In response to Koil
Your point?
It was only annoying when having to sit and read the same ones you've already triggered if you happened to talk to the computer again for instance.

In that case, being able to skip something you've already seen makes sense.

A lot of other people were complaining about there being text outright, and wanting it to be more visual or perhaps using sound clips.

Don't try to mince words.
@Bravo:
All of the games I played I put in their proper subfolder, I wouldn't lower the value of a game because Oasiscircle screwed up the folders. Even with that being the case, although my top 4 wouldn't have been the same as the ones posted, I would still have an issue with your game. That being that it was too similar to Iji, I think your game and 1bit space adventure both were far too similar to games that are already out there (for 1-bit adventure the similarity was enough to compare it to two rips). It was obvious that the game was "borrowing" style/ideas from already made games, I have issues with people making games with such similarity, and expecting to be praised for something someone else achieved.

FYI, the judges can decide for any reason what their top 4 was. You risked entering and being judged, please try to deal with the results without lashing back. It's also best to look on the bright side, people still found your game interesting, regardless of what the judges decided, take it and run with it. I didn't manage to place in the top 5 in a recent contest, of course I had issues with a couple of the games they picked, but I didn't lash back, I let it slide, people on Byond like the game and are interested in it, so I take that and ignore the contest results.
In response to Megablaze
Megablaze wrote:
FYI, the judges can decide for any reason what their top 4 was. You risked entering and being judged, please try to deal with the results without lashing back. It's also best to look on the bright side, people still found your game interesting, regardless of what the judges decided, take it and run with it. I didn't manage to place in the top 5 in a recent contest, of course I had issues with a couple of the games they picked, but I didn't lash back, I let it slide, people on Byond like the game and are interested in it, so I take that and ignore the contest results.

I get that, and I'm over it. I just kind of overreacted because my entry was so low. I wasn't expecting first, nor even top 4, but 10th just felt unjustified to me. Again, I'm over it, it's done. I'm gonna keep working on my game.
That being that it was too similar to Iji, I think your game and 1bit space adventure both were far too similar to games that are already out there (for 1-bit adventure the similarity was enough to compare it to two rips)

Because Dragon totally isn't the same thing as Snake. If you want to compare games I can match up any of the entries to a very similar game that's already out there. I'd rather not get an "it wasn't original" label when the other games are just as guilty. Not saying it's a bad thing, at all, I'm just saying it's not very good judging to knock one game for one reason, and then let another game pass, even if it does the same thing.

As for being similar to Iji, yeah, I can see that, though personally I've never played the game. Most of my inspiration for Gravity came from Megaman, Metroid, and Ghost Trick (for some of the graphical style).

You're right though, it's too similar, so I'll just stop trying to make games since it can always be compared to something else, and I wouldn't want that, right?

FYI, the judges can decide for any reason what their top 4 was. You risked entering and being judged, please try to deal with the results without lashing back.

I'm not arguing the decisions, I just believe that a lot of people had big issues with my game due to outside influence and that it possibly skewed the results.

I didn't manage to place in the top 5 in a recent contest, of course I had issues with a couple of the games they picked, but I didn't lash back, I let it slide, people on Byond like the game and are interested in it, so I take that and ignore the contest results.

I don't know, how would you feel if they dropped your entry because it was "unoriginal" and then gave first place to a mario clone? (just an example)

If you're going to be critical to an entry you have to be critical to all of them. Otherwise, why have a contest in the first place?
In response to Megablaze
Megablaze wrote:
(for 1-bit adventure the similarity was enough to compare it to two rips)

I'm curious what you're comparing it to. I used ideas that I came up with on my own. Never in the development process did I take inspiration from another indie game. In fact, I don't play a lot of indie games so I probably didn't play these games you're thinking about. I'd say I took a lot of inspiration from games like Zelda or Metroid, but a lot of indie games take inspiration from things, especially old and well-known titles like that. Again, I'm curious to know what these games are, because maybe I can come up with some ideas that would set mine apart a little.
In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:
That being that it was too similar to Iji, I think your game and 1bit space adventure both were far too similar to games that are already out there (for 1-bit adventure the similarity was enough to compare it to two rips)

Because Dragon totally isn't the same thing as Snake. If you want to compare games I can match up any of the entries to a very similar game that's already out there. I'd rather not get an "it wasn't original" label when the other games are just as guilty. Not saying it's a bad thing, at all, I'm just saying it's not very good judging to knock one game for one reason, and then let another game pass, even if it does the same thing.

