ID:92113

Keywords: techtree

Tom just announced that a release candidate of the next version of BYOND is available.  Read the changes.  The hub will be updated once it proves to be stable.

There aren't a lot of items this week so it appears I'm posting early.  Enjoy.

EGUY recently released Deus Rex and I've added it to the guild.  It's a game for one or more players.  Each player has a selection of tiles.  Each turn, a tile is placed on the board.  The neighbors and board positions affect how many points that tile is worth.  This continues until the board is full.  The player with the most points wins.  Go play it.

Ganing's base defense game, Seika SE, is again listed in the guild.  It was previously filtered out when he expressed disinterest in the project and the guild's standards changed.  With the help of Turo Azai, Ganing has been providing multiple updates.  Development is therefore active enough to keep the game listed even though it still lacks a help file.  I'd add one soon, Ganing.

The Magic Man has uploaded a version of his team-based action game with commander roles, R.T.S Game.  Others can now host their own servers, but be aware that at least 4 players are required.  In addition, Druid, Gambler, Saboteur and Samurai units were added.

I suggest reformatting the help files as it's a bit hard to wade through all that text, The Magic Man. =)

Mechanos7 recently uploaded a minor update to his turn-based tactical wargame, Riverside.  As usual, details are provided on the hub page.  Meanwhile, unit ideas are welcome in the game's discussion tab.  Mechanos7 will be hosting a server all day so check it out.

Gamemakingdude now has a lot of school work on his plate.  His BYOND projects are being pushed to the side.  The source for his RTS, The Path To Glory, has been released.  It's unfinished, but that hasn't silenced complaints about the possibility of "rips".  I always want to slap someone when this happens.

News flash: If a developer releases their source code then, licensing issues aside, the ethical complications of using it are gone.  If the source is ignored, nothing happens.  If the source is used, it adds variety to the rest of the source code available.  The more source code is released, the more variety there will be in derivative games!

I've been working on my tactical mutation boardgame, Genetic Fork.  In the process, I've created a multiple game room library and a library for automatically starting/ending games based on the number of players.  (They might seem simple, but I get sick of rewriting this stuff.)  Unfortunately, the parent_type var doesn't seem to merge the two datums as I thought it might.  Check out my post in Dream Makers if you think you can help... or know it just isn't possible.

Fooldom Come: One subscription. Many games.

Got news? Did I mention that Idle Thumbs is back or that Holy Goalie has taken over for Commander Tim in the GameHounds podcast?

If i made C++ rts games, would you mention them here?
Unlikely. Granted, I mentioned Crispy/Inventive Dingo's Mayhem Intergalactic, but that was just because it was based on his BYOND game. This column is about BYOND.
ACWraith wrote:
Unlikely. Granted, I mentioned Crispy/Inventive Dingo's Mayhem Intergalactic, but that was just because it was based on his BYOND game.

Hmm, i understand thanks anyway.
Variety aside, it should be noted that when a developer releases a source code, it by definition can't be a rip. As that is someone using developers work without consent.

In six more weeks, you'll have been posting this column for three years, going to do anything special to mark the occasion?
Thanks for the shout out! :D

Did several updates for Deus Rex today so it's looking better. My goal is to have 16 Miracles, 16 Constructs, and 16 Followers to choose from. Plus whatever bonus tiles I might hand to members on the first or last turn (still assessing how detrimental it is to go first vs. last). Right now (as of v. 10) there are 5 Miracles, 9 Constructs, and 11 Followers.