooting at the ground below them and I never took damage even when standing idle. A game breaking bug
hit me in the face while playing. I somehow fell off the map and once that happened.. I was done for.
There was no way for me to continue playing, so I had to restart.. losing all progress. The graphics are
average, but it's good enough to show me whats happening in-game. I really like the health bar/avatar design.
It's simple, but designed very neat. I feel that climbing up ladders should have had an animation that
looks like I'm climbing up, instead of moon-walking up them. I'm sure Michael would be proud though!
The music and sound is good. Like I mentioned earlier, I think what made me think of Dragon Ball Z is the
music. It sounds like the Buu Saga music you hear when Majin Buu is causing some sort of destruction.
It is good though, just funny that it made me feel that way. The fireball sound effect is a nice addition
as well. Perfect in every way. As far as polish goes, like mentioned above. I fell off the side of the map
and that pretty much ended the game for me. The lack of animation for climbing up ladders could have saved
you in the graphics area.
Overall, I give this entry: 19.5/30

And She Will Breathe 6/10 7.5/10 3.5/4 4/6

Summary:

The game starts out with an interesting story. Pretty much you collect orbs throughout the game, in order
to progress further with the dialogue. The platforming was a bit annoying though. You can't jump forward
if you're on the edge of a cliff tile. It just denies you every time. The only challenge I had was the
connecting of the jumps I had to make in order to climb the cliffs. Enemies were eye candy, seeing as they
were idle and basically just watched me infinitely. Kind of a let down, but I see you were trying to focus
mainly on the story telling and atmosphere. The graphics are simple, but I did like the presentation.
The thing that bothered me most was the climbing animation. It looked like I was some sort of insect. The
static effect between dialogue was a nice touch, thus making the story powerful. When it comes to sound,
the music fits the game entirely. It would have been nice to have some sort of dramatic song play at the
"sad" parts of the game. Sound effects for the sword is decent, as well as the wolves. When it comes to the
polish area.. My personal experience is that it's a clean game. The only part that was annoying like said
previously.. is not being able to jump forward when on the edge of a solid turf. It really bothered me.
Overall, I give this entry: 21/30

Gravity 7/10 5/10 3/4 4/6

Summary:

The concept to this entry is interesting. With it's story and gameplay as a whole, it's something that
everyone should give a try. However, I thought the constant Alert()'s after interacting with doors was a
bit overkill. I had to confirm my actions every single time, and it got annoying. What makes this game
fun is the abilities you aquire throughout the adventure. Very Megaman-ish, if you ask me.. and thats
okay with me. I really like the jumping; Seems like the gravity is perfect. The graphics are a bit odd
when it comes to the character design. I don't really like the huge pants the main character is sporting.
The crotch line is too far up as well. As far as turfs go.. They're very simplistic, but they fit the
style as nothing clashes in particular. Sound effects are decent, and the music is bearable. Nothing else
to say about that topic. As far as polish goes... After getting the first power-up, I couldn't access any
doors to progress. Clearly it was a developer flaw, or maybe thats as far as they got with the design.
Overall, I give this entry: 19/30

Horror Game 7/10 8/10 4/4 5/6

Summary:

Oh, my.. Where do I begin? This game looks and feels like a professional indie game. I like the fact that
we can choose multiple classes, and use a variety of skills to survive against the games monsters. Adding
the dynamic lighting pretty much made this game. Monsters + dark environment = a very intriguing atmosphere.
The guns work pretty well, but there is one gripe I have. The way rotating your character works is a bit clunky.
I found myself getting annoyed by the lag between rotation with the mouse. The graphics are amazing for a BYOND
game. Very well, put together. I really like that you added 'flashing' to the monsters taking damage. It adds
an arcade-ish effect. The tileset is high quality, and the mapping job is perfect in my eyes. I have no issues
with the music or sound. All of the sound effects bring the game to life. When you take damge and are near death,
a heartbeat sound plays and you really feel like you're about to kick the bucket. Hearing the monsters moan for
flesh is exciting as well. When it comes to polish, I think you could take a look into your movement and player
rotation (using the mouse) systems and possibly debug to make them smoother. If you do that, your game will be
smooth, and even more attractive!
Overall, I give this entry: 23/30