As for being similar to Iji, yeah, I can see that, though personally I've never played the game. Most of my inspiration for Gravity came from Megaman, Metroid, and Ghost Trick (for some of the graphical style).

You're right though, it's too similar, so I'll just stop trying to make games since it can always be compared to something else, and I wouldn't want that, right?

FYI, the judges can decide for any reason what their top 4 was. You risked entering and being judged, please try to deal with the results without lashing back.

I'm not arguing the decisions, I just believe that a lot of people had big issues with my game due to outside influence and that it possibly skewed the results.

I didn't manage to place in the top 5 in a recent contest, of course I had issues with a couple of the games they picked, but I didn't lash back, I let it slide, people on Byond like the game and are interested in it, so I take that and ignore the contest results.

I don't know, how would you feel if they dropped your entry because it was "unoriginal" and then gave first place to a mario clone? (just an example)

If you're going to be critical to an entry you have to be critical to all of them. Otherwise, why have a contest in the first place?

I don't think Dragon should have gotten in the top 4 either, I didn't judge those. There's a difference between a game having unintentional similarities, and seeing one game in another game. Gravity looked like you played Iji, and decided to make Gravity, it's possible that it may not be the case, but when similarities become as close as that, it becomes uncomfortable for me. Also, regarding the two games that I had issues with in the contest I joined, one was a Disgaea clone, and the other had most of it's foundation build before the contest (which wasn't allowed, or was supposed to be punished if it was done), though I don't know the reason why my game was voted low, doesn't really matter in the end. My crits based on this contest were simply my opinion as I played the game, because Gravity gave me the impression noted above, I wrote it in the review. Other games might have had similar issues, but if they weren't apparent to me, or if I've never played the similar game, it would obviously slide by me. My decision was of course biased, based on my opinion, the current results are as well based on the biased opinion of the judges, that's why there were multiple judges.
Guys, always remember it's not whether you win or lose - it's how you made your game. We're all winners here in some way or another.

Except for Yut.
I don't know what to say other than I've never played Iji. I would very much like it if you stopped Assuming I was intending to copy that game, because it seems like that's what you're saying.

Also, didn't judge dragon? Wasn't every game judged by all the judges?

If not then that would explain a lot of the dissimilarities in the scoring.

I don't know about you but having different people judge different games and give different results will never give a fair and balanced result.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Megablaze wrote:
(for 1-bit adventure the similarity was enough to compare it to two rips)

I'm curious what you're comparing it to. I used ideas that I came up with on my own. Never in the development process did I take inspiration from another indie game. In fact, I don't play a lot of indie games so I probably didn't play these games you're thinking about. I'd say I took a lot of inspiration from games like Zelda or Metroid, but a lot of indie games take inspiration from things, especially old and well-known titles like that. Again, I'm curious to know what these games are, because maybe I can come up with some ideas that would set mine apart a little.

I can't find the game in my files, so I might've deleted it, I don't remember the name or where it came from either, sorry. I could be remembering the game wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was very similar.
And these are BYOND games?

I find it odd that you're critiquing my game so harshly when you can't even remember these games you're comparing it to properly.
In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:
I don't know what to say other than I've never played Iji. I would very much like it if you stopped Assuming I was intending to copy that game, because it seems like that's what you're saying.

Also, didn't judge dragon? Wasn't every game judged by all the judges?

If not then that would explain a lot of the dissimilarities in the scoring.

I don't know about you but having different people judge different games and give different results will never give a fair and balanced result.

