ID:91248

Descriptive Problem Summary:
Whenever I try to play a game, the blue dream seeker box just says "Launching game...".. i've tried relogging, uninstalling then reinstalling, as well as restarting the computer.

Oh.. and I'm not sure what kind of Vista I have.. it's a laptop and I haven't ever received any of the infamous problems with it.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Log in, select a game from my favorites (or any other section) and then try to connect.

Expected Results:
For the game to pop up
Actual Results:
The blue dream seeker box pops up and says "Launching game.."
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Yes
In other games?
Yes.
In other user accounts?
Yes.
On other computers?
I don't know.

When does the problem NOT occur?
It didn't happen yesterday.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

I'm not sure if the build is the problem.. other than after the problem showed ,I haven't reinstalled byond in a month or two (possibly more.)

While getting stuck on "Launching game" is a bug, we don't have any information we can test to reproduce this report. Normally in these kinds of cases I recommend trying to hash it out on the BYOND Help forums first.

You mentioned you did try reinstalling and rebooting, and neither of those worked. That leaves me with some followup questions:

1) Have you tried clearing BYOND's cache (in the pager's Preferences)? This has usually fixed similar issues in the past. (Before you do that though, please go to your user data directory and make a backup copy of cache/byond.rsc. If clearing the cache solves your problem, please zip up the old .rsc file and send it to me at [email protected] for analysis.)

2) Have you installed anything else recently?

3) Have you recently made configuration changes to a firewall or router?

4) Which specific games have you tried to join? Links to their hub entries would be most helpful.

5) Are you able to launch a game you downloaded, to play on your own computer?

6) If you make a backup copy of the /cfg directory in your user data folder (renaming it to cfg-old should do the trick), does the problem go away? Uninstalling and reinstalling does not alter this folder so a configuration problem in BYOND would not be fixed that way.
Closing this report due to lack of followup.