Rocket Down 4/10 7/10 3/4 4.5/6

Summary:

This was a decent attempt at a shooter that felt similar to the Halo series. However, it fell short
on a few areas in gameplay. I felt like this should have been more than just a pointless deathmatch
game. Didn't really see a reason to play for more than 5 minutes. It's one of those games that requires
players to join your server in order to even try the game. The fundamentals are there, but they're just
applied very bad. When it comes to graphics I believe the characters look good. The particle effects
are very cool when you use the jetpack. I like the 'Alert!' warning when you're over heating as well.
The map could use a few more props to make it stand out. The sound department is somewhat decent.
The music compliments the setting, but the projectile sounds are not what I'd imagine to use for this
kind of game. In the end, the game could use some objectives, better map variation, and possibly different
character designs. It COULD become a fun game, if it's developed further.
Overall, I give this entry: 18.5/30

Sword 6/10 7/10 1.5/4 4/6

Summary:

I felt like this game could be better. The gameplay is your like your average platformer. There are some
things I liked and didn't like (obviously). One thing that got me irritated is the very slow attack
animations. Is that armor really that heavy? I didn't really get along with the combat system too well,
and that hurts your score (at least with me). The graphics were decent. I liked the main characters look.
If you pixeled him, you did very well. The level design is okay too (the spikes could use some work).
Music and sound.. A lot of entries lacked sound effects when it came to combat situation. I do not know
why there is a massive lack of sound effects. When I swing a sword, I want to hear a swing. When I cut
into my enemies.. I want to hear them grunt at the sound of their flesh splitting. Music also needs to
NOT be annoying. As far as polish goes, this one needed a lot of polish. Granted, it was a week contest,
but I feel like you could have focused a bit more on a faster paced combat system, and sound effects.
Overall, I give this entry: 18.5/30

Dungeon 6/10 7/10 3/4 2/6

Summary:

First off, I like this concept. The problem here is that there are zero instructions on how to control
anything. So I went into this game not knowing anything, but I figured out it's simplicity. For being
a last minute entry, I can respect what content it contains. The combat is simple.. You move up to each
mini-dungeon and the fighting is done automatically. I stomped my way to the Wizard, only to die. It was
interesting. I died, but then once greeted at the beginning map, I couldn't choose anything. It must have
bugged up. Not too impressive. The graphics are pretty decent. I found them to be pleasing to the eye, so
I don't have much to comment on there. The start-up screen could have been a bit neater though. Music and sound
is fulfilled well enough. A repetitive song, and sounds for battle. When it comes to the games polish, I felt
like this was rushed. When I joined the game, I clicked D & S and nothing happens. It just says that I'm a
'Dungeon Master'. After dying (when clicking the H to play), you can no longer play the game. Those are bugs
that needs polish in order to even enjoy this title.
Overall, I give this entry: 18/30
Congratulations to the participants. I'm looking forward to seeing future competitions of this quality.
I am thinking of starting one with two BYOND memberships or the same amount in cash I would like some volunteers to judge it.

I also believe that judging is personal preference of the item a panel of 3 or more would determine the winners.

Anyway I took that off topic page me if you are interested in judging, I will also throw in two monthly byondpanel servers.
In response to Branks
Branks wrote:
Your game didn't have much to it when you submitted it. Anything you upgraded after the due date, is pointless.

According to your review, you didn't even bother to see what there was. You didn't even get the gun. I love how you're bashing my game for lack of content when it has way more content than a lot of the entries, entries that you said nothing about not having content. For you to say the polish in my game is a joke, that's ridiculous. You didn't even bother to see it.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Branks wrote:

According to your review, you didn't even bother to see what there was. You didn't even get the gun. I love how you're bashing my game for lack of content when it has way more content than a lot of the entries, entries that you said nothing about not having content. For you to say the polish in my game is a joke, that's ridiculous. You didn't even bother to see it.