I wasn't a judge for the top 4 winners, I judged the games and decided on 1 winner for a prize given personally. What I based my judgement on what also different then the other judges, since it was a personal prize based on different criteria.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
And these are BYOND games?

I find it odd that you're critiquing my game so harshly when you can't even remember these games you're comparing it to properly.

It wasn't a Byond game at all, no, it was an indie game, and the fact that the game that I haven't played in quite a while stuck out so much seems to be fair judgment on considering similarities.

[Edit:]
Please remember when I'm making these comments about similarities, it's my personal view based on what I've played and what I find similar. Not everyone will feel that way, particularly not the judges for this contest (apart from my personally chosen prize).
Yeah, I suppose that's fair to notice that if it's true. But, as Bravo pointed out, I don't really see that as a fair way to be so critical of the game. I mean, Dragon literally is a Snake clone. It didn't have unintentional similarities, that much is incredibly obvious. In fact, I could compare pretty much every game on the list to something, and the comparison could be very well founded and deep.

And we're just talking here, I'm not criticizing your judging, just the judging overall. You had something different to look for in your judging.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Yeah, I suppose that's fair to notice that if it's true. But, as Bravo pointed out, I don't really see that as a fair way to be so critical of the game. I mean, Dragon literally is a Snake clone. It didn't have unintentional similarities, that much is incredibly obvious. In fact, I could compare pretty much every game on the list to something, and the comparison could be very well founded and deep.

And we're just talking here, I'm not criticizing your judging, just the judging overall. You had something different to look for in your judging.

It's true that Dragon was a Snake clone, that's why I wouldn't have placed it in the top 4, I can just go back and edit my post if you preferred... The other games do have some similarities, all games have some kind of similarity to something else, that Cave Clearer game was sort of an RPG Snake, but I haven't played an RPG Snake game, though it's similar to snake, I consider it a new idea. The only reason I noted those two games (and I suppose Dragon too) is because I feel like I'm playing another game, and it sticks out to me, so I had an issue with it.
All this whinging is really putting me off holding one of these ... you can't all just be happy that you made something within a week?
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
All this whinging is really putting me off holding one of these ... you can't all just be happy that you made something within a week?

No. Happiness is taboo on BYOND - you've been here long enough to know that by now.
In response to EmpirezTeam
So are original games apparently.
If you judge fairly, there won't be any issues. Obviously there were people in this contest, myself included, that had issues with the judging. A lot of things were simply not expected, and not in a good way necessarily.

What I would suggest is a different approach to the judging. I'm not sure what that would be, but I think I'm not alone when I say I don't think the judging was all that fair. I am indeed happy and proud of what I made, even if most of the judges thought it was #10 material. That's the reason I overreacted, I wasn't expecting 1st, or even top four let's say, but 10th just seemed outrageously ridiculous when comparing it to the other entries that beat it. Again, I realize I was out of place and should have just shut up. I'll do that in the future, sorry guys.
Everyone is allowed to have there own opinion you guys took it a bit far IMO, whats done is done the judging was completed the winners announced and the prizes distributed.
Yes, that's true. I do however think that judging needs to be based more on fact than opinion. A game's gameplay is a fact, it's either good or it isn't, intuitive or not. Same with the sound and music, it either makes your ears bleed or sounds good. Same with the graphics, either they complement the game or they clash at every turn or somewhere inbetween. Same with polish. It's either good or it isn't. Some may like a certain style better than an other, but when it comes down to it the game needs to be judged based these facts and not on personal preference unless it's stated that that's what it's being judged on (as in the case of Megablaze). Your personal preference is if you'll play the game or not. Maybe you don't like strategy games, then you won't personally enjoy a strategy game entry as much. However, that strategy game has all sorts of things that can be factually criticized without any type of bias.

This is why even someone who doesn't necessarily enjoy Japanese RPGs that much can still make an excellent review on them (for example: Classic Game Room's Mark).
Page: 1 2 3 ... 32 33 34 35