I ventured through your game for a good 20 minutes. Didn't find any gun, and no use for S, D, or F. I walked circles around your entire map. If you fixed anything after the first file you sent Oasis, we didn't get it. I wouldn't write large paragraphs if I didn't spend time on the game. I'd just put a single sentence.
In response to Branks
I'm sorry you had such a difficult experience, if that's the case. Everybody else I gave it to seemed to be able to figure it out, even if it wasn't quite obvious. That was kind of the point though. Old games didn't hold your hand.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
I'm sorry you had such a difficult experience, if that's the case. Everybody else I gave it to seemed to be able to figure it out, even if it wasn't quite obvious. That was kind of the point though. Old games didn't hold your hand.

Need a tissue? Contests over bruh.
I'm just fine. In fact, I don't even care about the money. I'm just gonna continue to make my game the best that it can be. It must be understandable, however, when you pour your heart and soul into a game, and it gets such a low score in a contest with so few good entries. All I got from anybody I showed the game to was great feedback, and I was confident. All the judges gave (except Oasiscircle, he seems to love it) was comments making the game sound like a pile of crap. The fact that it got 10th is proof of that.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
I'm just fine. In fact, I don't even care about the money. I'm just gonna continue to make my game the best that it can be. It must be understandable, however, when you pour your heart and soul into a game, and it gets such a low score in a contest with so few good entries. All I got from anybody I showed the game to was great feedback, and I was confident. All the judges gave (except Oasiscircle, he seems to love it) was comments making the game sound like a pile of crap. The fact that it got 10th is proof of that.

You seem like the type of dude who can't take a rejection. I'll tell you this. The "I poured my heart and soul" crap doesn't fly with me. Your game is nothing spectacular. I liked what I saw, but it didn't deliver anything special. Bottom line. Keep updating it, and make it interesting. Hell, I could give you a few ideas. Throwing a fit on forums wont help you though. Real recognize real.
In response to Branks
Branks wrote:
You seem like the type of dude who can't take a rejection.

And maybe this is proof of that trait coming out in me. I'd like to think I can accept rejection if it's well-founded. I just don't see that here. So enough of this. We've both gotten our points across.
In response to Fugsnarf
You were in my top three bro, I personally was a little shocked at the results myself.
I didn't play many of the games very long but the few I did play for longer than 5 mins all had solid controls, great stories or alot of thought put into them.

Your game as interesting , fun and challenging.
Thanks for the bit of encouragement then. I'm over it, and not mad at anybody. Congrats to the winners!

700 ftw
No wonder my game did terribly.

Renaming the project folder of an environment that uses external files causes it to throw a permission alert ("are you sure you want to use blahblah.txt".

I asked Oasiscircle to fix this by putting it in a subfolder, but I guess that didn't matter

It was my mistake that he changed the folder name. I totally understand.
In response to Bravo1
Your game was also in my top three. Despite the alerts I still played it up until the point where you got the first power. After that I'm guessing you sent the wrong version in? The game didn't progress any further for me but I do briefly remember you saying that you had uploaded a different version.

I personally didn't find the text cutscenes to be as annoying as everyone else did, but I'm older, I'm used to text portraying the story and not really being a visual whore who can't sit down and focus on anything for longer than two seconds like most gamers nowadays.

The intro was really what grabbed me, it immediately pulled me into the game- something that just about every game on byond is lacking. 99.9% of the time with any game I play you are simply thrust into the game, no explanations, no back story. I found your game to be very refreshing. I also felt it was well polished. The graphics have a sort of charm and fit well with your game universe (cohesiveness).

The music and sound effects also seemed to fit well into the world you created. The story was something right out of an X-men comic book, so that was definitely up my alley and the potential for new powers made me actually want to finish this game.

You accomplished all of this in the short time span of 10 minutes for me, and I had an incomplete version of the demo you wanted to showcase.

In my book you got 8/10 and that's just based on the short time I did play.

The only real thing I disliked about the game was the inability to speed up text displays, or skip them. Other than that, I thought it was great.
I had uploaded a fixed version which he said he'd put in there, but I guess not.

Oh well.

Thanks for the kind words anyways.
"I personally didn't find the text cutscenes to be as annoying as everyone else did, but I'm older, I'm used to text portraying the story and not really being a visual whore who can't sit down and focus on anything for longer than two seconds like most gamers nowadays."

"The only real thing I disliked about the game was the inability to speed up text displays, or skip them. Other than that, I thought it was great."

Don't be such a young visual whore, jeez.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 31 32 33 34 35